Tips on how to use Four Star UPP ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Drop the Megs QD wipe before the second UPP .. UPP needs a clean surface to bond to and adding the residue of a QD on top of the last UPP may hinder this bond.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM
The Detailer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by micvog
Sorry for piggy-backing on this thread, but I wanted to make sure I understood the comments about FS UPP. I just detailed my Jetta this weekend using the following process:

* Wash w/Meg's Gold Class
* Clay w/Excel Fine Grade Clay
* Re-wash
* Polish w/FS SMR @3-4 on a PC w/a primed white pad
* Sealed w/FS UPP @2 on a PC w/a primed green pad, wiping after every 2 panels
* Let cure for 12 hours
* Wiped down w/Meg's QD
* Sealed again w/FS UPP @2 on a PC w/a primed green pad

(The car was manufactured 07/2008 and this same process was applied 11/2008. The car is garaged and only washed by myself so it was in good shape but had lost some protection.)

After allowing for a day to cure, I get the following result:

(Sorry - the weather was overcast this morning.)

So... I guess I should make the following changes:

* Polish at 6
* Don't prime the pad w/a spray or two of QD
* Don't wipe down after every 2 panels - do the whole car first w/FS UPP

Is that about it? Any other changes? Is it normal for the PC to vibrate substantially more around speed 4? By dropping it down to 3-4, I get a LOT less vibration.

When using Optimum Compound II and Optimum Polish I am assuming I should still wipe off after every panel or two, right?

Thanks!
Hmm, I'm kind of confused as to why you'd apply FS UPP with a green pad. AFAIK, the green pad still has some abrasive properties and usually you want to apply your LSP with a non-abrasive pad.

Also, I would do an IPA wipe down before you apply your LSP to ensure proper bonding.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by micvog
Sorry for piggy-backing on this thread, but I wanted to make sure I understood the comments about FS UPP. I just detailed my Jetta this weekend using the following process:

* Wash w/Meg's Gold Class
* Clay w/Excel Fine Grade Clay
* Re-wash
* Polish w/FS SMR @3-4 on a PC w/a primed white pad
* Sealed w/FS UPP @2 on a PC w/a primed green pad, wiping after every 2 panels
* Let cure for 12 hours
* Wiped down w/Meg's QD
* Sealed again w/FS UPP @2 on a PC w/a primed green pad

(The car was manufactured 07/2008 and this same process was applied 11/2008. The car is garaged and only washed by myself so it was in good shape but had lost some protection.)

After allowing for a day to cure, I get the following result:

(Sorry - the weather was overcast this morning.)

So... I guess I should make the following changes:

* Polish at 6
* Don't prime the pad w/a spray or two of QD
* Don't wipe down after every 2 panels - do the whole car first w/FS UPP

Is that about it? Any other changes? Is it normal for the PC to vibrate substantially more around speed 4? By dropping it down to 3-4, I get a LOT less vibration.

When using Optimum Compound II and Optimum Polish I am assuming I should still wipe off after every panel or two, right?

Thanks!
Mike, it sure look wet from where Im at! Seriously, looks great!
As for speed when polishing, I use about 5 with the UDM (Original), 6 with the PC. But most important, polish at any speed your comfortable with. There's a huge jump in power with the setting in the second half. Along with that centrifugal force, comes the vibration. (Do you have the 7336 or the UDM? Its the 7336 right? )
Priming pads...not a big deal with polishes as lubrication is key, so adding additional lubrication allows a wicking effect for the polish to consume into the pores.
Priming pads for sealants is not necessary as they are so lubricating to begin with, its just a short period before the pad is actually seasoned anyway. Not to mention cross contamination.
Product removal, i wipe down after every panel, except when using the sealants, then its after i have completed the sealing. Then I move onto the interior and wipe paint when Im all done inside, usually 1, 1.5 hrs later.
Car looks great!!
Old 05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
stop using the green pad with your upp...use grey, red, blue....anything higher then grey has some cut to it...you dont want cut with your lsp....
Old 05-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Mike is using an older version of pads I used to sell, they were called Propel. They will be making a comeback here soon, under a new manufacturer. The green is not "ideal" but is suffice on low speeds (I think he mentioned speed 2). Ideally, as Vin mentioned, black or red would be better......
UPP has so much lubrication, I dont think he would suffer any consequences with using such a pad, but again, in a perfect world, red would have been a better option.
I suppose if you wanted a little All In One, from UPP, you could go to an extremely light polishing pad for oxidation/fallout removal?! Hmmmmm, kind of a new theory going on in my head......comments?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:01 PM
The Detailer

Propel's making a comeback hmm???
Old 05-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Denzil
Propel's making a comeback hmm???
=)
Old 05-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i dont know patrick...i dont think i want to try and clean or polish with upp and a correcting pad....i guess in theory you can get something from the pad itself, and if your using upp as a pad lubricant it could work, but i dont think i am going to try it...
Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to drop some hints with the wife about some new pads for Fathers' Day.