Scratches - What to do? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:24 PM
07 TL-S - MT - CBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratches - What to do? (pics)

Hey folks,

I recently had some work done at the dealer. Got the car back and as soon as I get out of the car at home, I notice some scratches under the rear view mirror. Dealer had replaced the actuator, so not sure if they scratched it up working on this or something else. Anyways, they are willing to repaint the entire door and quarter panel, or touch it up and buff it out.

I am not a big fan of repainting unless absolutely necessary, so want to get your opinion. Do you think just a touchup/buff would be good enough, or should I have them repaint it?

Does anyone have experience with getting parts of the car repainted? How does this hold up in the long run (color match, peeling etc...)?

Also, I have a scratch on one of the center console panels that's been there since I got the car. Has anyone used any touch up pens etc... in this area? Or should I just replace this panel?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
A very skilled detailer may get those out...touch up paint then buff. butt if its too deep, or the detailer isnt very skilled, you'll be kicking your self for not getting it repainted.

Last edited by justnspace; 08-06-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i hate service departments...this is the risk you take that you shouldnt have to, just to get your car serviced...bottom line is that no one cares for your car like you do...

i would get them to restore it to perfect conditon, even if that requires repainting...touch up paint is going to look just as bad as the scratch...doesnt look like it can polish/buff out either...let us know what you end up doing...
Old 08-06-2010, 01:11 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Sorry for the damage - that bites. (Great color/car BTW - I was looking for that same combo towards the end of '08 and just couldn't locate one w/ the 6MT).

I would try the least drastic fix first, i.e., have a good detailer/dent removal/body shop try buffing/touch up. You might be surprised at what a pro can do. We have a local Dent Wizard that is run by a couple of real perfectionist car guys. I took an old Datsun Z to them after a SUV backed into the fender and they made it look good as new with dent removal, polishing/buffing and a little touch up paint - for about 1/3 the price of a body shop repair/repaint.

I'd only go to a repaint as a last resort - if you just can't live with the results of the buff/touch up. For the reasons you've just mentioned, trying to color/gloss match one of these pearl/metallic "floppy" paint jobs is difficult. And unless it's done right, you'll have issues down the road. Very few body shops are able to match the exacting conditions/prep/ etc. of the OEM paint process.

Best of luck. Be sure to repost after you get it fixed!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,465 Likes on 3,059 Posts
I would bitch to high heaven if a place gave me my car back like that
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
07 TL-S - MT - CBP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input folks...

Originally Posted by justnspace
A very skilled detailer may get those out...touch up paint then buff. butt if its too deep, or the detailer isnt very skilled, you'll be kicking your self for not getting it repainted.
Thats what they said...they may be able to just touch up and buff it out. This may be the route I will go with.

Originally Posted by vinnier6
i hate service departments...this is the risk you take that you shouldnt have to, just to get your car serviced...bottom line is that no one cares for your car like you do...
i would get them to restore it to perfect conditon, even if that requires repainting...touch up paint is going to look just as bad as the scratch...doesnt look like it can polish/buff out either...let us know what you end up doing...
I couldn't of said it better. Yeh, the scratches are deep and wont be able to buff out without using some touchup paint. I am thinking about having them do this first.

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Sorry for the damage - that bites. (Great color/car BTW - I was looking for that same combo towards the end of '08 and just couldn't locate one w/ the 6MT).

I would try the least drastic fix first, i.e., have a good detailer/dent removal/body shop try buffing/touch up. You might be surprised at what a pro can do. We have a local Dent Wizard that is run by a couple of real perfectionist car guys. I took an old Datsun Z to them after a SUV backed into the fender and they made it look good as new with dent removal, polishing/buffing and a little touch up paint - for about 1/3 the price of a body shop repair/repaint.

I'd only go to a repaint as a last resort - if you just can't live with the results of the buff/touch up. For the reasons you've just mentioned, trying to color/gloss match one of these pearl/metallic "floppy" paint jobs is difficult. And unless it's done right, you'll have issues down the road. Very few body shops are able to match the exacting conditions/prep/ etc. of the OEM paint process.

Best of luck. Be sure to repost after you get it fixed!
Thanks for the comments. I had to wait for sometime to find this combo...and even then, it was 1,400 miles from me But looks like you ended up with a nice ride. I was not a big fan of the 4G but I have to say, it's been growing on me lately.

The after affects of a repaint is what I'm affraid of. I think I will have them touch up/buff and even if I can get it even 50% less noticable I will be OK.

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
I would bitch to high heaven if a place gave me my car back like that
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Oh man you are a much stronger man than I. If my car came back with even one of those scratches I would have gone absolutely postal on the dealership. That is completely unacceptable. I'm getting pissed just sitting here and it isn't even my car.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:06 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
SInce the stealer is doing it, repaint