Tire Dressing

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Dressing

Hey Guys
just a quick question.... what is the best tire dressing to use to get that super glossy finish that lasts a long time. Always seems like which ever product I use doesnt last more than 4 or 5 days but the dealers seem to have something that lasts much longer

Thanks!!!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Saeedy
Hey Guys
just a quick question.... what is the best tire dressing to use to get that super glossy finish that lasts a long time. Always seems like which ever product I use doesnt last more than 4 or 5 days but the dealers seem to have something that lasts much longer

Thanks!!!
I use to use the Meguiars' Gold Class High Endurance Gloss. It is a purple gel/liquid that you apply to the tires. It provided a super glossy finish and would last through the rain and even a few car washes. I don't use it anymore since it was a PITA to apply, even with special applicators.

Right now I use Stoner Tire Shine which is an aerosol spray. Definitely easier to apply but not as durable. I have also found that I have to make sure to dry the wheels really well or else the tire shine interacts with water to form brown/black spots.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I love One Grands ERV. Four Stars Tire Gel is prety slick as well, both provide good coverage and at least 10-14 days of that "just applied" look........I have yet too find one thats last above and beyond that.......
Old 09-25-2006, 09:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using PB Bold n Bright. IMO, gives more of a matte finish (1 coat) than a gloss. I Think additional coats will give it a gloss. Lasts a good while too during the summer and fall. Water based so will not last as long during the winter/rainy season. I'll probably give ERV a shot this winter and see how it goes.....
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
My dad works part-time at a car dealer and he hooked me up with some of the stuff they use there. Just spray it on and that's it. Stuff lasts for a very long time... even when it rains. We sprayed it on one of my wife's cars and it lasted for almost 2 weeks even after it rained on 2-3 different days.

Before that I just used Black Magic gel. Worked great and it lasted a week or so, but sometimes it spun off if you applied it too heavily...
Old 09-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I took pats recommendation on the one grand EVR - i love it so far. After the third coat soaks into the rubber of the tire it really stays there giving the tire a 'new' look thats lasted a while so far. Ive been able to clean the car and skip a reapplication. Seems like i've been getting results that are similar to Zaino's Z16 (pat any thoughts on that??) Also its not going to give you that super just-sneezed-on high gloss look. If you are looking for that i'd definately give the Megs High Endurance Gel a shot. I've been applying my tire treatments with a foam paint brush from lowes. Applying it this way has saved so much product. This 16oz bottle of EVR will probably last me a good while. When this is up i might give Duragloss a shot. I've also recently recived a sample of Megs hyper dressing (concentrated). I can post reviews of that when i'm done but at 25 dollars a gallon and its ability to be mixed 4:1 it will probably be used for wheel wells and engine's.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been able to clean the car and skip a reapplication.
Thats the beauty of One Grans ERV. It does what the label states. After a few applications, you'll find less of a need to reapply. It easily lasts thru a wash.
As for PB's Bold n Brite, i just started carrying it on someones recommendation, i havent used it yet, but other forums state its a good product as well..........
As for Duraglosses line of tire products, I havent tried any yet! But I have tried the Ultimate detail spray (which would be a waste on tires i think). This is a product I have waited for ever since Megs quit making their detail spray. It easily surpasses the Megs Detail Spray, but go easy on it. A little goes a long way. If you over apply, it gets oily on you. But the stuff lasts, well, Im on 3 weeks with exterior trim, and it still looks great. Even after a high pressure/soap wash!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:48 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
I like using Black Magic Tire Wet along with the Eagle One Tire Swipes. I just spray a thin "stream" around the tire then spread with the swipe. (Roll car forward/backward for final pass to get area you miss) then let it dry for a couple hours. Weather permitting, it lasts quite a bit for me. I can usually clean tires once or twice before reapplication. The tires don't look "wet" after that first wash, but they are a nice deep black.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol I've asked my dealer what they use...the jerks wouldn't tell me..LOL I have used this one brand before, that does last and look great!!! but i haven't been able to find it recently and forgot the name..sorry..
Old 10-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Homestar

I just asked my dealer as well and they said it was some "industrial stuff". I think someone is going to have to hijack some!