Products ordered, now for the process

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009 | 09:05 AM
Banned

Products ordered, now for the process

I should have what I need for this weekend, and the weather looks tops. So, I need to figure out any last minute items or tips.

7424XP w/ 5" backing plate and counterweight (I think that's what that is)
2 orange, 2 white, 1 red, 1 grey/black LC CCS pads
Optimum Compound II, Poliseal
DG105
Optimum Spray Wax

So, my process should be:
Wash (CWG @ wax-strip dilution)
Clay
Wash (CWG wash setting)
Dry
Compound II on which pad?
IPA wipedown - how to do this?
Poliseal on which pad?
DG105 to seal - hand or PC?
Wax
??????
Profit

I haven't decided if I'm going to do any testing on other cars first, but it might be a good idea. Unfortunately, the other car is VERY hard to see defects on (the CR-V in the sig, it's a brown color) so I don't know how much it will help. I know I still need to pick up some Orange Painter's Tape and probably some more IPA.

I went with OC2 for the moment because it was a better value than the Meg's products. I figure I can always upgrade later on.

Here's a good question though - I know that using a machine on plastic panels can be very tricky and can be screwed up more easily. So if I don't want to burn the paint on my bumper, how should I go about removing the paint scuffs from the accident? There's one piece that has paint removed from the bumper, but the rest is white scuffs from the other car.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-30-2009 | 11:45 AM
Banned

So, after doing a little bit of reading (can't watch vids at work), I think I've come up with a plan.

#1 - PoliSeal on white pad. If not, then:
#2 - Compound II on white pad. If not, then:
#3 - Compound II on orange pad

Then I would finish down with PS on white, DG on black/red, and spray wax. Is this correct? General idea? Bueller?

Oh yeah, and I'm confused with pad cleaning. I should use a brush (OTC alternatives?), and spin dry? What media to clean, water?
Old 09-30-2009 | 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Your process looks solid and good idea with taking the least aggressive approach that you outlined on your second post.

Regarding the isopropyl wipe down, I dilute mine with some distilled water in a spray bottle to make around a 50/50 mixture of alcohol and water. I use it like a quick detailer and a plush microfiber towel.

Applying a sealant by hand or with a buffer is preference. For me after polishing for multiple coats, I find applying a sealant by hand is easier. I get sick of that vibrating feeling on a PC pretty quick.

Keep us posted on how things turn out for you. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2009 | 11:57 AM
Needs to clean up

May be a case of a Machine Polishing / PC User leading another but anyway here goes...

Although I haven't used either of the products, based on what I have learned/read, I would use CompoundII with Orange to remove heavy defect and with white where you have minor swirls. Your test panels would probably give you the best idea as to what to start with. PoliSeal probably goes best with Gray pad. However I am not sure if you can get a final finish ready for Poli seal by just using CompoundII. So if CompoundII leaves a haze or minor swirl how do you plan on cleaning that up.

Last edited by sr4dt; 09-30-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2009 | 12:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sr4dt
Although I haven't used either of the products, based on what I have learned/read, I would use CompoundII with Orange to remove heavy defect and with white where you have minor swirls. Your test panels would probably give you the best idea as to what to start with. PoliSeal probably goes best with Gray pad. However I am not sure if you can get a final finish ready for Poli seal by just using CompoundII. So if CompoundII leaves a haze or minor swirl how do you plan on cleaning that up.
I have some reservations about the Compound with Orange at onset. And I wish you had something in between the Compound and PoliSeal. Thats quite a variance of products. I would start with the white and Compound, and see if it leaves any marring, while removing an acceptable amount of swirls. If it doesnt remove the swirls adequately, you will have to jump to Orange.
Make sure you allow the compound to finish out. In other words, allow it time to breakdown while using multiple passes. It is entirely possible to finish with Compound and a white pad, especially on lighter colors. Im just not sure the PS will remove any hazing the Compound may leave on darker colors. Also, feel free to use a white pad with the PS as well.
Old 10-01-2009 | 10:21 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Compound on white first, then if you have deep swirls move to the compound and orange, then you will want to follow up with the PS on white pad, and then sealant last
Old 10-01-2009 | 02:06 PM
Detail Cars in Philly in

i would def get some optimum polish to add in the mix..its what i use the most of