Review Wolfgang Wheel Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Review Wolfgang Wheel Cleaner

Review: Wolfgang Über Wheel Cleaner

I was first going to use this cleaner on one of our newer cars, but both those cars have less than 20k miles and the wheels really haven’t seen much abuse. So I decided to use it on my 2001 Acura TL, since getting the newer car the TL has been on the back burner when it comes to cleaning and upkeep. The wheels have not been cleaned properly in 4 to 5 years (minimum) and the barrels never. Car with over 172k miles has seen everything was heavy rain in Florida for 10 years to 2 solid winters of snow and salt here in West Virginia.

I cleaned the wheels couple of weeks ago with Blackfire Waterless, so there was not much brake dust none the less the wheels are still dirty. To clean the wheels I used coupe of carrand brushes, dried with my wheel towels, and applied one coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal.

First the before shots, the face of the wheels weren’t too bad just some dust, and junk. The barrels on the other hand are awful, they have never been cleaned.

After the wheels cooled, working one at a time I sprayed the face and the barrels and let it sit for about a minute; cleaned the barrels first then the face of the wheel.

15seconds after spraying

One minute after

After some serious agitation its purple!!!!!

Now that the wheels are clean I dried the wheels and applied one coat of WG Deep Gloss Liquid Seal.

Final Thoughts: I have only used a handful of wheel cleaners and this one is by far the best I have tried. I was surprised how easily it broke up the brake dust in the barrel and that white junk I had on my calipers. My next invest should be a Daytona brush. I was a true believer in another wheel cleaner that was acid based, but with this being non-acid I will be using this 3 to 4 times a year. Also a note on the scent, I’ll be honest I expected it to be a lot worse, I was expecting it to smell similar to iron x. But luckily it didn’t, the smell wasn’t strong and much more tolerable than TRIX or X.
Enjoy and feel free to ask questions
-Dhaval
Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I'm not a fan of wheel cleaners but once used and the wheel is clean all you should have to do is wash them regularly and none of that buildup happens.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'm not a fan of wheel cleaners but once used and the wheel is clean all you should have to do is wash them regularly and none of that buildup happens.
Neither am I over the years I have only used a few, but my TL really needed a good cleaning. For normal maintenance soap and water work just fine or a waterless wash.

On my 2010 TSX I have not used a wheel cleaner yet, just waterless wash or a APC when I clean the tires. After winter ill use the Wolfgang on my wheels.

But this Wolfgang does make the job easier and its a amazing value, when its BOGO.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
a good brush and some soapy water goes a long way to clean wheels.

a apc if its extra grimey.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyC
a good brush and some soapy water goes a long way to clean wheels.

a apc if its extra grimey.
Only thing is if you have a wax/sealant on the wheels the APC will remove it ..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the review, Dhaval. I've been curious about this product for some time now. I agree soapy water does great once your wheels are cleaned properly. I sometimes don't feel like scrubbing so just use PB Spray & Rinse. This is only when I'm feeling lazy about cleaning the wheels.

Oh and it's about time you clean those barrels. Lol
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 06_TL
Thanks for the review, Dhaval. I've been curious about this product for some time now. I agree soapy water does great once your wheels are cleaned properly. I sometimes don't feel like scrubbing so just use PB Spray & Rinse. This is only when I'm feeling lazy about cleaning the wheels.

Oh and it's about time you clean those barrels. Lol
Lol Thanks...the barrels on my TSX will get a good scrubbing soon... I was gonna wait but might as well get it knocked out.