Problems with four star body shop medium cut compound, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Problems with four star body shop medium cut compound, HELP!

My car had a bunch of swirls on it and I decided to use some of the Four Star Body Shop Line Medium Cut compound. I used a white mediums cutting pad from sonus (middle one) and put a good amount of MCC on the pad and spread it to avoid flinging. I put the PC on 3 and started buffing the car. I did the entire hood, top to bottom first, then left to right motion. There was whitish dust there and marks that the PC had left from its random obital. I took a GOOD Microfiber towel and tried to buff them out but they would not budge. On top of that none of my swirls had been removed. I used another microfiber towel, but some MCC on it and did the hood by hand. It removed a few of the swirls and took off the orbital marks that had been left. What did I do wrong, or what is going on?HELP!

Also Excel, Four star should do something about the caps for the bottles, the product dries up in the cap and blocks it then.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
The FS MCC has an extended work time. Dont use too much, or the abrasives wont get a chance to break down properly, and could result in marring (I think this may have happened by the sounds of it) Another problem might be that white pad. I think the Orange may have been better suited. No disrespect, but make sure the pad supports the product. Heres your scenario. Swirls.....and your using a medium grade compound with a finishing pad.
If you have another opportunity, try the following in sequence.
White pad, light cut compound, check swirls.
Orange, Light cut compound, check swirls.
Orange, medium cut, checl swirls, follow with white and light cut compound (Or similiar).

I agree, the caps suck, and they have since changed them! I can send you a new cap if you would like......The ones they use to have would simply break off after about the 5th - 6th time opening.....Let me know if this helps. If not we can figure it out over the phone. I will get ya dialed in foh shoh!!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
The blue pad is the finishing pad, the white pad isn't as abrasive as the orange one and i was afraid of burining the brand new finish on the MDX. It was NOT marring of the paint that I am concerned about. Let me try to explain it:
When you apply wax with a PC you get circles the size of the pad where you have applied the product. These later come out once you buff the wax. No holograms, not scratches, just the product being spread. I used alot of it to make sure that it was properly lubricated and i didn't mar the finish. With the PC, the MCC took nothing off and just was spread around. Doing it by hand got them out. I will try tomorrow on a friends car that is swirled to hell as I finished putting Zaino on it a few weeks back...

Thanks for helping, when should I be expecting a call from you or when should I call?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I set the speed at 3 for LSP application. When working with polishes, I set the speed at 5 or 5.5 so it the abrasives can be broken down. Check this page to see how an abrasive polish breaks down.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I know exactly of the marks your referring to.
CS, that white is a final polishing pad.....Seriously, its not meant for anything heavier then holograms or simple polishes for simple swirls and cleaning. I market my white pad as a super light polishing pad........Use it again with something like Optimum Polish and you will be sweet. Polishes (abrasives) need to roll them selves out. If too much product is used (Imagine a frisbee full of marbles) the marbles dont have a lot of room to roll out (diminish) If you reduce the amount of abrasives (Imagine 1/2 the marbles) they have much more room (surface contact) to abrade/diminish. The BS MCC has pleanty of lubricants, so a lot of product isnt really necessary for your typical operation. the 12/3/6/9 o'clock rule at fingernail size is ample for 1/2 a hood.
Keep in mind, the pad must support the product, and white will not support something heavy like MCC.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
I set the speed at 3 for LSP application. When working with polishes, I set the speed at 5 or 5.5 so it the abrasives can be broken down. Check this page to see how an abrasive polish breaks down.

I agree, bump up your speed to 5. I use 3 when applying wax or sealants not compounding. Good luck