Unbiased review of Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 05:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbiased review of Zaino

Like many of you, I have read all the glowing reviews of Zaino (www.zainobros.com) by the die hard believers on this board. Based on this, I ordered the Z1/Z2/Z6/Z7 products. The total with shipping was just over $46. I applied the Z1 and Z2 today (one coat each) per instructions. Here are my observations:
-Application is very easy, just be sure not to use too much. Very litte seems to work best.
-Temperature is very important. Drying today took about 2hrs at 65degrees before you could remove it. Don't try to remove it too soon, or you will just smear it around.
-Removal is fairly easy if you allow it to dry completely first. Don't get too anxious.
The results are very impressive. It leaves a slick surface, and very deep shine. I have been a big fan of Meguiars for a long time, but this truly does give a better result. I can't comment on the longevity of the application, but it seems as though the "Zaino-heads" are really correct. This is a great product at a very reasonable price. Link to pictures here:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...2654702&f=null

------------------
2001 CL-S Nighthawk Black/ Parchment, Spoiler, no-nav,
1968 GTO Convertible Red/Wht
1956 Ford F100 Blue

[This message has been edited by ord cl-s (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 04-19-2001, 07:31 PM
Adult Supervision

I have been reading alot on the autopia-carcare site and there are some good discussions on Zaino. Some of the well educated think it creates too much of a glass look - pure reflection - and not enough depth of color. Some disagree. They all seem to love Klasse as a sealer - except for the Zaino guy who like Klasse, but thinks Z is better. Interesting reading - check it out.

www.autopia-carcare.com

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 9005, Polarg M6, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, no headers, no sway bars, no springs, no CAI, no money! (but I got a nice new kitchen!)
Old 04-19-2001, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Klasse has been around forever. It's a durable synthetic polish that is a B@#$ to work with because you have to wipe on and wipe off. If you let it dry, its VERY hard to buff off...no thanks. Try it....you will see what I mean. Perhaps you will like it. Also, its an acrylic formula....you don't see many of them on the market any more which should tell you something. I am not bashing the product, it is durable and not a bad sealer....but in my opinion it's no comparison to zaino in ease of use, layering capability, and reflective, perfect optical shine. Also, I don't think half the people that complain about zainos "reflective look" have ever tried it. If you like the old carnuba oily greasy look....zaino is not for you.
Old 04-20-2001, 12:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I couldn't have the Zaino, I would use the TS Clear Coat. It has a realy wet look, and my wife's car sits out in the sun. It looks perfect so far. (The carnuba, would always be gone by now...)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-20-2001, 01:20 AM
Advanced

What is TS clear coat.....give me some info on it.......
Old 04-20-2001, 05:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bill97Z:
What is TS clear coat.....give me some info on it.......</font>
Here you go, an excerpt from an earlier post:

Preface:

(I'm talking about my wife's car, a 1995 Altima GXE -- it needed a good detail and waxing, and had a few too many scratches and swirl marks. The detailer removed 98% of the scratches and swirl marks, and the car looks better than the day we bought it [I'm not kidding]. She is thrilled, and after every wash, it looks better and better!)

Excerpt starts here:

Her car went to the detailer 2 weeks ago and got an application of a product called:
TS ClearCoat. This is the best I have ever seen the car look!

The finish is excellent, the product lasts for 6 months and they use it on F14 fighter jets.

You might want to check out the following link:

http://www.tsservices.com/cc.htm

-- end of except --

It has been a while, and the car sits in the sun *and* it gets covered with dirt, dust, and road grime. We are not to far from a major street (its an Avenue), but you can pick up rubber dust and soot from a car on that road after about 20 minutes.

The finish has a very "WET" look and keeps looking wetter as time goes on (sounds nuts, be we both notice, and the neighbors have commented on how much time we must spend keeping it looking so nice [if they only knew]).

I mentioned that the detailer who turned us on to it (he did the job) said he would put on anything we wanted (Zaino, Carnuba, various other Acrylics, etc). He said, that for her use, the Carnuba would be useless and the car would be back every 2-3 months and he couldn't guarantee that the car's finish would NOT need more polishing.

He used a paint depth gauge on the finish and actually left some small scratches in the finish. He said if he removed the last few tiny scratches, that he would be removing too much clear coat and this would impact the UV blocking properties. So, we wanted to make sure that we protected the car, but got a really nice look. He suggested the TS Clear Coat and he hasn't been wrong yet!

Have a look. I haven't applied it myself (since I'm a Zaino nut). But it really looks good so far.

BTW -- my car is more reflective and glass like (Silver), but her's has more of a "Wet" look (Burgandy). We are both happy very happy with (Zaino and TS Clear Coat)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 8 coats of Zaino magic

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 04-20-2001).]
Old 04-21-2001, 11:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i'm a former meguiars user also. i still use the leather and tires tuff.

i tried zaino out and thought it was a slightly better result (on a silver car). i didn't get a chance to z5 it enough times (only 1 time 'cuz i was very strapped for time) and then z2ed it the next day (hey, it was my only 2 days at home).

that's pretty much the only 2 products i have ever used, meguiars and now zaino. tried zymol once on my last car and wasn't too impressed with it over meguiars gold class.

but i like it and think it's worth it if you really care for the appearance of your car.