Primer for touch-up pen on polyurethane lower lip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Primer for touch-up pen on polyurethane lower lip?

I had a little incident with a pressure washer and a rock chip (rock chip + pressure washer + painted polyurethane = 1/2" section of paint "blown" off)

Looking to use my touch up paint pen (PWP - premium white pearl) which i've had great results with on my hood last summer. The section of missing paint is in a fairly inconspicuous place so it doesn't have to look perfect.

Anyhow, is there any special primer I need to use to get the paint pen paint to stick to the polyurethane OEM lower lip? Also, is there anything I can use to mask the BLACK polyurethane so that I don't need 1/4" thickness of white paint to cover the darkness underneath?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, I had a similar question, and hopefully it can also be answered in this thread.

I've got a couple small chips in the paint. One of them is deep enough that it looks dark colored as there seems to be no paint left. I'm wondering if I can just apply touch up paint right on the spots, or if it would be necessary to put something down before I paint over them?

The chips are quite small. Probably a couple milimeters in size.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tigerriot
You know, I had a similar question, and hopefully it can also be answered in this thread.

I've got a couple small chips in the paint. One of them is deep enough that it looks dark colored as there seems to be no paint left. I'm wondering if I can just apply touch up paint right on the spots, or if it would be necessary to put something down before I paint over them?

The chips are quite small. Probably a couple milimeters in size.
I've done many of those (on metal surfaces, like the hood).

You can simply use a fiberglass sanding pen to scuff the chip and clean it out, then use a prep-wipe (alcohol wipe, basically), and then apply the OEM touch-up paint into the chip using a toothpick or paper match (the non-flammable end!). Do this in THIN LAYERS, letting it dry for a few hours in between each layer to let the paint shrink, applying as many layers as necessary to get it slightly above the level. Let it dry for an overnight after the last layer, then sand with a very fine and small sanding block to level it, polish, and wax it about a week later.