Wait To Wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 07:35 AM
MPJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait To Wax

Some people claim that you should wait a period of time on a new car before you wax it. I've heard 3 anything from one month to six months. I think this was true before clearcoat.

Is this true with new paint technology such as clearcoats? If so, how long from original painting should you wait?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Advanced

Use a wax that is free of solvents and abrasives and you can wax it within 24 hours.

Optimum spray wax can be used within hours of a repaint because it is not solvent based nor is it abrasive. It is more of a polymer than a wax.

Anthony
Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Quote: Optimum spray wax can be used within hours of a repaint because it is not solvent based nor is it abrasive. It is more of a polymer than a wax. Anthony Orosco

Thanks for the information Anthony, another product I can add to my ‘fresh paint safe’ list. I think many assume that a polymer seals the surface and therefore are unsuitable for use as a ‘fresh paint safe’ product.

b) Newly re- painted vehicle-
Oil-based paint, lacquer or enamel and low solids paint systems are formulated with solvents (30-80% dependant upon manufacturer) once applied paint needs to dry and the solvents need to (out-gas) evaporate for sixty to ninety days (60-90) to enable the paint off gassing and aerobic curing, if the paint is covered with a conventional wax or sealant it will arrest the outgas/cure process.

c) Water-based high solid/low solvent urethane paints used by PPG, DuPont, BASF and most other paint manufacturers are not as chemically resistant as the older paint systems but do not require time for the outgas/ aerobic cure process, as they are either catalyzed (i.e. a chemical process that cures paint) or oven-dried, but I would suggest waiting for approximately seven to ten days before any product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing. Professional painters add chemicals; accelerants and compounds to their paint mix prior to painting to improve flexibility, reduce paint imperfections, increase hardness, improve gloss and reduce curing times.

c) Applied after polishing, a glaze is the make-up that hides flaws and gives paint the sheen it had in the showroom. The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine (to produce a high shine) amino-functional mineral oils, solvent, and mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, they exclude silicone and wax, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’

d) The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ type product, i.e. Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, 3M™ Perfect-It III™ Show Car Finishing Glaze, Meguiar’s #5 New Car Glaze or Zanio Z Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) these products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in an oil-based paint outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface.

e) Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid an abrasive polish)

f) Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid any harsh detergents or any car wash that uses a high-pressure spray or wax

g) A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating, easily dulled and very easily scratched, so choose carefully the advice you listen to and most importantly what advice you act upon.

Note: The body-shop / paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice so as not to void any warranty
JonM
Old 06-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm Baaack!

MPJs original question was regarding a "new" vehicle. TOGWT made some very good points including the distinction of a "newly re- painted vehicle".

There is a difference between a new vehicle (low to no miles) and a newly painted vehicle. A new vehicle's paint is at least several days to possibly several months old. I am not aware of any cases where a new production vehicle's paint would not be fully cured prior to delivery.

Therefore, the question for a new vehicle would be what kind of materials have been applied in the dealer prep. In that case, ask the Sales manager or the detailer (if they are available) about the products that were applied prior to your taking delivery.