AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Wash & Wax (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/)
-   -   Spent about 8 hours on the TL today! (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/spent-about-8-hours-tl-today-911254/)

Golfe .:R 05-18-2014 10:54 PM

Spent about 8 hours on the TL today!

6 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys,
So today I spent some time on my old girl, full wash and detail. I started off by giving the car a two bucket wash with chemical guys honeydew snow foam and a sheepskin mitt. While this get most of the dirt and what not off the car, I still clay the whole car with a Zaino clay bar and dodo juice clay lubricant. Now comes paint correction/polishing. I start out with a coarse Menzerna rubbing compound on a yellow lake country pad and porter cable DA buffer. I took a single pass over each panel and it started to look really nice, I then moved onto a Menzerna coarse polish with yellow pad and took another pass and was amazed by the results. I then used a very fine polish on a black pad to take out what marring and little holograms were left by the more aggressive products. I went over each panel a few times to get as many little marks out as possible. After that I take a finishing polish on my black pad and hit every panel one more time and finally finish it off with a poor boys carnauba sealant.
Next up, the interior I didn't do anything to fancy on the interior just a good vacuuming, then I hit my seats with leatherique prestige clean to get any marks off or what have you then I condition them with poorboys leather stuff. I use a little bit of the pristine clean on the dash, works a charm cleans it up really nice. Then finally I just put a couple of coats of the poorboys wheel sealant on my wheels. Great product, I've seemed to notice if I apply 2 coats the amount of brake dust is greatly reduced and it makes them super easy to clean.

All in all I'm happy how she looks after a long spa day!
Pics:

AZuser 05-18-2014 11:49 PM

Looks good. Was the paint in that bad condition that you needed to use PG1000 with a yellow pad?

You could have also cut out a polishing step or two. Using both SF4000 and SF4500 is a bit redundant.

Oh, and how's the S5? :bitelip:

Golfe .:R 05-19-2014 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by AZuser (Post 15014356)
Looks good. Was the paint in that bad condition that you needed to use PG1000 with a yellow pad? You could have also cut out a polishing step or two. Using both SF4000 and SF4500 is a bit redundant. Oh, and how's the S5? :bitelip:

Okay, maybe a step or two could have been knocked out but hey, the paint looks the best it ever has so I'm not to worried about it!

Jesstzn 05-19-2014 09:03 AM

Looks good .. just a hint .. always go least aggressive first that way you don't need to correct what you made. Better to do more with a finer polish on an orange pad etc .. saves the clear.
JMTC.

Golfe .:R 05-19-2014 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn (Post 15014572)
Looks good .. just a hint .. always go least aggressive first that way you don't need to correct what you made. Better to do more with a finer polish on an orange pad etc .. saves the clear. JMTC.

The paint was pretty bad. I've rubbed on it a little with finer compound and it didn't do a whole lot, hence why I went so aggressive. Thanks for the tip.

SweetJazz 05-24-2014 11:08 AM

Good work! :thumbsup:

Like everyone has stated previously, Acura paint is soft in general and rarely requires anything aggressive. Detailing is a skill learned over a long period of time. Keep up the good work. At least now you will only need a one step polish to maintain the finish.

CLtotheTL32 05-25-2014 03:40 PM

Nicely done!