Those of you who use NXT

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Those of you who use NXT

Hey guys,
Just noticed the NXT in the store shelves. I've read some places that some of ya'll use this stuff. However, the search i dont think will let me search for something less than 4 characters.

Since i noticed that NXT comes in more of a bottle. I'm going to assume that it's a liquid. If it's a liquid, does it require much buffing? Or is it generally, wipe on until it shines?

I'm going to assume since it's a lquid, that i dont need to use it with an orbital then?

One more thing, this is related to an accord. On my 04 NHB accord, i seem to have a few waterspots. Those spots wont come off with a regular wash and dry. Will the NXT get rid of those? Or do i have to polish?

If i polish, do i need the orbiter?

and if i polish, do i need to clay bar before i do?

(last question, i promise).
I've seen the "porter cable" orbiters recommended by almost everyone. However, it's a little out of my price range. I saw a 10 inch one at autozone for $39.99. Will that one do the trick?

thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Nxt is a liquid, and it goes on and off very easily with little buffing. It does have some light cleaning ability, and may do a little something for your waterspots, but you'll mostly likely need something with more bite if they are more than just mild water spots.

The orbital buffer you saw in the store will help apply waxes, instead of doing it by hand, but it wont do as much with polishes, etc that a PC will. The PC does a better job breaking down the polishes due to its speed, and the better quality pads you can get for it. If the PC is out of your price range which is understandable, maybe you can look at cheaper ones that are more PC like in terms of construction, and speed using pads to apply product instead of foam bonnets. They do a decent job, but just not as good as a PC or comparable one. If thats all you can find though, then go for it. Its still less tiring than doing it by hand.

Once I got my PC, I never once touched my old buffer.

Yes you can use some polishes by hand. I just like the better more consistent results I get with a machine.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Nxt is a liquid, and it goes on and off very easily with little buffing. It does have some light cleaning ability, and may do a little something for your waterspots, but you'll mostly likely need something with more bite if they are more than just mild water spots.

The orbital buffer you saw in the store will help apply waxes, instead of doing it by hand, but it wont do as much with polishes, etc that a PC will. The PC does a better job breaking down the polishes due to its speed, and the better quality pads you can get for it. If the PC is out of your price range which is understandable, maybe you can look at cheaper ones that are more PC like in terms of construction, and speed using pads to apply product instead of foam bonnets. They do a decent job, but just not as good as a PC or comparable one. If thats all you can find though, then go for it. Its still less tiring than doing it by hand.

Once I got my PC, I never once touched my old buffer.

Yes you can use some polishes by hand. I just like the better more consistent results I get with a machine.

Ok... so lets say i take the plung and spring for the PC.
Do i use the PC with the NXT? or is there no need? and the polish as well?

And as i recall, lowes is the cheapest place so far right?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
FYI, nxt also comes in a paste forum.

You do not need a PC to apply NXT, i rarely use a PC to apply my LSP's
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
for water spots try warm water or a water/vinegar 50/50 solution
Old 04-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CLpower
for water spots try warm water or a water/vinegar 50/50 solution
Warm water? hmm... i'll give that a try.
I dunno about vinegar though... dont want to smell like a salad or make my car smell like one. lol
Old 04-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry. The nice sweet smell of NXT will get rid of the vinegar smell.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm Baaack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets take these one at a time
The vinegar is necessary to break down the waterspot ... water alone probably won't do it ... don't worry about the vinegar smell it dissipates quickly.

NXT is a liquid and can be applied and buffed off by hand. Like Mr. Hyde said, it doesn't have much in the way of bite, It won't do much cleaning.

If the vinegar doesn't work on your water spots you will probably need a polish, although some work by hand, you'll be much better off, and less sore, if you use an orbital (I would stay away from the rotarys). Once you polish you can then seal with the NXT.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Lets take these one at a time
The vinegar is necessary to break down the waterspot ... water alone probably won't do it ... don't worry about the vinegar smell it dissipates quickly.

NXT is a liquid and can be applied and buffed off by hand. Like Mr. Hyde said, it doesn't have much in the way of bite, It won't do much cleaning.

If the vinegar doesn't work on your water spots you will probably need a polish, although some work by hand, you'll be much better off, and less sore, if you use an orbital (I would stay away from the rotarys). Once you polish you can then seal with the NXT.
Ok... so do i wash the car down first with the regular car wash soap and water? Then dry and use vinegar? Or can i use straight vinegar and water?

Also, is it ok to use the sponge? Or the little chamois mitt that i have?

thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 04:55 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i would prob recomend the sponge, you will see the dirt on it, where the mitt may hold some dirt and may scratch the surface
Old 04-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Drifting

Ok... i went ahead and splurged since i somehow got a hold of a $20 Lowe's gift card and so essentially got a PC for around $80 with tax.

Since there are a few small swirl marks in the paint, i will go ahead and use the polish and the PC to take out the water spots.

I suppose that i only need a very light polish correct? Can anyone recommend one that i can get?

The swirls dont look very deep. I can't really even see them unless i look really close with very bright lighting outside.

thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Best solution would be to clay bar your car after washing your car by hand and scrubbing hard after washing with a a bunch of shop towels (the blue ones that look like papers towels) they remove wax pretty good. Or you could wash car with dawn to remove wax and then clay bar. Start fresh is the point and then use Meguiars Scratch X to remove swirls and waterspots. It's a good strong polish. Then use NXT(2 coats about 2-3hours apart from each coat). Then you are all set. It will take you half a day to complete, but your car will look awesome.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by sbuswell
Best solution would be to clay bar your car after washing your car by hand and scrubbing hard after washing with a a bunch of shop towels (the blue ones that look like papers towels) they remove wax pretty good. Or you could wash car with dawn to remove wax and then clay bar. Start fresh is the point and then use Meguiars Scratch X to remove swirls and waterspots. It's a good strong polish. Then use NXT(2 coats about 2-3hours apart from each coat). Then you are all set. It will take you half a day to complete, but your car will look awesome.
Question:
If you're claying (abrasive)
and polishing (abrasive)
why would you need Dawn to remove wax? Any residual wax or polymer would effectively be "ground" off.

Also, even though I did it as well, NXT has a very light polish in it, not enough to remove surface blemishes, but enough for surface prep. People on this and other forums have stated that, due to these abrasives, layering NXT really doesn't do anything as the first coat is removed by the second.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by sbuswell
If i'm sing my porter cable, do i use the meguirs scratch x still? Since it's a strong polish?
Do i need a strong polish just for light swirls and water spots?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

If you already have the PC then go all out with the cleaning stuff, 'coz you can't go wrong.

I'd say Meg's #83 DACP, then #80 Speed Glaze before applying NXT or your favorite sealant.

Good forums on using your PC here.