Tear in my leather, doh!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:39 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tear in my leather, doh!

Help! I have a small tear in the leather in my back seat of my 06 TSX. How can I fix it? It's not a gash more like a cut or something. Like a slice but with a flap over top of it. Does anyone know of any good leather repair kits? Again, pretty smalll, like less the two inches long. It'e ebony leather. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
if its juss a flap over another flap, y dont u juss try glueing down so the tear doesnt show and glue will hold it in place
Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Repairing Cuts and Tears:
A cut through the leather must be repaired with a patch on the underside.

Methodology
•Slice through with a one-sided razor blade to gain access to the underside. The leather patch must be larger than the cut, work the patch into the hole so it can be glued to the underside of the seat leather, suede sides together.
•Use suitable leather adhesive that can be sanded (Rightlook leather adhesive, Rightlook.com) do not use contact cement because it adheres instantly when the two surfaces touch, which would prevent an inside patch from being worked into position.
•Apply the glue through the hole so that both the seat leather and patch are coated
•Work the patch into place, then press the two pieces together and hold them there until the glue sets up. After the glue has cured fill the repaired cut with flexible filler
Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by VQPower37
if its juss a flap over another flap, y dont u juss try glueing down so the tear doesnt show and glue will hold it in place
I think I will try that. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

I've got a new tear in the leather on my front seat (black interior). The tear is a couple of inches.

How much would it cost to fix something like that?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
Originally Posted by RachaelMC
I think I will try that. Thanks!
what kind of glue? i have two flaps on the driver's seat. this was from the previous owner... i've read that you don't want to use something like krazy glue b/c it'll dry out and crack and eventually tear the leather again...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:33 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Repairing Cuts and Tears:
A cut through the leather must be repaired with a patch on the underside to act as reinforcement (it has torn at its weakest point)

Methodology
•Slice through with a one-sided razor blade to gain access to the underside. The leather patch must be larger than the cut, work the patch into the hole so it can be glued to the underside of the seat leather, suede sides together.
•Use suitable leather adhesive that can be sanded (Rightlook leather adhesive, Rightlook.com) do not use contact cement because it adheres instantly when the two surfaces touch, which would prevent an inside patch from being worked into position.
•Apply the glue through the hole so that both the seat leather and patch are coated
•Work the patch into place, then press the two pieces together and hold them there until the glue sets up. After the glue has cured fill the repaired cut with flexible filler