AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Wash & Wax (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/)
-   -   Should I still wax before winter if... (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/should-i-still-wax-before-winter-if-874075/)

roushracin 11-18-2012 09:54 PM

Should I still wax before winter if...

I'm wondering if I should wax the MDX before winter. The reason I'm contemplating is back in May I did a full detail on it. Washed her, used Mothers clay bar, Optimum Spray Polish and then the Four Star pre wax cleaner and finished with Four Star UPP. The MDX barely gets driven is why I'm wondering doing it again. It stays in the garage 3-4 days a week. On 2 of those days I take my son to daycare which is a 25 mile round trip each day and then my wife uses it for running errands and grocery shopping on the weekends. I wash it probably every 10 days and use duragloss aqua wax every other time I wash it. So, what do you think? Is it worth the 8-10 hours of work to detail it again?

BobbyC 11-18-2012 10:38 PM

If you get bad winters, then yea. If not I don't see a need to.
I would do it just because I enjoy detailing my car. Another layer of protection can't hurt

Bruce Banner 11-19-2012 12:13 AM

I'd wax it

dmassott 11-19-2012 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by roushracin (Post 14167748)
I'm wondering if I should wax the MDX before winter. The reason I'm contemplating is back in May I did a full detail on it. Washed her, used Mothers clay bar, Optimum Spray Polish and then the Four Star pre wax cleaner and finished with Four Star UPP. The MDX barely gets driven is why I'm wondering doing it again. It stays in the garage 3-4 days a week. On 2 of those days I take my son to daycare which is a 25 mile round trip each day and then my wife uses it for running errands and grocery shopping on the weekends. I wash it probably every 10 days and use duragloss aqua wax every other time I wash it. So, what do you think? Is it worth the 8-10 hours of work to detail it again?

It wont do anything but help....you can wash it and then just add the extra layer of wax, shouldnt take any longer than 2 hours

TLtrigirl 11-19-2012 10:27 AM

i would just add a layer of wax. like others have said...certainly won't hurt. and then keep it clean thorughout the winter.

Jesstzn 11-19-2012 07:53 PM

UPP is nice but not long life .. wax it ..

v|nsan|ty 11-19-2012 10:52 PM

It sounds like you're confusing waxing it and detailing it. Doing a bucket wash and waxing takes at most 2-3 hours. It doesn't hurt to throw on another layer of wax. I always do at least 2 layers for the winter time. I don't see the purpose of doing another full detail that would take 8-10 hours if the car has been maintained and it's going into winter mode.

roushracin 11-19-2012 11:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I feel I have to do a full detail every time because claying it will give me a fresh start and wouldn't I want to polish it to remove any light imperfections that have occurred the past six months? Then obviously throw on a sealant. Which should I use for the sealant? Four Star UPP or Duragloss 105?

TLtrigirl 11-20-2012 05:48 AM

if the paint is dirty and you are actually picking up stuff from the paint onto the clay bar, then clay bar. it sounds like the car is well kept and garaged when it isn't driven. your paint is probably pretty clean. if you used good technique when washing you shouldn't have too many defects in the paint. have you inspected the paint? have you felt the paint?

we have two cars that live outside, but they are well protected and washed weekly. the paint surface is still smooth and soft like the day they were detailed in early spring. no swirls either. the third car is garaged and babied.

if you enjoy detailing then certainly you can go through all the steps. it's up to you since none us know the true condition of the paint.

Last Acura 11-20-2012 08:54 AM

Just do it.

SharksBreath 11-20-2012 09:34 AM

http://entertainmentagentblog.com/wp...ust-do-it2.jpg

dnd2984 12-01-2012 04:57 PM

If the car is garaged it shouldn't need to be clayed just yet. Give it a good wash and another coat of UPP. Should be 2 hours tops