Type of leather in a 4th Gen TL with Milano leather?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Type of leather in a 4th Gen TL with Milano leather?

Hi all,
I've done a lot of searching on this and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I just sold my 02 TL and purchased an 09 TL with the Tech package / Milano leather upgrade. I purchased the 02 used and by the time I got it, the driver leather seat was cracked pretty severely.

I want to protect my 09 leather as long as possible. I've read lots of comments about how the leather is actually coated with some type of plastic coating and that it doesn't make sense to try and condition the leather as the conditioner never makes it past the plastic layer.

Is this also true for the Milano leather? I have read that the Milano leather is full -grain leather, but I'm not even sure what that means.

Anyone know if there's any benefit to conditioning milano leather? Is it coated or uncoated? Really, I'm just wanting to make sure I use the right (And best) product to keep these beautiful seats as soft as possible for as long as possible.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seans5
Hi all,
I've done a lot of searching on this and can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I just sold my 02 TL and purchased an 09 TL with the Tech package / Milano leather upgrade. I purchased the 02 used and by the time I got it, the driver leather seat was cracked pretty severely.

I want to protect my 09 leather as long as possible. I've read lots of comments about how the leather is actually coated with some type of plastic coating and that it doesn't make sense to try and condition the leather as the conditioner never makes it past the plastic layer.

Is this also true for the Milano leather? I have read that the Milano leather is full -grain leather, but I'm not even sure what that means.

Anyone know if there's any benefit to conditioning milano leather? Is it coated or uncoated? Really, I'm just wanting to make sure I use the right (And best) product to keep these beautiful seats as soft as possible for as long as possible.

Thanks!
Did u ever get an answer?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Yes our leather is coated.
Yes there is a benefit to conditioning the leather because the coating is porous.
The following users liked this post:
seans5 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 AM
Advanced

Just the message from C8N below. There's a lot of conflicting info out there, but I'm thinking the same thing C8N says. Will proceed accordingly. :-)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The leather used for automotive upholstery has a finish applied that comprises a semi-permeable polyurethane protective layer and an abrasion resistant topcoat.

There is a great deal of conflicting information on leather care being put out by leather experts themselves who use baffling pseudo scientific techno speak as another marketing ploy, which makes it difficult to find a definitive, unbiased answer.

Here is one definitive truth –you are dealing with the leathers finish, not the hide itself. The use of oils, replacement of fat liquor, oil-based conditioning, proteins or the adjustment of pH levels is totally unnecessary; the surface is a urethane that contains pigmentation (colour) it neither needs or benefits from any of the above

This is an extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki article - “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Old 08-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
The leather used for automotive upholstery has a finish applied that comprises a semi-permeable polyurethane protective layer and an abrasion resistant topcoat.

There is a great deal of conflicting information on leather care being put out by leather experts themselves who use baffling pseudo scientific techno speak as another marketing ploy, which makes it difficult to find a definitive, unbiased answer.

Here is one definitive truth –you are dealing with the leathers finish, not the hide itself. The use of oils, replacement of fat liquor, oil-based conditioning, proteins or the adjustment of pH levels is totally unnecessary; the surface is a urethane that contains pigmentation (colour) it neither needs or benefits from any of the above

Besides cleaning ( dirt is one of the worst enemies of todays auto leather ) what do you suggest for a "dressing" that is of benefit?
Old 08-23-2013, 04:57 AM

Basic 3- Step Leather Care

1. Clean
2. Hydrated
3. Protected

Anyone interested in the proper care / maintenance of auto leather upholstery should take the time to read the article's that are hyper linked in the post above

Protection - is essential as it will protect the surface finish (Leather Master™ - Protection Cream) as a sacrificial layer; this way you are not actually cleaning the Leather's original surface, but cleaning from the surface of the protection. It also makes dirt easier to clean off and provides some ‘insurance against stains. This does not mean that cleaning becomes unnecessary, but it will be more effective and cleaning products can be less aggressive and still achieve good results.

Leather Protection will also work to remove small surface scratches on finished leathers. In general, Leather Protection Cream is used as a final step in combination with most of the Leather Master products.

Leather Master™ - Protection Cream (a Scotchgard™ type product specifically formulated for lather) the polymers penetrate the surface of finished leather and cross-link to form a durable protective film that is breathable, allowing transpiration and keeps the leather supple. Being aqueous (water- based) it restores moisture to finished leather and provides a protective sacrificial barrier against all kinds of soiling, water, oil, alcohol-based stains and perspiration marks, so you are cleaning the protective layer
Old 08-24-2013, 12:11 AM
Advanced

This is an extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki article - “Proper Finished Leather Cleaning and Care” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html

You know... it's funny. The article referenced here is actually what prompted my first post. This article says, "First you need to identify the material and finishes used; Aniline dyed or Pigmented, Protected or Coated, Alcantara®, Synthetic or Vinyl".

That's what I can't seem to find any definitive answer to with regard to the Acura TL "Milano" leather. If anyone knows if the leather in the tech model is aniline dyed or pigmented, protected or coated, that would be a great help.

I've read the article pretty thoroughly, but noticed that the article only recommends Leather Master products. Anytime a helpful article only references one product, it makes me wonder if it's a valid resource or just a product pitch?

I'm certainly willing to give it a try. I want to preserve my leather for as long as possible, because I'm planning on having this car for a very long time.

I've used Zaino, Leatherique, and other products like this in the past, but just wanted to know what was best for the Acura leather.

Thanks!!
Old 08-27-2013, 05:05 AM

[I've read the article pretty thoroughly, but noticed that the article only recommends Leather Master products. Anytime a helpful article only references one product, it makes me wonder if it's a valid resource or just a product pitch?]

Busted-

I masquerade as the Operations Director of a large oil exploration company with a PhD in Chemical Engineering with five decades experience in the preparation of Concours d’élégance vehicles and ten years experience of answering detailing questions on detailing forums. The 200 detailing articles on Autopia are further camouflage. But in reality I only sell car detailing products

[sarcasm]
Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Advanced

[I've read the article pretty thoroughly, but noticed that the article only recommends Leather Master products. Anytime a helpful article only references one product, it makes me wonder if it's a valid resource or just a product pitch?]

Busted-

I masquerade as the Operations Director of a large oil exploration company with a PhD in Chemical Engineering with five decades experience in the preparation of Concours d’élégance vehicles and ten years experience of answering detailing questions on detailing forums. The 200 detailing articles on Autopia are further camouflage. But in reality I only sell car detailing products

[sarcasm]

... and this is the reason I don't usually bother posting on forums. My apologies - I didn't make the connection that you had written the article.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by seans5
... and this is the reason I don't usually bother posting on forums. My apologies - I didn't make the connection that you had written the article.
TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki article- may have been a clue
Old 08-28-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Smile

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki article- may have been a clue
Mods - Feel free to close this thread. It stopped being helpful a long time ago. Turns out, arrogant and rude messages are still just that, even after following with a smiley face.