Recommendations on removing snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008 | 11:03 AM
10th Gear

Recommendations on removing snow?

I am a fairly new 2004 Acura TL owner (purchased in late August). This being my first winter in the vehicle, I want to keep the paint free and clear of any scatches. With that said, does anyone have any recommended tool for removing snow?

We all have ice scrapers that have the bristles, but I do not want to scratch the car. Are these fine, or is there something better out there?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-08-2008 | 11:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by betweenthepipes
I am a fairly new 2004 Acura TL owner (purchased in late August). This being my first winter in the vehicle, I want to keep the paint free and clear of any scatches. With that said, does anyone have any recommended tool for removing snow?

We all have ice scrapers that have the bristles, but I do not want to scratch the car. Are these fine, or is there something better out there?

Thanks for your help!
I've been using a Snowbrum, and that's worked well. I'm not sure if there is a better method, but I've found that to be pretty effective, especially when there is a lot of snow on the car. Good luck
Old 12-09-2008 | 12:35 AM
hates the winter

Clear the snow off of all the windows. If the snow is more than 3 inches on the painted surfaces only remove the top layer. Don't put that brush on the paint of the car, it will cause surface scratches, and possibly deeper ones.

Even pushing heavy snow and ice off the car can cause scratches. It's best to leave it no there. I only brush the top layer off being carefull not to push the snow off the paint.
Old 12-09-2008 | 12:38 AM
The Detailer

A heat gun? LoL.
Old 12-09-2008 | 01:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Denzil, I think we need to steer clear of this one............
Old 12-09-2008 | 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Its not so much the bristles that scratch its the dirt on the paint "under" the snow that marrs the surface as the snow slides off be it from you and the brush or the snow warming on the paint surface and sliding off on its own.

In reallity its a no win. Just don't just clear the windows then drive around with 4" of snow on the car. First off and most important is if the snow comes loose its going to slide off the roof .. over your windshield blocking your vision ( cause rear enders at stop lights ). Can possibly tear off your wipers and the force of the snow and the ice layer below it can really mar the hood.

I have also had a broken windshield running into airborn ice/snow that blows off some sh*theads roof that was too lazy to properly clean his car.

Don't have a good answer for you ... well I do .. move down next door to Patrick. The only white stuff they get on thier cars is dandruff from scratching thier heads trying to figure out what prduct to use to remove a scratch.
Old 12-09-2008 | 03:19 PM
The Detailer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Denzil, I think we need to steer clear of this one............
LoL, well I never have to think about the snow issue!
Old 12-09-2008 | 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Haa!! You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. We all wish we were in Cali !!!
Old 12-10-2008 | 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Its not so much the bristles that scratch its the dirt on the paint "under" the snow that marrs the surface as the snow slides off be it from you and the brush or the snow warming on the paint surface and sliding off on its own.

In reallity its a no win. Just don't just clear the windows then drive around with 4" of snow on the car. First off and most important is if the snow comes loose its going to slide off the roof .. over your windshield blocking your vision ( cause rear enders at stop lights ). Can possibly tear off your wipers and the force of the snow and the ice layer below it can really mar the hood.

I have also had a broken windshield running into airborn ice/snow that blows off some sh*theads roof that was too lazy to properly clean his car.

Don't have a good answer for you ... well I do .. move down next door to Patrick. The only white stuff they get on thier cars is dandruff from scratching thier heads trying to figure out what prduct to use to remove a scratch.
do not leave the snow on your car and just clear the windows, I like to use a snow broom, they're good for removing snow. It's illegal in this state to leave snow on your car, and you can be pulled over and fined especially if snow or ice comes flying off your car at any point. Just carefully slide it off, and like jesstzn said, it's the dirt laying on your paint that scratches
Old 12-11-2008 | 10:07 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Move