AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Wash & Wax (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/)
-   -   Wash Car With or Without Soap? (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/wash-car-without-soap-143876/)

ancz9 06-14-2004 12:39 AM

Wash Car With or Without Soap?

My neighbor told me that I shouldn't use soap when I wash my car because it strips the car of its wax. He said that I should just use water when washing it. Is this true? If I should use soap, what kind of soap is good to use?

Crazy Bimmer 06-14-2004 12:47 AM

use car soap.

Im guessing you are using dish washing soap to wash your car, which will strip the wax off your car.

ancz9 06-14-2004 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
use car soap.

Im guessing you are using dish washing soap to wash your car, which will strip the wax off your car.

HELL NO. I'm using car soap.

Crazy Bimmer 06-14-2004 12:57 AM

What kind? If it says car shampoo/soap then you are good to go. Kick your neighbor in the nuts for me. :cool:

pimpscls 06-14-2004 01:16 AM

my dad says the same shit, dont worry use soap man

BEETROOT 06-14-2004 01:21 AM

you neighbor doesn't know what he is talking about. like teh jesal said, dish soap strips wax, car wash soap does not

ancz9 06-14-2004 01:33 AM

yeah, I figured he was full of ish.

4pumpedCL 06-14-2004 02:12 AM

I use dawn dish soap. Works great!

mattg 06-14-2004 02:19 AM

your neighbor is a moron

mattg 06-14-2004 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by 4pumpedCL

squeeky clean :nod:

Shawn S 06-14-2004 06:58 AM

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/images/z-7.jpg

Slimey 06-14-2004 07:43 AM

As above, OK to use soap. Automobile car wash soap is designed to be more 'gentle' and not strip wax as effectively. It is a bit less alkaline (or more neutral) then dishwashing soap. Dishwashing soap will not hurt the finish of the car.

That being said, if you wax (ie: carnauba like stuff) your car, you will strip some off when you clean it or when you drive it. Depending on how often you wash your car, you might want to re-wax it just after you wash it to keep the finish sparkly bright.

The polymers like Zaino are more resistant to wear and last through the washes, especially with car wash soap.

Chopsie 06-14-2004 07:10 PM

Use teh Soap, neighbor :screwy:

adventurer 06-14-2004 07:40 PM

Car & Driver published an article years ago, I'm guessing ten, that compare car soaps and dish detergents. P&G's Ivory liquid came out on top. Dawn is also made by P&G. However, times and automotive paints evolve, so this dated info.

adventurer 06-14-2004 07:45 PM

Car & Driver published an article years ago, I'm guessing ten, that compared car soaps and dish detergents. P&G's Ivory liquid came out on top. Dawn is also made by P&G. However, times and automotive paints evolve, so this dated info.

adventurer 06-14-2004 07:46 PM

Car & Driver published an article years ago, I'm guessing ten, that compared car soaps and dish detergents. P&G's Ivory liquid came out on top. Dawn is also made by P&G. However, times and automotive paints evolve, so this is dated info.

18anatak 06-14-2004 10:15 PM

I use Meguiar's Gold Class soap on mine.

every time i see people say that using dishwashing soap for you car, i just shake my head. Its absolutely horrible for your paint. Not only does it strip the wax, the robs the clear coat of all its oils, which in turn, dries it out, which can cause premature oxidation. Oxidation = cloudy, no shine.

For all the people who use dish soap on your car, do you use car soap on your dishes?

EricL 06-16-2004 12:46 AM

:werd:

EricL 06-16-2004 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 4pumpedCL

Yes, it does remove the wax and all kinds of stuff. It's a bit strong to be using for "regular" car washes and won't help your paint to last too long.

EricL 06-16-2004 12:54 AM

A car wash will "float" the grime off the surface of the paint. Deionized water can do a better job than plain tap water for cleaning windows and other surfaces, but is still missing surfactants and mild detergents to suspend and pull/float the crud away from the paint.

BTW, if the car is not too dirty, it's possible to use some good quick detail spray (Zaino Z6) and a microfiber towel. The dirt I speak of is actually more akin to dust, so beware... If it doesn't come off with a light wipe, it's time for a real wash...

YMMV