rubbing compounds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:36 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
rubbing compounds?

yo guys, i was searching through walmart the other day and saw a wide variety of rubbing compounds for scratches. do u hav any feedback on the 3m rubbing compound? it was 5.68 or smthing for a mid sized bottle. i tried it on our tl's trunk lik a wax it acted just lik a wax; only provided a temporary clearcoat, didnt cover up but it was glass smooth unlike some waxes... maybe ill try with a buffer.....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:04 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
~One man’s opinion / observations~

Machine Polish(Rubbing Compounds):
Are used to remove surface imperfections and are formulated with lubricants, solvents and water, and abrasive 0.3-micron granules, which diminish with use providing a progressively finer abrasive polish that will burnish the paint surface and provide a gloss. They are buffered or cushioned in a rich, lubricating oil film, usually in a semi-liquid paste.

Available in many different grades (the ability to abrade i.e. to remove levels of paint) for detailing work they usually range from a 2000< grit polish (very mild) to a swirl mark remover (a medium abrasive) 1500 grit or a compound (various levels of abrasive) 1000 – 800 grit

a) 3M Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish 39003

b) 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound-Fine Cut 39002

c) 3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover 39109 (For light coloured vehicles) or 39009 (For dark coloured vehicles)

a) most abrasive – (c) least abrasive

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]
justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
Old 11-05-2004, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in the store looking at those products the other day to and was wondering...If the swirl mark remover is a "remover", then why does it matter for light or dark cars? is it a filler too? sorry dumb question..new to the detail world.

JG
Old 11-05-2004, 01:50 PM
All Hail the Chief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
yo guys, i was searching through walmart the other day and saw a wide variety of rubbing compounds for scratches. do u hav any feedback on the 3m rubbing compound? it was 5.68 or smthing for a mid sized bottle. i tried it on our tl's trunk lik a wax it acted just lik a wax; only provided a temporary clearcoat, didnt cover up but it was glass smooth unlike some waxes... maybe ill try with a buffer.....

I had a small scratch on the top of my rear bumper where my lady was taking groceries out of the trunk and the edge of a cereal box caught the bumper and left a noticeable scratch in the clearcoat.

I bought the rubbing compound and used it as directed, being careful to rub very very gently. I then followed up with Meguiars Scratch-X to smoothen out the fine scratches left by the rubbing compound.

Worked like a charm!!! You cannot tell there was ever a problem in that area.

Just rub very very gently.

Has anybody tried the 3M swirl mark remover?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JPritch

Has anybody tried the 3M swirl mark remover?
I have - it does what it says, but most swirls in clear coats can only be minimized - to really buff them out takes experience, and the novice should not do it.

A product I recommend for novices is made by Kit, and is in a yellow bottle: "Scratch Out" - it has mild abrasives, has enough cut to be effective, but if you follow the directions and have half a brain, you will not get into trouble. I let my wife try it on her Outback, and even after she worked the stuff until it had long since dried up, she did not harm. So it is (heaven help me) "idiot proof".

I have, literally, 10 different 3M products from their professional line. From heavy cutting compounds to microfine glazes. I use a Porter Cable polisher, and 6 different Meguiar's pads in the 6" size. Again, in the range from heavy cut to mild polishing. On a car with fresh paint free of significant defects, the 3M Imperial Machine Glaze will produce a shine that is non pareil. Glazes usually contain microfine abrasives, often diatomaceous earth and kaolin, and a smidgeon of wax. They are great to use on freshly painted cars, as they do not seal, and have no silicones. 3M makes a similar glaze for hand application that is nearly as good, and which i highly recommend.

Do this 4 times/year and your car will look awesome: Strip the wax with an alkaline detergent like Dawn, glaze it with 3M Imperial, and apply 3M Perfect-It Show Car Paste Wax, or your favorite wax/polish/sealant. You will have a shine "a yard deep".
Old 11-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Ive tried 3M's Fine cut rubbing compound, and their Swirl mark remover. They are both excellent products that produce great results. I always use my Porter Cable Random Orbital polisher, but you can work them in by hand although it'll probably take forever.

Id try the Swirl Mark remover 1st on a test panel, to see if its enough for your job. If its not aggressive enough, you have to go up one level, and use the Rubbing Compound. Both products need to be worked in and broken down to get rid of any marring, so I really recommend and buffer. Be sure to work the Compound in good. Follow that by the Swirl Mark Remover for the finer marks left by the Compound, and then top it off with whatever polish, or wax you want to use.

Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
"Compounds" are generaly polishes on steroids. They will remove previously applied protectants, so theres really no need to "Dawn" wash. Matter fact, leave dawn for dishes......Always start mild and work to towards aggressive....Explaining whats mild, and whats aggressive would take all day......TOGWT, maybe we should steal the list of abrasives ?