question about udm

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:01 AM
He who laughs, last didnt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
question about udm

will udm work well with zaino?
which udm pack should i get http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/s...tail&ct=65683?
can i put wax over zaino polish?
thx
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i would buy the one with the 5.5" orange/white/red combo, and i would probably add an extra set of pads as well as a few other items that excel offers...

danase wetglaze
optimum polish
optimum poliseal
4 star upp....

i dont know anything about zaino products, so maybe someone else can chime in with info on that....
Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I've done my research and people say they have excellent results with Zaino stuff. They layer it on and keep layering and it seems like a race to see who has the most layers. Theres a ton of Z-# products and it gets confusing

I belive that with FSUPP and DWG, you get similar results, better durability, for alot less effort.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I dont understand the Zaino hysteria either, but some folks swear by it. And as long as theyre protecting, thats whats important.
Maybe Im missing the boat, maybe I should be selling it also?
I dont believe they make anything for swirls though. Hide em, yeah. Remove em, no.
One other thing I never understood was if a product claims such greatness, why does it demand so many coats?
Like I said though, maybe its something I shoud be looking into............
Old 07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Yeah I dont understand the Zaino hysteria either, but some folks swear by it. And as long as theyre protecting, thats whats important.
Maybe Im missing the boat, maybe I should be selling it also?
I dont believe they make anything for swirls though. Hide em, yeah. Remove em, no.
One other thing I never understood was if a product claims such greatness, why does it demand so many coats?
Like I said though, maybe its something I shoud be looking into............

IMO stick with what you know. Why venture off

UPP / opti / DG are probably all you ever need really.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I heres a quote from thier website:

If your finish contains fine scratches or swirl marks, Z-5 Show Car Polish will safely fill and level minor imperfections. As you layer Z-5, these imperfections will disappear!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 PM

it sounds like udm wont work with zaino? or any of guys havent tried it together?
cause i recently brought there whole line of stuff and does a good job as they claim.. but the swirl is still there, i could see it in the right light angle and thought udm will help with that..
so my guess is, i need to get udm and some other things?
exceldetail: can you help me select the detail products i need with the udm.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
might be another topic but UDM > Porter Cable?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Im not really familiar with Zainos products. It appears they are all just surface products, which you could just apply by hand....
Swirls really need to be attacked by polishes, and machine.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Swirls really need to be attacked by polishes, and machine.
can you recommend me, which udm kit and the wax/polish from your site?
i have no clue which one is should pick.. thx
Old 07-18-2008, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor

bAek-sU, Im not sure of your swirls! However, yellow is for medium to heavy swirls, Orange for light to medium, White is for very light.. Find one of those that may suit your needs, then add/find the kit containing the black (for glazes and all in one type polishes/cleaners), and red (for sealant applications).
Optimum polish is for light swirls, Optimum Compound is for light to medium swirls, and the Hyper Compound is medium to heavy swirls......
Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 AM

bAek-sU, Im not sure of your swirls! However, yellow is for medium to heavy swirls, Orange for light to medium, White is for very light.. Find one of those that may suit your needs, then add/find the kit containing the black (for glazes and all in one type polishes/cleaners), and red (for sealant applications).
Optimum polish is for light swirls, Optimum Compound is for light to medium swirls, and the Hyper Compound is medium to heavy swirls......
thx exceldetail..
Old 07-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry I cant be a little more specific, but, well, maybe if you had some pics that would help......I hate telling people what they need, as im not there in person looking at the problem, so its difficult.
einszett also comes to mind. Paint Polish for the more severe, Metallic polish for the lighter.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Racer

Hey exceldetail,

Would you happen to have any pictures classifying light, medium, and heavy swirls? I'm thinking about picking up a UDM but I'm not sure exactly how bad the swirl marks on my car are. I'll try to take some pictures in a couple days. I have a few questions to:

1. How many polishing pads do you need to polish a car (say a TL)? Would one pad suffice for the whole car?

2. I see you're recommending Optimum polish. What about wax (or synthetic polymer?).

Basically I plan on doing a full detail on this TL I just purchased. Wash + clay, polish, wax/sealant. Would this be pretty much what I need to give it that absolutely clean/shine/wet look? Or is there another "stage" of polishing I should look into. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by eluzion
Hey exceldetail,

Would you happen to have any pictures classifying light, medium, and heavy swirls? I'm thinking about picking up a UDM but I'm not sure exactly how bad the swirl marks on my car are. I'll try to take some pictures in a couple days. I have a few questions to:

1. How many polishing pads do you need to polish a car (say a TL)? Would one pad suffice for the whole car?

2. I see you're recommending Optimum polish. What about wax (or synthetic polymer?).

Basically I plan on doing a full detail on this TL I just purchased. Wash + clay, polish, wax/sealant. Would this be pretty much what I need to give it that absolutely clean/shine/wet look? Or is there another "stage" of polishing I should look into. Thanks!
http://www.paintcare-n-detailing.com/polish_02.html
Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Great pics csmeance!

Originally Posted by eluzion
Hey exceldetail,

Swirl severity is very subjective to the owner, also color plays a huge roll. Light swirls on a light color (white, silver) may indeed be medium swirls on another color! Id prefer swirls be graded on a different scale i.e.
Light : "I can live with these", or maybe "when I have time I'll address them".
Med: " I need to take care of these right away", (and then work on my wash and dry technique)
Heavy: "Glad thats not my car!"

If the surface is dirty, you may need a couple. I did a Bimmer over the weekend, washed clayed, and began polishing. I didnt get 1/2 way through befoe having to change pads. There was just too much industrial fallout and the pad was just getting soiled. So I swapped it out. Really depends on the surface cleansliness I reckon.

2 different animals, one cleans, one protects. I really like the Four Star Ult Paint Protectant for sealants, followed up by Four Star Spray Wax w/PC or Duragloss Aqua Wax after washes.

The only thing I can think of that may be missing, is the after wash protection (see #2) or midweek mini detail with a quick detailer.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Racer

whats a mid week mini detail?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bo0sty
whats a mid week mini detail?
Some folks (who shall remain nameless to protect the innocence) wash on weekends. A midweek detail would simply be a quick detail with something like Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer. Something just to give it that fresh, just washed, just waxed look....