Some CG and Optimuim product reviews by a hobbyist

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013 | 08:13 AM
'16 ILX Premium/A-Spec

Some CG and Optimuim product reviews by a hobbyist

I figured I would take a brief moment to write a hobbyist review of some new products I added to my arsenal.

I've been a long time Prima Car Care fan & customer, for more than 5 years actually. Being it was time to reorder product I decided to venture out and try something new. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Prima, and I will continue to use and recommend their products for certain applications (see below).

What I got:

Chemical Guys - InnerClean: Awesome product! This is my new go to for interior cleaning. It cut though everything I was throwing at it. The rear seats in my wife's MDX get a good beating with 2 kids back there. Spills, greasy hands, dirty shoes, food, you name it. No match for InnerClean. It goes on easy and wipes away clean, dry, and not greasy. Required no major effort to apply and it has a nice scent to it -- not a chemical scent either. This stuff just plain works.

Chemical Guys - Extreme Slick Quick Detail: Wow! That is the best word for this stuff. I've used a lot of quick detailers and nothing compares to this one. My previous go to was Hydro from Prima, that was until I put this on. They car still looks soaking wet and has shine equal to just being sealed and polished. It's slick as ever and looks absolutely stunning. Couple people at my office already asked me "Did you just wax your car? It looks amazing". This is the real deal and I will continue to use this after every wash in between polishes.

Chemical Guys - Maxi Suds II: It smells good, and it works, but that's about where it ends. I ran it though my foam guy and used it with my 2 bucket wash method. It has decent suds but nothing major as the description would suggest. If left on just a little too long it will streak pretty easy. There is nothing wrong with it, just not my cup of tea -- The suds action comes up short and I don't like being "on the clock" to get it rinsed off. I will be going back to Mystique by Prima for washing. I have found nothing better in my search for the perfect washing soap than Mystique. It works excellent in my foam gun and by bucket. It's long lasting suds action and leaves almost no streaking even if you don't rinse it off right away.

Chemical Guys - Sprayable Leather: Good stuff. I am a big Lexol fan, I have been using there PH balanced leather care products for quite some time. However, I think I will be switching to Chemical Guys moving forward. I need to try some other Chemical Guys products as well before I can give is a 100% recommendation since this product is used as maintenance for me. I only do a true leather clean and seal 2-3 times per year. I need a product that can clean and protect in between the real deal and I believe Sprayable Leather will be it. It's got a nice gentle cleaning action and does not require much effort. It comes off easy and drys very quickly. It's not slippery and smells pretty good as well.

Optimum - Tire Gel: This is very subjective, however, if you want a very nice and deep matte finish this is your product. I prefer my tires to be a little more glossy and slick. The gel goes on easy and is not messy compared to other tire dressings. It does not sling off at all -- in fact, so many people that reviewed this product said it would not sling off I wanted to find out myself. Sure enough, it did not, and I laid it on pretty good and moved my car right after. I am going to stick with it a couple more times and see if I can come to terms with the matte look it provides.

I am impressed with the Chemical Guys products for being a first time user. The value is incredible and most of what I tired works great. I know product selection is very subjective and I am not endorsing any manufacture here or suggesting these products are better that brand X -- I am simply giving my opinion based upon my actual use of these products in comparison to other similar products. I keep my 2 Acura's washed and clean every 2 weeks. The car's are on a rotation so I am only working with 1 car each weekend. I take my time and really get the car clean -- makes it 5 times easier to "detail" when the time comes.

Hopefully this information helps someone looking at any of these particular products -- I know the more real world information I can find when making a purchase is always helpful.
The following users liked this post:
gonzo08452 (05-18-2013)
Old 05-11-2013 | 04:01 PM
Racer

Thanks for your quick reviews on your new products.

I am a huge fan of Optimum Opti-Bond. Like you said, it give a nice deep matte finish but, if you want a glossy look, just do another coat of it after 15 minutes. It will definitely make your tire glossy and shiny.
Old 05-18-2013 | 01:46 PM
Pro

I like the 1 car a week rotation.