Routine Wipe Down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:07 PM
'05 ABP/Camel M6 W/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Routine Wipe Down?

Just got my new TL detailed (initial waxing). The ABP looks great!! My question is this - i notice that even after 1 day, there is a light coating of dust/pollen/dirt on the car. What is a safe and effective means of wiping this dust off the car? Can I just wipe it lightly with a 100% cotton cloth? Other device? My goal is not to *wash* the car but get the dust etc off without scratching..

Thanks in advance.!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:03 PM
9.5 lbs o' Boost!!!!

buy a car duster.. works the best. you can get them at any autoparts store.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
quick detailer and a MF towel or buy a car duster, however, when you first get the duster, wrap it in newspaper and switch the paper every few days for about 2 weeks to suck up the excess oils in it
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CLpower
quick detailer and a MF towel or buy a car duster, however, when you first get the duster, wrap it in newspaper and switch the paper every few days for about 2 weeks to suck up the excess oils in it
Sun actually helps thin some of the parraffin also, so let it warm in the sun for a little too while in the newspaper....dont mistake what needs to be washed, with what can be "quick detailed."
Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i use a soft cotton mit and lightly dust off my car with it. if the dust sticks too much, then just wash it.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Instructor

how to quick detail your car
Old 09-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Use of an Instant/Flash/Quick Detailer

Ok, you’ve reached that point where your anal about car care. You’ve invested time and money on proper car care products. You’ve spent a day or two, here and there, getting your car looking its best, you’ve polished, and waxed or sealed, now how do you keep it looking like that throughout the week, until your next wash? Not long ago, instant detailers (id’s) came along. Mothers, and Meguiars were two of the first car care companies to introduce it, under names Showtime and Quick Detailer, respectively. These are both good products when used for light cleaning of the vehicles surface. You simply spray on the surface, and wipe clean with a soft cloth…..it can’t be that easy, or can it?

It can be! But with so many instant detailers out there, which one should you choose? You could choose from Meguiars, Mothers, Black Magic, Zymol, Eagle One, etc. These all have their place, somewhere in car care. I guess if I had to pick one of the above, I would go with either Eagle Ones, or Mothers version. They are both very good, and reliable. There are also a few products available online which in my opinion are exceptional products. Clearkote, Poorboys, Four Star Ultimate, are a few.

Lets get to basics with instant detailers, what can and can’t they do?

First off I want to make clear, that these products are not intended to replace normal washing routines. There simply designed to remove light grade contaminants from the vehicles surface, i.e. dust, fingerprints, and an occasional visit from a seagull, when you’re in a pinch (no pun intended). You should always carry at least a 4oz bottle of ID when you’re on the road for these types of emergencies.

ID’s are really great for maintaining that just washed/waxed look. Some can be used on windows (Clearkote Quikshine is even recommended for glass, matter of fact, the only thing you cant use it on is your tires). Some are difficult to get off if over sprayed on windows, so read directions on the back label.

There very easy to use, your basically going to use the same technique you do while drying your car. Spray a light mist on the surface (in shade preferably), wipe with microfiber polishing towel in the same direction as you remove your polishing and wax/sealant products (This will remove contaminants). Turn towel over, and buff to finish (This will create the shine) Most products will have either a polymer, carnauba, or silicone content which will deter further dirt and or dust from accumulating. Truly a time saver and can really extend the life of sealant or wax currently protecting your car. Most “speed details” only cost from about $.30 to $.75 per job, so a real affordable alternative to the bucket and sponge! Just keep in mind, this is a between washes product, not intended to replace the bucket and sheepskin wash mitt!

Other uses for quick detailers: Glass, wheels, vinyl seats, dashboards, plastic, wax/polish stains on rubber, household countertops, furniture, bathroom fixtures, monitors etc...

Check with each manufacturers suggested use on labels.

Source:
Old 09-06-2005, 03:44 PM
I'm Baaack!

Thanks Patrick .. I wish I had that info a year ago when I was getting into my new TL (from a detailing perspective)

I try to wash every week, QD after the wash, then I can use the car duster for the rest of the week unless it rains or I get into something really bad (fresh road tar comes to mind) which then requires a new wash.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Thanks Patrick .. I wish I had that info a year ago when I was getting into my new TL (from a detailing perspective)

I try to wash every week, QD after the wash, then I can use the car duster for the rest of the week unless it rains or I get into something really bad (fresh road tar comes to mind) which then requires a new wash.
All ya have to do is ask Brew !! Your welcome....
Old 09-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If anyone is looking for a great car duster; I really love the OXO car duster, and think its much better than the California Car Duster. Its fuller, thicker, and does a great job.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Instructor

I second the OXO car duster...definitely a quality piece. Remeber, keeping your car clean is like anything...keep up with it and you'll never have problems
Old 09-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Dunno if what I'm doing is OK, Pat,

-I spray QD/FI on the dirty part and let it sit for a few seconds. (I figure this will "lift" whatever dirt was on the surface.)

-I "drag" a wet MF rag lightly along the lines to pick up whatever was on the surface and wring the MF on a bucket.

-Re-apply QD or WAUD with a dry MF towel and buff back to shine.

So far I haven't seen any scratches. If Isee much more dust that I can pick up with this technique then I will just simply wash.

Also the "newer" WAUD in the blue bottle seems to be more concentrated, has better gloss and goes much farther than the older kind.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mdrdsr
Just got my new TL detailed (initial waxing). The ABP looks great!! My question is this - i notice that even after 1 day, there is a light coating of dust/pollen/dirt on the car. What is a safe and effective means of wiping this dust off the car? Can I just wipe it lightly with a 100% cotton cloth? Other device? My goal is not to *wash* the car but get the dust etc off without scratching..

Thanks in advance.!!!

Car duster or some quick detailer.....just a dry cloth will put light scratches in it.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:01 PM
'05 ABP/Camel M6 W/Navi

Thumbs up Meguire's NXT Spray Wax

I washed by new 2005 TL today. [it was waxed about 2 weeks ago]. I just used some Armour All Car Wash, a chamois to help dry it, a wet/dry vac (on blower) to blow off the excess water and then I used Meguire's NXT Spray Wax. This stuff did a great job!!! Very easy to use and leaves a great smooth, shiny finish on my new ABP w/Camel. I also cleaned the interior (not that it needed it much) and treated the leather with leather care.

I just use Cotton Terry cloths to wash with. I use several of them and switch them often leaving the ones I am not using in the bucket. Use lots of water and work top down. This way there is no chance (or at least minimal that there would be dirt left in a sponge or similar). I find this works great.

I also used a Terry to apply te Spray wax, let it dry and then removed & shined with a MF cloth....

Thanks for all of the input.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Take it a step further.....
Sheepskin washmits, the sheeting method to rinse with, a waffle weave drying towel or two and a dedicated instant detailer.....The Armour All wash is nice stuff, and fairly cheap !
You could consider a Grit Guard also.....
Old 09-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Instructor

This is simple. You need two things. A quick detailer and a microfiber towel. Use the quick detailer out of this system . Then use these microfiber towels . You should be good to go. just remember to turn the towel frequently for a fresh side.