Range Rover Detail w/Process

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Range Rover Detail w/Process

Ok here is a Detail I did on an 07 Supercharged Range Rover. I started out by washing with my Foam Gun and DP wash combined with a 2 bucket wash/grit guards and Turtle wax Ice Car wash soap (ok soap, not the best, not the worst). I washed from the top down then undercarriage and engine bay. To try and utilize as much daylight as possible I did the wheels near the end. I then Clayed the veh with a med aggressive clay and Adams detail spray as lube. I taped off all trim prior to polishing. For Polishing I used a Flex Orbital with 6.5" Lake Country Orange and white pads and a UDM using some 4" LCC pads for tighter areas. I used Optimum Compound and Menzerna Powergloss Compound for the most part with the LCC Orange pad and followed that up with Menzerna 106ff Nano Polish on a white pad. The Blue flake could finally be seen again on this beast after polishing The interior was cleaned with Ultima Interior shampoo and sealed with Ultima Interior guard plus. Exterior was sealed with Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant, cured for 14 hours then topped with one coat of Danase Wet Glaze via UDM/Red LC pad speed 2. Let cure approx 1 hour, then buffed off and topped with a second coat of Ultima Paint Guard Plus. Tires and trim protected with Ultima Tire and trim guard plus, undercarriage sprayed with Griots under carriage spray (Great product) Prior to delivery I buffed the entire veh with a plush Microfiber towel to remove any residue remaining. End result... I'll let you be the Judge.

NOTICE THE BUFFER TRAILS ON THIS DOOR FROM THE PREVIOUS DETAILER (WHAT A SHAME)

Close up of Buffer trails. It looks like Zorro may have left his mark! LOL!

I hope you can make out the Blue flake in this pic, in the light it looks very nice, Just like Acura’s NBP

Total time spent….Approx 18 hours
Old 04-16-2008, 09:07 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Let me be the first to say, WOW! that looks freaking amazing, talk about a turn around.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
wow. very nice!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Racer

Thanks Man! After that marathon I needed a break from detailing for about 2 weeks! ha..ha..! The thing was just a beast and in such bad condition. Thank God the interior was not too bad
Old 04-16-2008, 09:12 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Originally Posted by conan777
Thanks Man! After that marathon I needed a break from detailing for about 2 weeks! ha..ha..! The thing was just a beast and in such bad condition. Thank God the interior was not too bad
I would imagine, I ran out of steam half way through my MDX detail, how long did it take for the complete detail?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i cant believe how bad that paint looked for a one year old car....great job, fantastic....how much did you get paid...i hope you charged 350 or more...
Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 AM
ASM 3G TL Type-S

Originally Posted by vinnier6
i cant believe how bad that paint looked for a one year old car....great job, fantastic....how much did you get paid...i hope you charged 350 or more...
Hey I would have no problem paying that much, for that type of work, If I had that type of car in the first place.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GTSX-05
Hey I would have no problem paying that much, for that type of work, If I had that type of car in the first place.
same here....i just hope he got paid well....for work well done!!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Racer

I had it for 2 days in order to apply 2 coats of sealant. Overall took approx 18 hours. Charged $500
Old 04-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

I had it for 2 days in order to apply 2 coats of sealant. Overall took approx 18 hours. Charged $500
thats what i am talking about!!! 500 bucks, thats cool...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Great work! In my opinion, $500 for 18 hours isn't enough. If the master detailer in our garage would have spent two full days on a car, it would have been double that easily.

How do you set your pricing?

Fantastic job though. Crazy how bad the RR looked from the last, incompetent detailer.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
DAMN!!! I wish I had half the talent you do Conan... If I was still in NOVA I would def. be calling you up.

I think imma attempt round two of polishing and sealing not happy as I got those buffer trails and micro marring.

This time, White Excel paid and Optimum polish, FTW!!!!

After looking at these pics makes me wanna move back to VA so you can detail my car. haha

Again, great job
Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow..you definitely pay great attention to detail. I don't think a spot on that car is dirty anymore. great job.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM
I caught the mod flu

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
wow..you definitely pay great attention to detail. I don't think a spot on that car is dirty anymore. great job.
Wow that's amazing! The paint looked as though it were 12 years old, not 1 year old. You actually made it look better then off the lot.

Last edited by BLKURA; 04-16-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow, amazing job and thanks for sharing the pics. Oh and I WANT THAT TRUCK!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Racer

Thanks guys, the truck was definitely in mint condition when I dropped it off. The real question is how long will it take to get back into the terrible shape it was in when I got it! LOL!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
About 2 washes?? LMAO what a shame, all that work, and you know right where its headed. real nice job Co.........Man thats a lot of time, and those damn RR's have so many interior gadgets, and the way the seats fold, sheeeeeeeesh.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
3-4 washes..............

It is job security for detailers.

Beautiful restoration!
Old 04-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by exceldetail
About 2 washes?? LMAO what a shame, all that work, and you know right where its headed. real nice job Co.........Man thats a lot of time, and those damn RR's have so many interior gadgets, and the way the seats fold, sheeeeeeeesh.
LOL! Yeah Pat prob 2 washes and it will be trashed. Of course it's already sorta trashed. when I went to settle up I saw the truck and noticed that he drove over wet highway paint . Now its all over the right side front fender, side doors and rear wheel and fender! UFB! and he just left it on there and never called me. Now it's got to be as hard as a rock. Oh Well?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Nice work. It always seems that the majority of people with $50K and up vehicles don't take very good care of them! Oh well, when you can afford to drop $500 for a detail, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
Dude I would give you major rep points if we still had 'em. I worked for an LR dealer and that black paint is the biggest bitch to get looking nice. Seriously...you are the man!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:38 AM
I start fires

VERY nice correction sir! What a turnaround! Hopefully the owner will quit washing that thing with burlap sacks...

Anyway, I liked your write up but I did have some questions.

Exterior was sealed with Ultima Paint Guard Plus Sealant, cured for 14 hours then topped with one coat of Danase Wet Glaze via UDM/Red LC pad speed 2.
With that amount of correction, do you think you really needed to apply the glaze? I thought that glaze was a "filler" that basically hid light swirl marks. It seems like you did an awesome job correcting the paint using an aggressive cut & then a fine polish cut with the Nano & I'm not sure if the glaze was necessary. Also, shouldn't the glaze be applied prior to any sealants? Your results are quite nice and I'm not trying to hate, just trying to understand.

Tires and trim protected with Ultima Tire and trim guard plus, undercarriage sprayed with Griots under carriage spray (Great product)
I really like the look of the tires with the Ultima, very nice! How do you like the Griots compared to Adam's Under Carriage?
Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 6SPD
VERY nice correction sir! What a turnaround! Hopefully the owner will quit washing that thing with burlap sacks...

Anyway, I liked your write up but I did have some questions.

With that amount of correction, do you think you really needed to apply the glaze? I thought that glaze was a "filler" that basically hid light swirl marks. It seems like you did an awesome job correcting the paint using an aggressive cut & then a fine polish cut with the Nano & I'm not sure if the glaze was necessary. Also, shouldn't the glaze be applied prior to any sealants? Your results are quite nice and I'm not trying to hate, just trying to understand.

I really like the look of the tires with the Ultima, very nice! How do you like the Griots compared to Adam's Under Carriage?
Great Questions: For the most part you are right Glazes are basically very temporary fillers that wash off or evaporate very quickly and all the swirls it filled are right back. Alot of customers come to me after paying about $160 for a detail and then discover 2 weeks later that their car looks like crap again. I did paint correction so there are no swirls left to fill. I tried the Danase Wet Glaze which is acryllic based, not oil based so It has the ability to bond with the paint. This is significantly different than standard glazes in that it can be layered on top of a paint sealant or put underneath a sealant without effecting the bonding properties. Try this with a typical glaze and that combo would yield disasterous results. IMO the only thing you can put on top of a typical glaze is a carnauba wax. A sealant would just streak all over So the reason I tried the DWG was purely to add cosmetic gloss and depth/Wetness. DWG can be layered and I would have like to layer a 2nd coat but didn't have the time. I have used DWG on both silver and black. On my silver TL I did not really notice any difference. On a black lexus I did not really notice much difference either but on the Range rover that has flake in the paint It did seem to darken the black a little where my neighbor even commented on it. I have found that the DWG really has no filling charectoristics so it really is not what you would consider to be a glaze as defined by most glazes. I have only tried it a couple times so far so I have some more testing to do before I can review how much I like the product.

As far as Griots vs. Adams Undercariage spray I can't say as I have not tried the Adams Undercarriage spray as of yet. Have you?
Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

wow thats amazing.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
I start fires

I have only tried it a couple times so far so I have some more testing to do before I can review how much I like the product.

As far as Griots vs. Adams Undercariage spray I can't say as I have not tried the Adams Undercarriage spray as of yet. Have you?

It sounds like the DWG is a great "hybrid" product that works well with paint finishes that contain metallic flake. I have a Tundra with Phantom Gray Pearl paint & I may just give this product a go. Thanks for the info!

My neighbor uses the Adams Undercarriage spray and he loves it. His details are top notch work & on his personal vehicles, his undercarriages seem to stay very clean between washes. I think if you can pick some up while it's on sale it's a good investment.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Racer

Yeah the Adams products are nice and I use the detail spray that I buy in gallon sizes although I believe all if not most of the Adams products are simply relabeled Chemical Guys products. It's just a matter of figuring out which is which with each company. As far as the DWG again I have not used it enough to tell for sure if it is making a difference or not so I'll have to get back with you guys on that one. I may try it on a Black Lamborghini later today. If you are interested in trying it out I know Pat from Excel Detail sells it.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Spectacular detail! Mucho props