REVIEW: Lots of new stuff from AutoGeek.net

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
REVIEW: Lots of new stuff from AutoGeek.net

I got a bunch of new wheel and tires products from Nick at AutoGeek.net during the Winter, and have been chomping at the bit to give this stuff a try! We've had nearly 3 feet of snow in Kansas City in March. And today was the first day that we've really had decent weather to try all these products out.

Here's what I got....

The Type S is notorious for tons of brake dust. I wanted to try some products that would not only clean the wheels well, but keep them clean!

I started off with Detailers Pro Series Wheel Cleaner....

The directions say to wet the wheels down while they're cold.

After spraying on the product, I use the Dayton SpeedMaster Wheel Brush. I've never had a wheel brush. So I thought it was about time to get one. This brush worked really, really well with the Detailers Pro Wheel Cleaner. It did a great job of getting rid of the muck that builds up from Type S brakes.

It sure made a tedious job much easier. The wheels came out very clean with a minimal amount of work. Plus, having the wheel brush allowed me to get the back side of the wheels too, which I've never been able to do.

Clean up on the brush was simple. All I did was rinse it off with the hose and it was as good as new!

Next up was the Detailer's Pro Wheel Glaze. Now that the wheels were cleaner than I've seen them for a long time, time to protect them and hopefully keep them that way.

As you can see, I also got an applicator for the Wheel Glaze. As usual, it says to apply a thin coat of the wheel glaze and let it dry to a film.

While the Wheel Glaze was drying, I thought I would try out the Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner.

Note...I'm a big fan of Stoner's Invisible Glass with Rain Repellant, so I was very interested to see how well this worked. After applying Invisible Glass, I tried the Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner. Wow-I was amazed! Look at the Micro Fiber towel after one application--and this was what it looked like AFTER using Stoners.

After that the Wheel Glaze was dry, so I was ready to take it off. I was amazed how easy it was to remove. The finish was smooth and slick and looked great.

I wasn't finished there. I'm a fanatic about tire black. I like my tires looking just like they do when you get your car from the dealership. If the tires aren't dressed, the car is not clean. I got Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Black Onyx Tire Dressing.

I've never found an applicator I really liked. I've tried dozens-and this one from AutoGeek.net is now my new favorite!

My first application provided a very nice matt finish.

I applied a second coat for a shiny, dark black finish.

And the best thing about this product was----there was NO splattering on the car......ZERO!

I'll keep you posted on how well the Tire Glaze keeps brake dust off of my wheels. I'm expecting good things though. All products went on well and were easy to remove too.

All in all, I'm very happy with the results!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the review, Steven. AG sure does carry top quality products. I'm looking forward to future updates on the wheel glaze.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
One of the better tire dressing applicators I found totally by accident. A friend gave me a 3 pack of typical kidney shaped cheap car wash sponges from the dollar store. I would never use them on any car but what I did was cut them in 3 in a shape that had 1 pointed end and contoured so it conformed to the sidewall. Bigger ones for truck tires.. smaller for low aspect ratio tires .. Cut them on my band saw. Work awesome .. washable and disposable.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Thanks Steve! When I reviewed that glass cleaner I raved how it was the best glass cleaner ever, well now my wife raves its the best glass cleaner ever . We use it around the house too.

It was on bogo around Xmas and I stocked up. Have you tried the Glass Sealant from Pinnacle?
Old 04-22-2013, 12:03 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hopefully the tire dressing doesnt make the tires brown after a while or if you dont apply it regularly. Keep us posted on the wheel glaze. I'll be doing my first try of Chem Guys wheel guard on my type S. It didnt do too well on my old car, white wheels + BBK. (never ever gonna get white wheels!)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JacOOlito
Hopefully the tire dressing doesnt make the tires brown after a while or if you dont apply it regularly. Keep us posted on the wheel glaze.
Tires should be cleaned prior to applying any dressing for the first time and cleaned again after every 4th or 5th application depending on the miles. The brown is usually the carbon black working its way out of the rubber.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

I took this shot at the Post Office today....a little better "pulled back" shot for you.

Originally Posted by dnd2984
Thanks Steve! When I reviewed that glass cleaner I raved how it was the best glass cleaner ever, well now my wife raves its the best glass cleaner ever . We use it around the house too.

It was on bogo around Xmas and I stocked up. Have you tried the Glass Sealant from Pinnacle?

I have not tried it yet....maybe that should be the next on my list!

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Tires should be cleaned prior to applying any dressing for the first time and cleaned again after every 4th or 5th application depending on the miles. The brown is usually the carbon black working its way out of the rubber.

Exactly right. I did use a tire cleaner prior to applying the Black Onyx Tire Dressing. You get a lot of build up over the Winter that needs to come off first.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Racer

I clean my tires before each tire dressing application. Not sure why you'd want to cake on tire dressings, especially gels. That's just going to make your job harder when you finally decide to clean them. They're a breeze to clean when there's only one layer of dressing. To each their own I suppose.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Racer

That is one sexy car, Steven.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Looks great Steven!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 06_TL
I clean my tires before each tire dressing application. Not sure why you'd want to cake on tire dressings, especially gels. That's just going to make your job harder when you finally decide to clean them. They're a breeze to clean when there's only one layer of dressing. To each their own I suppose.
If you read my post .. it says .. "depending on the miles" if you drive a lot of miles then your going to need to clean them more often.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 PM
Racer

If you read my post .. it says .. "depending on the miles" if you drive a lot of miles then your going to need to clean them more often.
But you'll still be applying new dressing over old dressing. Call me crazy but isn't the dressing supposed to bond with the actual rubber on the tire? If you don't clean it properly each time you dress them, it will simply sit on top of the old dressing.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Suzuka Master

But you'll still be applying new dressing over old dressing. Call me crazy but isn't the dressing supposed to bond with the actual rubber on the tire? If you don't clean it properly each time you dress them, it will simply sit on top of the old dressing.
Yes you are but if the old dressing isn't dirty your adding to the protection .. either way ..
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Team Owner

That is one sexy car, Steven.
Originally Posted by vp55
Looks great Steven!

Thanks guys-I really appreciate it. I'm at a point where I'm done modding. Now, I'm just enjoying it!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Team Owner

Guys, I had to write an update.....

We've got a cold, dirty rain here in Kansas City today. We were supposed to get snow too, but I think we dodged a bullet on that one.

When I got home from lunch, I wiped off my car. The rain was that nasty stuff that leaves your car looking awful.

But as I'm getting ready to wipe down the wheels, I noticed that my wheels look as good as they did on Sunday, when I applied the Black Onyx Wheel Glaze. I have to say.....I'm quit impressed. I did not have to wipe down the wheels-they still looked perfect!

The Black Onyx Wheel Glaze is a keeper!
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Racer

This is great to hear about your wheels, Steven. I am am a little confused though when you say black onyx wheel glaze. Did you mean to say DP wheel glaze or black onyx tire dressing?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:10 PM
Team Owner

Sorry 06, I meant the wheel glaze, not the tire dressing.

Heck, I was so impressed with the wheels, I forgot to see how the tire dressing fared with all the rain!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
all the stuff looks great STEVE....after reading your reviews am going to be placing and order for multiple items from Nick@Autogeek
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Sorry 06, I meant the wheel glaze, not the tire dressing.

Heck, I was so impressed with the wheels, I forgot to see how the tire dressing fared with all the rain!
DP makes some great products. I'm gonna order me some wheel glaze on my next order. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Excellent write up and review of the products Steven! I will be placing an order soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by swoosh
all the stuff looks great STEVE....after reading your reviews am going to be placing and order for multiple items from Nick@Autogeek

Thanks ANIL......LOL

DP makes some great products. I'm gonna order me some wheel glaze on my next order. Thanks for the clarification.

Excellent! I was pleasantly surprised-it's a keeper, for sure.

Originally Posted by LawnPro
Excellent write up and review of the products Steven! I will be placing an order soon.

Thanks LP-tell Nick I sent you and that you read this thread!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
Steven, great review! --your car looks amazing!

But... I'll really need you to demonstrate the application on my car--so I can watch and really understand how to do it! :-)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Team Owner

Funny guy, Danny! Go ahead and bring it over-WE....will do it together.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Team Owner

An "After Rain" Update....

We had a full day of rain yesterday. I went to wipe down the wheels today.....WOW!

The wheels still felt very smooth and it was really easy to wipe the wheel down.

Still happy!