Repairing Clearcoat in your garage for under $30.00...I'm trying it. (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Repairing Clearcoat in your garage for under $30.00...I'm trying it. (Video inside)

So, a lot these Hondas/Acuras have thin/non-durable clearcoat. When we bought the car, the paint looked pretty good, but after 2 years, the roof started fading and got progressively worse. I could easily bring the car to a paint shop and spend 300-2,000 dollars, but I wanted to see if I could do it myself and save a few bucks in the process.

The following users liked this post:
teh CL (02-24-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing Clearcoat

I have done this many times, and the biggest investment is time. First you want to wet sand the area thats fading making sure to feather out the abrupt edges where the base coat is exposed so you dont get imperfections in your finished product.

Find a place that does a color match aerosol paints. They just need you vin number and they can match you paint code and put it in a rattle can. With this process you wont have to go base coat/clear coat because it will already have the clear mixed in with the paint. The fine scratches from the wet sand process will be perfect for the paint to adhere to the surface. Make sure you apply a healthy layer so you have some "meat" to work with when it comes to the final process. You can mask off a small area to paint, or do the entire panel. Its your choice depending on location of damage.

Let the new paint cure until all tackiness is gone. I did this all in a matter of hours, so its not a multiple day process.

Wet sand final cured paint application until all "orange peel" is flat, smooth, and even. Then use a buffer and medium buffing compound to work out light scratches from the sand paper, AND YOUR DONE!!!

This is identicle to my TL, but belonged to a customer. I did the very same process in that garage, and it came out great. The bottom is the finished product.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:02 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repairing Clearcoat

[QUOTE=ACrite97;16193660]
I have done this many times, and the biggest investment is time. First you want to wet sand the area thats fading making sure to feather out the abrupt edges where the base coat is exposed so you dont get imperfections in your finished product.

Find a place that does a color match aerosol paints. They just need you vin number and they can match you paint code and put it in a rattle can. With this process you wont have to go base coat/clear coat because it will already have the clear mixed in with the paint. The fine scratches from the wet sand process will be perfect for the paint to adhere to the surface. Make sure you apply a healthy layer so you have some "meat" to work with when it comes to the final process. You can mask off a small area to paint, or do the entire panel. Its your choice depending on location of damage.

Let the new paint cure until all tackiness is gone. I did this all in a matter of hours, so its not a multiple day process.

Wet sand final cured paint application until all "orange peel" is flat, smooth, and even. Then use a buffer and medium buffing compound to work out light scratches from the sand paper, AND YOUR DONE!!!

This is identicle to my TL, but belonged to a customer. I did the very same process in that garage, and it came out great. The bottom is the finished product.[/QUOTE Btw, USE 2000 GRIT SAND PAPER ONLY