Proactive headlight protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015 | 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Proactive headlight protection

So one thing that bugs the hell out of me is foggy headlights. I want to be proactive and I've been looking at UV protection products that I can apply to keep my headlights from fogging up. As of right now I'm leaning towards Meguiar's Headlight Protectant.

My question to you, Acurazine, what do you use to proactively keep your headlights from fogging up? How long have you been using it? Most importantly, does it work?
Old 07-14-2015 | 04:19 PM
_

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
My question to you, Acurazine, what do you use to proactively keep your headlights from fogging up? How long have you been using it? Most importantly, does it work?
Best thing to do is keep the car out of direct sunlight (especially during the summer) as much as possible. That and a coat of sealant every now and again has worked fine for me.
Old 07-14-2015 | 06:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZuser
Best thing to do is keep the car out of direct sunlight (especially during the summer) as much as possible. That and a coat of sealant every now and again has worked fine for me.
Which sealant do you use?
Old 07-14-2015 | 07:35 PM
_

Which sealant do you use?
Depends on what I decide to use to seal the rest of the car with at that moment. I've got Chemical Guys M Seal, Menzerna Power Lock, and Collinite 845.

You might also want to look into Optimum Opti Lens. It's a bit on the pricey side at $70 but I've heard/read good things about it. The tube will do at least 5-6 cars.

If you've got several cars (family, friends, etc) that are constantly exposed to UV rays and the headlights could use some cleaning up and/or protection, it may be worth it.
The following users liked this post:
VanyDotK (07-28-2015)
Old 07-17-2015 | 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

So one thing that bugs the hell out of me is foggy headlights. I want to be proactive and I've been looking at UV protection products that I can apply to keep my headlights from fogging up. As of right now I'm leaning towards Meguiar's Headlight Protectant.

Any sort of sacrificial cover aka a clear bra will be great for 3-8 years depending on what brand you get. You can buy the films pre-cut from ebay and put them on or have a shop do everything for you. Peel it off when it yellows and the headlights will be still good as new.

If you are concerned about the longevity of the car, I'd also recommend a 90% or 97% tint on your windshield. It'll block 67-90% of UV rays and reject a lot of heat on the interior.It'll protect the dash incredible well. I'm a believer after having the 3G TL dash crack.
Old 07-21-2015 | 09:17 AM
Racer

My headlights started getting cloudy and I hit them with Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer. It seemed to do a pretty decent job. I keep them up with Collinite 845 every time I wax the car and that has kept the cloudiness from returning.
The following users liked this post:
VanyDotK (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015 | 03:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AZuser
Depends on what I decide to use to seal the rest of the car with at that moment. I've got Chemical Guys M Seal, Menzerna Power Lock, and Collinite 845.

You might also want to look into Optimum Opti Lens. It's a bit on the pricey side at $70 but I've heard/read good things about it. The tube will do at least 5-6 cars.

If you've got several cars (family, friends, etc) that are constantly exposed to UV rays and the headlights could use some cleaning up and/or protection, it may be worth it.
Holy crap, the Optimum stuff is expensive! Thanks for the suggestions!

Originally Posted by csmeance
Any sort of sacrificial cover aka a clear bra will be great for 3-8 years depending on what brand you get. You can buy the films pre-cut from ebay and put them on or have a shop do everything for you. Peel it off when it yellows and the headlights will be still good as new.

If you are concerned about the longevity of the car, I'd also recommend a 90% or 97% tint on your windshield. It'll block 67-90% of UV rays and reject a lot of heat on the interior.It'll protect the dash incredible well. I'm a believer after having the 3G TL dash crack.
I actually have a clear bra on the front of my car + headlights, I was just thinking about extra protection. As far as tinting the windshield goes with a 97% tint, that actually sounds like a good idea. Not just to help with heat rejection and interior but for overall health (skin cancer).

Originally Posted by damaged442
My headlights started getting cloudy and I hit them with Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer. It seemed to do a pretty decent job. I keep them up with Collinite 845 every time I wax the car and that has kept the cloudiness from returning.
Nice, so you just apply it once every 3 months or so?