Touch Up Paint doesn't seem to match.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Touch Up Paint doesn't seem to match.

A little less than a month ago I scraped up the side of my rear bumper pretty good when I backed into a yellow pole. I cleared up the yellow paint with Goof Off and it looked a lot better, but I have quite a few paint chips in that area to deal with. Worst case I'll just end up forking over a few hundred to repaint the bumper, but I already will need to pay about $250 for paintless dent repair to repair a dent in the quarterpanel from the same accident.

My plan is/was to use the Langka system: Prepaint cleaner/touch up/dry/langka blob remover/sealent. The problem so far is the color of the touch up paint always seems to be slightly lighter than the car itself.

I have a 2006 Deep Green Pearl that is about 10 months old. I would think the paint shouldn't be that faded. I ordered a lip spoiler a couple months ago and that seemed to match the paint perfectly.

The touch up paint I'm using was given to me by the dealer when I bought the car. I checked all the labels on the paint and the car and it should match. Is it possible the touch up paint has faded a little bit in the bottle in less than a year? Could it be something to do with my touch up technique? Am I not giving it enough time to dry?

I'll try to post a pic or 2 later today when I get home from work.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Pro

It seems to me that you need to touch up paint time to dry and cure.

As for Langka, I had a bad experience with it.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced

What was your bad experience with Langka?

I tried again this week and paid closer attention to the color issues.

Monday: Applied touch up, looked darker than rest of car

Tuesday: Touch up was mostly dried and looked a lot closer to what it was supposed to, but a little darker. It was close enough where I would probably live with it vs. getting the bumper painted if I could get the langka to do it's job.

Wednesday: Touch up paint was completely dried. In a few areas I added more touch up to make sure I had the chip completely filled. In a couple other areas I applied the langka and smoothed it out. These areas now look considerably lighter than the rest of the car.

I think I might give up on Langka at this point. It'd look better if I just use the touch up by itself for now.