Uses for Menzerna Micro Polish?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uses for Menzerna Micro Polish?

I recently bought a Porter Cable. Since I have some light to medium swirling, I only bought the Menzerna Micro Polish (final polish II, their lightest polish) and a White Lake Country CCS Pad. Well I underestimated the level of polish I needed and it didnt do much for my car.

What can the Micro Polish be used for? Is it just meant to clean up hazing and micromarring from a more aggressive polish? can I use it as a pre-wax cleaner?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:17 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Do you have a more aggressive pad? such as orange?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:25 PM
07 NBP TL Type-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no unfortunately, this is the first time i've done anything with a PC and I wanted to keep costs down initially. I told myself I would buy the more aggressive stuff if I needed it. I do so here I am
Old 01-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bullpup
I recently bought a Porter Cable. Since I have some light to medium swirling, I only bought the Menzerna Micro Polish (final polish II, their lightest polish) and a White Lake Country CCS Pad. Well I underestimated the level of polish I needed and it didnt do much for my car.
You'll probably need an Orange pad and something more aggressive (med. cut compound) like Intensive Polish, Optimum Compound or PB SSR2.5.

What can the Micro Polish be used for? Is it just meant to clean up hazing and micromarring from a more aggressive polish? can I use it as a pre-wax cleaner?
It's mainly a finishing polish and can be used to for general cleaning and removing oxidation. It also removes hazing, marring and other blemishes left behind by more aggressive polishes.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Racer

You have a BLACK car, you are screwed! ha..ha.. J/K!
You are going to want a Polishing compound like Menzerna Power Gloss &/or medium polish like the Menzerna Super Intensive Polish or SSR2 Optimum Compound etc. Then buy a LCC Yellow Pad and Orange pad to use with your Compound. Together with the right combination you really can correct your paint quite extensively. Start with the orange pad and if you are still not getting the results you are after try bumping up to the yellow pad. I love Black cars and I have one but boy are they a bear to keep looking great. No matter how careful you are you will marr the paint to some extent at some point. I am curently looking into an all in one cleaner/polish/protect product like XMT360 because it has some "filling" ability for the minor scratches between Polishings otherwise I want to Polish my car every week! By the end of the year I wouldn't have any paint left on my car LOL! Like others have stated above your final polish is meant more for shine and eliminating very fine micro marring etc from compounding or very light spider webbing. It was not designed for removing heavy swirls and neither is the white pad for that matter. Good Luck!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to the detail club. If your TL-S paint is like mine then I understand why you did not get the results you wanted. The paint is pretty hard so you will need a light cutting pad like the orange LC CCS pad. I am a fan of Meguiars products so I used an orange pad with Megs DACP (#83) and that worked great for removing all of the swirls and scratches. I followed the #83 with Megs Speed Glaze (#80) with a white LC CCS pad but this combo did not do that much which is similar to what you experienced. This second step was not necessary since the Megs #83 did not leave any micromarring. I could have just gone to the sealant or wax. I will perform my spring detail using the Megs Speed Glaze (#80) with an orange LC CCS pad.

If you like Menzerna then I would get a couple of orange LC CCS pads along with some Menzerna Super Intensive Polish (SIP) and that should be a comparable combination to the orange pad and Megs #83 I used. If the SIP leaves some micromarring then the Menzerna Micro Polish on an orange pad should work since you have already had limited success using the Micro Polish on a white pad.

Last edited by SweetJazz; 01-06-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:37 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
This may help- Menzerna Polishes Methodology Parts I & II

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=893305

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-part-ii.html
Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Safety Car

Great write-up Jon . . . I have them bookmarked for future references. Thank You!
Old 01-08-2008, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Great write-up Jon . . . I have them bookmarked for future references. Thank You!
Thank you for those kind words.

See also-Menzerna Polishes Methodology Parts I & II

Part I - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-part-ii.html

Part II - http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-part-ii.html
Old 01-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I used Intensive Polish with an orange pad, then followed it up with Final Polish using a white pad....the results are AMAZING!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
I used Intensive Polish with an orange pad, then followed it up with Final Polish using a white pad....the results are AMAZING!
These diminishing abrasive polishes (Menzerna Professional Polishes) are foam pad ‘dependant’ as far as its paint correction / renovation abilities are concerned and require friction to ‘breakdown’ and for this reason they are best suited to a high-speed rotary polisher; remember to use the least invasive product first before ‘stepping-up’ to the next abrasive level. It is preferable to polish 2-3 times to restore the paint film surface than to use an unnecessarily abrasive polish / foam combination The use of a duel level foam pad / single polish correction system; will change the way each polish works in accordance to which pad you use (i.e. use a polishing pad followed by a finishing pad) and will really heighten the paint finish shine.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 AM

They do contain a petroleum distillate (silicone oil) but it's a lubricant, not a solvent. They do not contain any fillers, glaze or silicones, but the lubricating oils and / or wax tend to fill the surface fissures, which is a good reason (if a reason is needed) to perform a wipe-down of the polished surface (Top Inspection, Isopropyl alcohol or PrepSol)