Soft paint/hard paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soft paint/hard paint

Hey guys,

I'm sure that this is really a stupid question, but what is the difference between soft and hard paint? How do you determine which paint type you have, and what's the difference between the two in terms of detailing?

Lastly, what paint type would my 2007 Acura TSX be?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Soft paint responds to polishes more readily and makes detailing easier. Hard paint often requires tougher polishes (Miz SIP comes to mind) to perfect. Soft paint also has a tendency to burn more readily than hard paint.

Your TSX will likely have the typical soft Acura paint. The super-hard stuff is relegated to German and Italian cars. BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Lamborghini have some of the hardest clear in the business. From what I've read, Acura/Honda's is among the softest.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:01 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Hard / Soft Clear Coats:
Each vehicle assembly plant uses different clear coat paint from one of three major paint suppliers; PPG, DuPont, and BASF products and each of these companies have a range of several differing paints

1. Some vehicle manufacturers have more than one plant assembling the same model of a vehicle; each plant will often use a different supplier for the clear coat paints.

2. Each assembly plant may elect to use one of several OEM paints from PPG, DuPont or BASF clear coat product lines.

3. There are other factors that will have an effect; the composition of the clear coat used (single, duel component, or powder) this generally reflects the trade off the OEM is prepared to accept between scratch resistance and gloss level considered acceptable, oven drying time and its temperature, the relevant age (i.e. how long ago was the paint applied) spot panel repairs (refinish) that are carried out either at the assembly plant or the rail head or port of entry. Soft paint could also be caused if it was polished before the paint had time to fully cure

This is also true of imports assembled in the US; usually one paint supplier is approved for all plants; however each plant may modify the application/bake process in order to meet production demand. This may also affect which has the harder or softer clear.

Diagnosis is the key, not guess work; before deciding on what products to use ascertain the paint surface conditions
Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Work on a Vette and you will know what hard vs. soft is..............Acura paint (for me) is mid level....
I have also worked on both types of CC with Bimmers as well...