Which product is best for CBP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which product is best for CBP?

First off, I'd like to start by stating this site is awesome! I just bought an '08 TL in Carbon Bronze Pearl.

The overall attitude of Acurazine is fantastic! I am a moderator over at a Toyota forum (www.ultimateyota.com) and I must tip my hat off to the mods and the members here!

Ok, to get to the down and dirty, I have been using nothing but wax on my vehicles. I have, on occasion, used clay bars on them, but have not been satisified.

After all of the reading the "Wash and Wax" section has to offer, I cannot find which product would be best to buy. I have heard a lot about Zaino and how thier product is awesome, but also a pain in the arse to apply. Ive been using nothing but Mothers products and do not have experience with anything else. Can anyone tell me what is the best product to buy to make my CBP shine! I want to buy polish, wax and something for the interior.

For what its worth, I've read numerous threads and still cannot decide, and I tried to PM, excel, but it wouldnt let me

-Matt
Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
First off ... there is no "best " some sealants look better on some colors .. myself in a darker color I'd use Duragloss #105 .. but clay the car first..

You mention polish... well its for correction and most don't work well by hand.

Zaino is great stuff and I have used it but for the newbie I wouldn't recommend it because of the prep needed and if you don't have the equipment its fruitless ...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 PM
The Detailer

In the scheme of things, there really is no best product. The majority of the look of your vehicle is achieved by technique and rather not by product. Generally among the detailing world, 90% of the looks is in the prep work and the remaining 10%, give or take, is in the LSP or last step product (wax, sealant, or combination of both).

If you want to remain strictly OTC, Meguiar's will typically be your best bet for the majority of your detailing arsenal. There are some key products from Vroom (Target brand), Eagle One, Mother's, and ZEP (Home Depot). If you'd like to venture into online shopping, Excel Detail is the place to go. It's one of many online vendors that I purchase products from and Patrick's customer service is top notch.

So if you want to really get into the thick of things, you're encouraged to purchase a PC (Porter Cable 7424) random orbital machine with appropriate backing plates and compounding/polishing/finishing pads. This along with great technique can achieve "show-car-like" results (even though in most car shows, the cars are actually in terrible condition). Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

thanks guys, that does help most. I guess its almost down to personal preference. I dont mind putting in the leg work because I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time. I mostly drive my 4runner and company car, so keeping this thing in pristine condition and taking time on it isnt an issue.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Its a completely different world when you add the PC to the mix.......That should be your first decision, do you, or dont you want to invest in a little bit of machinery help. That decision either opens or closes the doors on products and limitations. Seriously consider it. About 99% of the "Todays details" threads use either a PC, Random Orbital or Rotary machine.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

I second both the above posts .... a lot of people with a new car will step back and not get a PC .. because the car is "new" .

In reality if you do get a PC and bring your new car up to the next level you will find yourself keeping it there. ( and make a few $$ off the neighbors to recoup your costs )

I had an oppertunity on 07 to polish out a buddies brand new black TL and at the same time give a lesson to a VW owner I had met from the same area.

Both were just amazed that some fine polishing and the right sealants could dramatically change a brand new car.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
once you polish out with a machine, you wont go without....its the way to go, and for about 200 bucks you can get started.....
Old 10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

well you guys have convinced me to get an orbital buffer. Any ideas on what brand/model and what to look for in a buffer? I was gonna head to sears and just get one there.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Former Sponsor

No no no, not Sears. Not all Orbitals ARE created equal. You will want to stay away from Sears, Wen and Harbor Freight 9"-10" machines. They are literally, useless. You cannot go wrong with the PC 7424.
But, you do have to buy the accessories needed for proper car care. This is where that door opens wide for you,and you can really become passionate about taking great care of your care. Its the difference between a couple hours of "detailing", and slapping on a layers of Meguiars #6 Cleaner/Wax. And you will notice a distinctive difference. And the surface protection and appearance is just the tip of the iceberg.
Commit to quality, or suffer the consequences.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^^ well said .
Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Also, heres some mandatory reading.......
Old 10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Cruisin'

Outstanding. That thread cleared things up!! I think i may get one of those porter cables! Thanks again guys!