Safe to use paint stripper on leather?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 04:59 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Safe to use paint stripper on leather?

Well, like the title says, I got some paint on my leather seats so I was just wondering what to use to get it off. I was doing some work over at some apartments that my dad owns and apparently still had some wet paint on my shorts/shirt and got some on the seats. I have some paint stripper in a spray can that I was thinking about using, but figured I'd ask if it was safe to use on leather. I can just put a little on a cotton ball and test it on a little spot to make sure it doesn't damage it.

What other kind of product would you recommend to get paint off of leather seat if you are against the paint stripper??
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
Well, like the title says, I got some paint on my leather seats so I was just wondering what to use to get it off. I was doing some work over at some apartments that my dad owns and apparently still had some wet paint on my shorts/shirt and got some on the seats. I have some paint stripper in a spray can that I was thinking about using, but figured I'd ask if it was safe to use on leather. I can just put a little on a cotton ball and test it on a little spot to make sure it doesn't damage it.

What other kind of product would you recommend to get paint off of leather seat if you are against the paint stripper??

What type of paint is it? Automotive, latex, oil based?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it was interior semi gloss latex. I can call my dad to make sure, but what does it matter?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
I think it was interior semi gloss latex. I can call my dad to make sure, but what does it matter?

Because if its water based, the safest bet to remove it is some warm water with a little dish soap. Paint stripper will more then likely remove the stain from the leather.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Do what he says .. warm water and a little patience .... always go least aggressive first.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Just in case you have any doubts as to your question of using paint stripper on leather NO!

Use water as suggested, failing that use a safe solvent that does not contain any harmful components (heptanes or xylene or hydrocarbon aliphatic solvents; these solvents will simply emulsifies paint, grease, oils, etc when you spray it directly on the surface It is important not to leave a solvent based chemical on the surface longer than is necessary.
Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol)
Stoner™ Tarminator
Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner
It can also dissolve a variety of oil and petroleum based products, it's safe to use on all types of paint, plastics, synthetic fibres, carpet and upholstery.

There is only one kind of stipper that goes with leather...but that's another forum
Old 09-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
There is only one kind of stipper that goes with leather...but that's another forum