Washing M/F Towels

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Washing M/F Towels

Ok first off I know how to do it so don't say search ... what I'm looking for is the methodology when you have a front load high efficiency washer.

Up till now I used Dawn in the top load washing machine and added vinegar to the rinse but the front loaders don't like high sudsing detergents.

It was suggested by the appliance store that I soak the towels in a 20 L ( 5 gal) pail with water & Dawn then hand wring them out and put them in the front loader on a rinse cycle.

My thoughts is doing the above but a full wash cycle and let the residual Dawn which is diluted do its thing.

What do the rest of you that have front loaders do?

In the detailing season I do a couple loads a week.

TYIA
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Washing / Care Directions (Towels)

Heat acts as a catalyst promoting quicker reactions between chemicals and the soil thereby minimizing dwell time. Warm or hot water helps dissolve grease and oil in soil, agitation or hand rubbing helps pull the soil free. This concentrated aqueous formula is a special blend of surfactants, emulsifiers, chelating agents and water softeners.

Pre-Soak Micro Fibre Towels

Micro fibre towels can "load-up" with residues reducing their effectiveness. Don't let polish residues dry in the fibres as dried hardened product can cause scratches and product chemicals can negatively affect the fibres

Once you have finished detailing with the towel, allow it to soak in a bucket with approx 0.5 oz per gallon water and a d-limonene (citrus) based cleaner P21S®® Total Auto Wash. Or use Optimum Power Clean™ diluted 2:1 (or stronger) with distilled water) or a micro fibre detergent (Micro-Restore). This will make it easier to clean and prolong the life of the towel as any chemicals that could potentially harm the fibres are removed sooner, keep in mind that excessive use of powerful degreasers may eventually damage the fabric.

When you are ready to clean them, rinse well, re-wash and leave to air-dry

• Wash / Rinse after using and before you use a different product (i.e. don’t use to remove polish and then apply wax) to avoid cross contamination
• Always wash towels separately from other fabrics using hot water, the primary consideration is detergent residue so always use a detergent that is clean-rinsing
• Wash drying towels separate from wax/polish towels
• Washing your towels on a regular basis without allowing them get too soiled, they will last much longer
• Some detergents contain enzymes, which don't work well in cold water.
• Woolite® is intended for delicate fabrics and fine washables such as lingerie and cashmere sweaters, so it won’t remove polish or car care products
• Soak towels in Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda or soda crystals) or Optimum Power Clean™ as it effectively removes oil and grease
• As a pre-spotter: dilute 1 part concentrates with 3 parts hot water, apply to stain and launder as usual.
• Waxes and polymer sealants are not water soluble; they dry and adhere to the towels fibres. Cold water will simply allow them to remain in a solid state and not completely wash off.
• Hot water, however, allows them to soften and loosen from the threads and allows the detergent to act as it should and lift the contaminants from the fabric. Use medium heat, 104 .oF (40.o C) and add 1-2 ounces to a standard size (8 gallon) load, for larger loads or heavily soiled laundry
• Use a liquid detergent (or a speciality product like Micro-Restore) without softener, bleach, whiteners.
• If possible buy the versions that are perfume and additive free as all these do is chemically coat the fabric and reduce its efficiency.
• Using half the washing detergents manufacturers suggested amount is usually sufficient
• During the rinse cycle add 1-tsb per towel white distilled vinegar (acetic acid that once diluted with water, the acid content is approximately 3-4% of the total solutions) this will help dissolve detergent and hard water minerals.
• Do not use fabric softeners or toss-in sheets, as they deposit chemicals (silicone, etc) on the fabric and render them ineffective. These chemicals will also transfer to whatever you are cleaning or polishing with the towel.
• Clean the lint screen before and after every wash session
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Dale, I have been using Detailers Pride (DP) Microfiber Cleaner with the hot water cycle. A mild dryer brings the towels back very nicely.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Believe it nor not, I wash all my towels by hand.
1. I put soap in the sink first, soak my towels in the warm water for 20 minutes.
2. Put water in a clean bucket, transfer all the towels to bucket.
3. Take it out 1 by 1 and wash them in the sink with running warm water.
4. Wring it out and put it in the dryer on low heat for 60 minutes, then no heat for another 60 minutes.
It comes out brand new again, I also use DP Microfiber soap.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I don't have that kind of time ...