Review: CG Glossworkz glaze and 4star UPP

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts
Review: CG Glossworkz glaze and 4star UPP

CG Glossworkz Glaze (applied on silver moon TSX SE)

Ordered this due to hype I've been reading about it. Also, since I love collecting products, why not. Product comes in similar standard bottles that CG uses. It was light blue in color, with a smell I'd distinctly characterize as laundry detergent???

I washed Tori, then a mild clay. Applied GWG via blue pad, speed 2 on PC. After removal, I pulled it out into the sun to inspect. Overall, I didn't notice any difference from EZ Creme I had very few minor marring that I haven't had the chance to correct yet... the cover up it provided was very minimal at best. I'm not saying it's a BAD product, because I LOVE EZ Creme and Blacklight... but I'd say, it was similar in performance to EZ Creme, but blacklight is slicker for sure. Looks wise, hard to tell. Would I use it again? hmmm not sure. Maybe. I ended up putting a coat of blacklight afterwards, then jet seal, then 5050.

Would I recommend the product... eh.... I'd go with Blacklight. It lasts longer, slicker, and I think looks better.

PRO's:
cost
fresh smell
applies easy/removes easy
some swirl filling abilities

CON's:
why use this when you can use blacklight? or EZ creme?
durability (obviously it's a glaze)

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

4Star UPP (applied on Kona Blue 5.0)

Why am I reviewing such an old product? Well... I ordered this a couple years ago, when I had a black G35 and and black Altima. I loved it then, but put it aside when I got rid of both vehicles. I ended up using it on my black Odyssey...loved it so much (Again), that I decided to use it on Marilyn's Dark Kona Blue paint. Boy was I glad I did. I forgot how much I love this sealant. My plan was to top it off with Souveran or Fuzion... but it looked so good on its own, I haven't touched it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyways...Marilyn was washed this morning at 6am... then spot clayed. Applied 4Star after. Let sit for 30 minutes, then removed.

It goes on as easy as any other sealant, maybe a bit runnier (make sure you shake really well). Removes easily as well. The only con I would say is it was dustier (not saying a lot, but compared to other sealants) than JetSeal, my other favorite sealant. It was really slick tho...slickest sealant I've used imo. The best part is the look. On dark paints, it just blows it out of the park. 4Star remains one of my favorite sealants.

I can't speak to durability on either since I don't let my LSP's go that long before stripping and reapplying.

PRO's:
slick
easy to apply and remove
unbeatable on black and other dark colors

CON's:
dust

Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Nice write ups but can I make a constructive comment .. lets not photoshop the pix .. they all look like the contrast or something is drastically played with .. oversaturated with color.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (02-28-2013)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Nice write ups but can I make a constructive comment .. lets not photoshop the pix .. they all look like the contrast or something is drastically played with .. oversaturated with color.
Np... Those are hdr, so obviously edited for sure. I can post the non edited ones too.

Last edited by Integra2TSX; 06-03-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Pro

Here you go

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,728 Likes on 4,232 Posts
Dude...Your Kona looks effin' sweet!

As far as the dusting with the UPP. Patrick....a vendor (former?) here, gave me the tip to apply it VERY sparingly and you will eliminate dusting. I tried it, and sure enough he was right.

Besides, with the molecular structure of the UPP...layers can be added (every 24 hrs) for extra protection and long lasting life. I love it too. I don't use anything else. I don't want to blow my money on everything....except gas.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by pttl
Dude...Your Kona looks effin' sweet!

As far as the dusting with the UPP. Patrick....a vendor (former?) here, gave me the tip to apply it VERY sparingly and you will eliminate dusting. I tried it, and sure enough he was right.

Besides, with the molecular structure of the UPP...layers can be added (every 24 hrs) for extra protection and long lasting life. I love it too. I don't use anything else. I don't want to blow my money on everything....except gas.
Dude... I would have never guessed that was the culprit. I even applied it via pc and a red pad, so over application is usually not an issue with DA application. Just goes to show, even an old dog can learn new tricks. I been doing this so long I forget my fundamentals lol.

Thanks pt...I will try that next time.

P.s. thx for compliments. I need MORE pics of your 2013 lol I love your car.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

:
Ya I was wondering about his dusting too because I use UPP all te time and never had dusting.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
the non shopped pics look SO much better
Old 06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KillerG
Yep... It's all a matter of opinion. HDR is more artsy. I've done regular shots all my life... trying something more artistic. Lol. Like brochures

Anyways, speaking of UNEDITED. Here's a couple shots of my stang, after I threw on 2 coats of Souveran on top of UPP. This might be my new favorite combo. Better than blacklight and V7.

Walked in the garage and saw these. Grabbed camera, took couple shots, downloaded, uploaded, done. Again 100% UNEDITED. My jaw about dropped. Makes all my handwork worthwhile.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
^definitely amazing. awesome man
Integra2TSX (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 06:36 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Fail:
I am with Dale about the HDR pics. No business on a detail forum.

Thumbs Up:
The stang looks gorgeous!!! Did you polish out the stang before adding the UPP and Souveran?

TIP:
Silver and White cars are hard to photograph in bright light. The color just gets washed out in pics. One trick I used with my white Civic was to photograph early morning or at sunset. Position your car with the sun on one side and shade on the other. The low sun will light up the background on the shade side. Photograph the shade side of the car which will reflect the highlighted background.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Fail:
I am with Dale about the HDR pics. No business on a detail forum.

Thumbs Up:
The stang looks gorgeous!!! Did you polish out the stang before adding the UPP and Souveran?

TIP:
Silver and White cars are hard to photograph in bright light. The color just gets washed out in pics. One trick I used with my white Civic was to photograph early morning or at sunset. Position your car with the sun on one side and shade on the other. The low sun will light up the background on the shade side. Photograph the shade side of the car which will reflect the highlighted background.
Lol ok ok...if I'm posting about detailing I won't show hdr for you folks. Such critics . Like I said, hdr ain't for everybody...that's ok. No offense taken.

As for the 5.0, yes, Marilyn was polished. All my vehicles must be swirl free . Marilyn was clayed then polished via flex and pc, menzerna power and super finish, variety of pads, all prior to upp and souveran.

Thanks for the tips and the kind words.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
I love the HDR pics, but it doesn't reflect ur work 100% :wink:

wish I knew how to do it lol
Integra2TSX (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 07:39 PM
My first Avatar....

Souveran is a carnuba isn't it? Won't it then prevent adding subsequent coats of UPP?

I think your Kona looks deeper then any other Kona I've seen. Props Man!

You need to provide detailed polishing tips for the Stang paint....which pads...which product...etc. You have it down to a science. :thumbsup.

On a side note. I was polishing My 5.0 today when my backing plate took a dump on me. I have 1/3 of a polished car.

Last edited by pttl; 06-03-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
I love the HDR pics, but it doesn't reflect ur work 100% :wink:

wish I knew how to do it lol
thanks jw... I love HDR I hope folks aren't thinking I'm hiding my ability to maintain perfect swirl free paint because of HDR lol... maybe I need to whip out all my old posts from other detailing forums

nah, but seriously no offense taken. If they don't like it, they don't like it. I do

Souveran is a carnuba isn't it? Won't it then prevent adding subsequent coats of UPP?

I think your Kona looks deeper then any other Kona I've seen. Props Man!

You need to provide detailed polishing tips for the Stang paint....which pads...which product...etc. You have it down to a science. :thumbsup.

On a side note. I was polishing My 5.0 today when my packing plate took a dump on me. I have 1/3 of a polished car.
That is correct sir. Souveran is pure carnauba. I wasn't going to top UPP, but I just got bored lol. I do that with all my detailing products. Gotta switch it up. It looked great with just UPP, but souveran took it to another level. Maybe I should have put like 4 coats of UPP first, THEN souveran It's ok. I will just strip and reapply next week. That's the beauty of detailing and lsps. Just keep switching it around to keep the look changing.

What happened to your backing plate? I've had mine for years! Maybe overtightened? That's ok.. it's cheap. Isn't it like 15 bucks for one?

As far as polishing techniques, sure thing bro. Here's what I do.

Wash and clay obviously... clay until uber uber smooth via sandwich bag test. After you clay a spot, insert your hand into a sandwich bag, run it over the paint. If it feels like glass, you're done. If you feel some resistance, keep claying. Don't worry about marring at this point...you'll buff anyways.

Buffing - I use Menzerna products. I tried all others, and keep coming back to Menzerna. Best balance of ease of use to effectiveness. I use Power Finish on a Orange (heavy swirls) or White (light to med swirls) CCS pad. I don't like using flat foam pads. I like the deeper CCS (closed cellular structure) pads...keeps the working time longer, allowing for more correction without drying.

Pour out enough solution for a 2 x 2 area...about 1 circle's worth of product around the pad. Spread the product around the paint via the PC off. Apply pressure on the PC enough to compress the pad 25% to 50% but no more. Turn on the PC at speed 2 to coat the entire 2 x 2 area. Switch off. Set to speed 5 or 6. Go to town. At least 5 or 6 passes should do. 1 pass is a horizontal or vertical pass, followed by perpendicular passes. Watch your speed. You're better off going slow than fast. 6 passes should take you no more than 2-3minutes. Then the polish is broken down, and ready for wiping off. Inspect the finish. Use 50/50 alcohol and water to wipe down residue and inspect for perfect paint. If not perfect, repeat.

Tadaaaaa! DONE!

Apply glaze or your favorite sealant

Easy right? Just takes time.

Btw, I use my Flex, not PC, for major corrections.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-03-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 PM
My first Avatar....

Thanks so much Man!

Pads like these?
http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html

Menzerna Polishes like these?
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-intro-kit.html

Just trying to get a system that works.

Why the Flex for "major corrections"?

BTW...you do all of this on top of the clearbra?

Last edited by pttl; 06-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Beautiful shots.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
Pro

Thanks so much Man!

Pads like these?
http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html

Menzerna Polishes like these?
http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-intro-kit.html

Just trying to get a system that works.

Why the Flex for "major corrections"?

BTW...you do all of this on top of the clearbra?
Np at all man... Anytime.

Yes you are right on the pads. I have both 6.5 and 5.5 inch pads for a 5" backing plate. Get what you're most comfortable with. A 6.5 will be safer but less effective around the edges. A 5.5 will be more effective all around, but less safe by corners and ridges and etc. how confident are you with a buffer?

As for menzerna, go with power finish. It has a longer working time than intensive polish and with more cutting power, and with a better finish. See this chart here:

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html

The flex 3401 vg is my fave for correction because it has the strength of a rotary buffer (quick cuts, so less passes, better finish down), but the safety of a DA (forced rotation - versus a rotary, which can burn paint if not careful). Also, the flex has much less vibration than a counter weight rotation PC. But it also costs twice that of a PC.

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Beautiful shots.
Thanks Steve
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
the mustang looks sweet....

been using 4star upp for 5 years, if its dusting on you, your using too much....
Old 06-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by vinnier6
the mustang looks sweet....

been using 4star upp for 5 years, if its dusting on you, your using too much....
To those of you who said I was getting dusting because of a little too much upp being used, you were right. I applied it today via pc and red pad, on our black odyssey, and I made sure I applied it even thinner than before. And lo and behold, hardly any dust if at all. Thank you for the advice.

I don't know why I shelved this product for 2 years. I got caught up in all the hype of new products, I forgot about what works, and works well. This is possibly the best looking sealant for dark paints. Doesn't even need a topper.

Washed odyssey, then coated her in upp, applied via pc. Again, photos are UNEDITED.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM
My first Avatar....

Nice ad pics for UPP!

You are a brave man...having a black mini-van.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Pro

Nice ad pics for UPP!

You are a brave man...having a black mini-van.
That was all the wife's call... Yeah next time no more black minivan lol. Site maybe....
Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Keep'n it clean- Orlando

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerG
agreed, not to mention the photoshop pics portray a gloss on the paint that is not really there in real life. You can play with the settings in a photo to make your car look like its got superman paint or something... however I love the OP's write up, willingsness to share his findings and is also a CG lover like me! keep it up!
Old 07-07-2012, 02:54 PM
OTD
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love 4 star UPP! awesome protection and wetness