AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Wash & Wax (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/)
-   -   Remove white/black scuff marks from interior plastic (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/remove-white-black-scuff-marks-interior-plastic-948606/)

rocket_pup 08-14-2016 08:37 AM

Remove white/black scuff marks from interior plastic

A magic eraser pad with water or interior cleaner does a fair job. WD40 surprising works well, but I feel it stripped the surface a little as the texture feels a little different. So test it out first. I tried this on my 2015 TLX lower interior door panel.

ASolangeM 08-17-2016 02:38 PM

My brother in law does auto detailing and he likes "Awesome" products. They're cheap too. He said he finds them at dollar stores usually.

justnspace 08-17-2016 02:40 PM

NEVER NEVER use abrasives....

always use the most simplest thing, Soap+ water.

cu2wagon 08-17-2016 10:17 PM

This innovative suggestion seems to come up every so often. Please realize that melamine foam is essentially a super fine abrasive product; not quite sandpaper but in that same vein. When you use it, you are taking off a very minute layer of whatever you're rubbing it on.

If you wouldn't consider using sandpaper in the application, you may want to reconsider the "magic eraser" as it unfortunately relies on well understood science rather than actual magic to remove whatever you're going after.

Soap/water and elbow grease is a great start. If that doesn't work, a citrus based solvent and a clean rag might work. After that you really need to think about what your trying to remove and the best way to go about it.

KaMLuNg 08-18-2016 08:29 AM

simple green diluted or some QD usually works well for me...

WDPinit 10-17-2016 02:45 PM

No one uses Meguiar's interior wipes? They do just fine at removing scuffs and keeping the dash and other interior surface clean

justnspace 10-17-2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by WDPinit (Post 15873009)
No one uses Meguiar's interior wipes? They do just fine at removing scuffs and keeping the dash and other interior surface clean

I have a hard time paying for a consumable product when $free.99 works just as well.
every one has soap and water available to them. :thumbsup:

WDPinit 10-17-2016 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 15873015)
I have a hard time paying for a consumable product when $free.99 works just as well.
every one has soap and water available to them. :thumbsup:

Fair enough. I just like them for the convenience factor.

justnspace 10-17-2016 02:53 PM

^good point!

TacoBello 10-17-2016 03:15 PM

I think he's referring to scuffs.. not just dirt. Soap+water will do nothing to remove scuffs. I'm imagining scuffs like those on the interior side of the door sill plate that your shoes can sometimes hit when getting in/out of the car. As far as I know, there is no cure for these. If there is, man, somebody let me in on the secret already!

On one of my cars, I'm doing everything I can to prevent those kinds of scuffs from occurring. Next step: apply 3M film to the interior portion of the sill plate. Although not super esthetically pleasing, I'd rather replace that small section once a year and keep the plastic looking fresh underneath. The beauty of it is that I don't have to pay someone to apply it either.

cu2wagon 10-17-2016 03:41 PM

Try one of those clicky Pentel clic eraser things (I know you have one, nerd). Or one of the white hi-polymer block erasers (the ones with the cardboard sleeve that gets all ratty; I know you have one of those too).

That's about as non-abrasive as you can get and they will usually lift rubber and plastic transfer off of smooth surfaces.

Pentel isn't just for math class, it's for life. Pentel! *bling*

thoiboi 10-17-2016 03:42 PM

how much did you get paid to say that? :omg:

cu2wagon 10-17-2016 03:46 PM

Nothing. But I'm hoping that some day, someone will see my shameless promotions and offer me free products.

This post was brought to you by GOLD! Gold. It's what you love and it's what those who you love, love. So won't you share some love? Gold! *bling*

thoiboi 10-17-2016 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by cu2wagon (Post 15873063)
Nothing. But I'm hoping that some day, someone will see my shameless promotions and offer me free products.

This post was brought to you by GOLD! Gold. It's what you love and it's what those who you love, love. So won't you share some love? Gold! *bling*

Dear Sir/Madam,

It has come to my attention that a large inheritance of *INSERT SEARCH QUERY TERM HERE* has been held under your name by a deceased Nigerian prince. He claims you are the oldest living relative. Please do the needful and send a transaction fee of $34.50 to thoiboi@paypal.com and your funds will be released. Please provide social security number, Date of Birth, account numbers, mother's maiden names to ensure you are the right person.

Best Wishes,
Troy Smith

08KBP_VA 10-19-2016 07:25 PM

I had stubborn rubber seal residue from doors on leather and scuffs on seat skirts nothing could remove it easily. Product I found works the best is 3m adhesive remover then I douse with leather cleaner and soak with conditioner works awesome and non abrasive and no issues to date.

on the erasers I use them to remove wax residue stuck on black trim