Safty Wash in SE PA

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 06:08 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safty Wash in SE PA

Anyone have expereince with Duke's Firehouse Safety wash in SE PA, West of Philadelphia. They have a few locations. Webstie is safetywash.com They say "
Every Wash is Special.
All of our award winning wash services are finished personally with a hand towel dry. We use fresh, plush, terry cloth towels on the body, special blue surgical towels for the windows, and we finish by wiping your wheels dry. Your car will thank you. "

I'm not sure if I believe this or not, but I think I'm gonna give them a try. Should I let them dry it or drive off? Also do you think it's save to use their "Inferno wash"
"This is our finest exterior wash including, triple wax application, whitewall and tire cleaner, extra on-line wheel clean, new clear coat protectant, under carriage clean, and hand applied tire protectant."

I'm very paranoid because I have NBP
Old 01-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont do it, no one babys your car like you can, spend the $25.00 for some quality soap, waffle weaves, microfibers, and assorted brushes and wash it yourself, you'll be glad you did 2 yrs from now.....when you have less marring and swirls and scratches etc......The liquid wax is good for one wash, ok, at least till they dry it. If you have an hr every other week, pamper your Acura....not too mention saving some $$'s...
Old 01-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Instructor

i was only think about doing it in the cold months now because I can get the wash for free. I'm thinkin of getting the touchless wash without drying.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:53 PM
Former Sponsor

You may be better off doing that than letting the salts take hold then.....I feel for you folks back east in the winter.....Was 80 deg's here today, and I hate it !
Old 01-18-2005, 08:40 AM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Triton,

As a fellow SE PA'er, I am also looking for an automated way to wash my (black) car safely with no ill effects. I've posted elsewhere on the board about the Lammscloth car washes in the area, and nobody really had any specific information (pro/cons) about this car wash style/technology.

It seems that most people have a "religion" against car washes, which is understandable considering the history of car washes. I just wonder how relevant these concerns are with today's newer car washes (like the one you list above, or the Lammscloth, or touchless).

My car is already dirty (no surprise) after a week of driving. I would like to have it washed, because I am not going to wash it by hand every week. I am looking for a car wash solution that will NOT have any ill effects (swirling, etc.), but will keep my car looking good.

Does ANYONE on this board have actual experience with a car wash that has NO ILL EFFECTS on dark cars?

Thanks,
Jon

PS - Triton, are you aware of any local touchless washes in the area?
Old 01-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Have you considered finding a mobile detailer in your area ?
Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Instructor

Jon,

safetywash.com is the only Touchless car wash I've found in SE PA a rea. Go to their website, they have 5 locations, though I'm only going to try their main location since it seems to have the best equipment. It's 20 miles away from me, which sucks but their "Safety Wash® $11 INCLUDES WHEELS!
Our innovative Safety Wash® offers a state-of-the-art exterior wash using the best quality cleaning solutions available. The service includes wheel prep and blast, a two-step wash, finish rinse and hand towel dry. " i'm assuming should be safe, they say they'll hand dry it with fresh cloths afterwards, but I think i'm going to opt out of that and drive it home to air dry since it's a 20 mile trip.

I only plan to do this for the winter cause it's way too cold to be outside handling water right now.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM
CEO of IMHO

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Have you considered finding a mobile detailer in your area ?
I've emailed one, but no response yet. They're supposed to go to your office parking lot and do a wash/detail. We'll see if they get back to me...

Can everyone agree here that a touchless car wash should have no ill effects on a black TSX?

Jon
Old 01-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Can everyone agree here that a touchless car wash should have no ill effects on a black TSX?
Count me out......
Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 PM
CEO of IMHO

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Count me out......
OK... can you explain what about a touchless car wash could negatively affect my car? I am very curious and interested in learning.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 01-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Touchless car wash cons:

1) if it's one of those roller/track things that move you along, it's most likely you'll add scratch or two to your rims unless you can pull in perfectly.

2) even the air blow dry doesn't get all the water off, and if you just roll out and drive away, there's a good chance you'll leave water spots/marks that can get etched into the paint (especially with amount of iron that's probably in that water they use)

3) if you're using it as an alternative to hand washing in the winter time, and it's just snowed or rained and lots of dirt / roadspray has dried... plan on having to go through a few times because not even the high pressure ones are not going to get it all off.

That said, it's better than nothing... I use one of those "stall" ones where a door opens, you drive in, the door closes behind you, wash ensues, door opens ahead of you, and drive out. I bring an Absorber and a microfiber in my trunk and pull off to the side to dry anything that was missed afterwards.... preferably on a day where it's at least 35+ degrees
Old 01-26-2005, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
OK... can you explain what about a touchless car wash could negatively affect my car? I am very curious and interested in learning.

Thanks,
Jon
Jon, as stated, even the airdry doesnt get all the water off, they have to dry with something. The touchless out here in So. Cal, even the "good" ones still use shop towels....I see this everyday....Shop towels are not the answer to touchless washes.....
Old 01-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Racer

I'm in Bethlehem, PA... is that considered SE?
Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Instructor

I plan on using their touchless here in PA, and they say they hand dry it with fresh micro towels, but I'm going to tell them to skip that part.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Just observe several cars before you put your thru it !!!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Contagious

I take the Audi to Dukes all the time. I never seem to have any problems with them. Haven't scratched a rim yet, and they do a reasonably good job. It's really hit or miss though when you get your car dried. They do it by hand, but there are usually kids doing it who don't really do a thorough job everytime.

I would recommend them for this time of year, however when it gets nicer out, I would do it yourself.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Contagious

Oh, and if it matters, the Audi is black also.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Which location do you go to? I'm thinking about going to the one in frazer, pa since that's their largest facility, and the one closes to me. Though it's still a 20 mile drive. Do they use fresh micro fiber towels like they say on the web site?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Contagious

I usually go to the one in Chesterbrook since it's the closest one to where I work. I've also used the one on Conshohocken and the one in Blue Bell. All are pretty much the same, but the one in Chesterbrook seems to do the best job.

I am pretty sure they use the microfiber towels, but I've never gotten out of my car to check to be honest. Like I said, they will do a decent job for now, but your best bet would be to do it yourself when the weather breaks.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Contagious

As far as "fresh" microfiber towels not 100% sure. I know that they do change the towels after each car they dry, so they won't be using the same dirty towel they just used to dry the car before you.

I'm actually gonna be heading over there today at around 12:00. Is there anything you want me to check out and report back to you on?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:58 PM
CEO of IMHO

The ones in Frazer and Blue Bell both are "touchless." I tried to go to the Blue Bell location today, but the line was insane, so I'll go later this afternoon if possible.

It seems that other than Frazer and Blue Bell, the rest are not touchless, but they claim to minimize "swirling." I wonder if they're OK on black cars.

Also... should I avoid post-wash dry-off process in the touchless wash? Probably, I figure.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Contagious

Well, I went today. Not 100% happy with the results, but I will take what I can get in 15 degree weather. My car was a mess. The only thing I could comment on are a) they did use new towels to dry off my car, but from what I could tell, they were not microfiber. b) They were definately in a hurry to dry the car because they missed a few spots on the back (again, I can deal with this under the circumstances).

In a pinch to get the grime off your car, go for it. Please note, that I did not go to one of the touchless ones. The next time I need a wash, I'll give one a try.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 PM
CEO of IMHO

Well, I went today as well. Not 100% happy with the results, but I'm kind of caught between a black car and a hard place.

It was touchless, which was nice. It was 2X the cost of a "normal" Lammslcoth carwash, which isn't so nice. I asked the towel guy (who is armed with clean, "100% cotton" towels that looked like they were swiped from a hotel bathroom) to only dry the wndows.

This request really confused the heck out of the dryers, who kept asking the dude why he was only drying the windows.

Anyway, I guess maybe not getting it dried was a mistake? Dunno. I got home, and found the water didn't dry off on the ride home... it either froze solid or created drip marks all over the place. The car does not look clean, but at least the salty grime is off.

I guess I'll have to do something myself tomorrow. I'm thinking of just doing a quick water spritz and drying with my MF towell. What do you think?

Jon
Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

my car is a mess. will post pics. gonna get it washed at a local touchless.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
If you really love your car, you don't put it through the car wash.
Especialy if its a TL
Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Instructor

Hey Guys I went last night to the one in Frazer, I'm sattisfied in the sense that I got what I was expecting. The touchless was nice though I noticed the blow dryer was a little quick at the end. The towels were new but they did look ragged. I'm sure they are used for a long time and washed. I had the person hand dry the car and then I pulled over to the side and finished drying it with a micro fiber towel I brought along. Next time I'm going to dry it myself becase even though the towels were fresh, they weren't very impressive.

I guess I should mention, i get the was there for free because my dealership has vouchers there and I got a whole bunch for free.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PPLAPW
Especialy if its a TL
Yeah, you would just let it sit in the cold covered in road salt
Old 01-31-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm in

Originally Posted by daniel1113
Yeah, you would just let it sit in the cold covered in road salt
That's when you hand wash it.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Went out a Touchless CarWash in Lansdale. Car looks awesome. Very satisfied. $7.00 for the works. Can still see the Zaino.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Especialy if its a TL

How do you purpose it be washed in freezing temps???? Touchless car washes are a necessary evil. Especially in the winter. You do more damage by not washing it.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Racer

That's when you hand wash it.
Much easier said that done... especially if you live in a dorm or apartment complex where hand washing isn't allowed and it is much too cold to go to a self-service wash after hours.

Touchless car washes are perfect for the winter months when you just need to get the dirt and salt off of the paint.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm in

Much easier said that done... especially if you live in a dorm or apartment complex where hand washing isn't allowed and it is much too cold to go to a self-service wash after hours.

Touchless car washes are perfect for the winter months when you just need to get the dirt and salt off of the paint.
Good points both, but regardless you don't put your car through the carwash.
Eighter way I've wash my TL in freezing temps.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Racer

Good points both, but regardless you don't put your car through the carwash.
Eighter way I've wash my TL in freezing temps.
Ok. Have fun with that.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Advanced

I go to Duke's a lot with my NBP TL. I have not had a problem at all and they always dry with fresh clean towels...

Heck even the manager there posts on this board at times.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm in

Ok. Have fun with that.
Oh, I will...
Old 02-02-2005, 11:58 AM
CEO of IMHO

So, with Duke's touchless, you do not get any swirl marks? Do you let them dry it? Do you go to the Blue Bell location? Each Duke's seems to have a different system, which is why I'm asking.

Does anyone know if there is any problem with using "cotton towels" to dry after a touchless wash?

I have a NBP, and it's my first dark car, so I'm just concerned about making a mistake that will be irreversable.

Thanks,
Jon

Originally Posted by KitchenSink
I go to Duke's a lot with my NBP TL. I have not had a problem at all and they always dry with fresh clean towels...

Heck even the manager there posts on this board at times.