AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Wash & Wax (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/)
-   -   Porter Cable Polisher (https://acurazine.com/forums/wash-wax-23/porter-cable-polisher-980323/)

AnotherTL 06-18-2019 02:51 PM

Porter Cable Polisher

I have a '12 TL SH-AWD that has some light scratches and general swirl marks, not bad I'm just really picky. My question is if I buy a polisher would it be something I would use once to get the swirl marks and scratches out and then never use again or is this something I would need to do over and over again? I'm debating between buying the polisher, backing plate, pads and polish and doing it myself as opposed to taking it somewhere to have it done. Any advice?

90foxnotch 06-20-2019 11:52 AM

If this is your daily driver chances are you'll use it again. If you have no experience with a buffer or polisher you have to pay attention. Im always for people doing it themselves and saving money and if you enjoy it you can also do friends/family cars. If you choose to get one make sure it is an orbital polisher-makes the job so much easier and almost anyone can get a hang of it. What color is the car? The darker the color the harder it is to make a mirror finish

justnspace 06-20-2019 12:03 PM

cars get abused; from bad/poor washing techniques to keys/fingernails scratches to accidental scrapes/body booboo's.
your car will NEVER stay in perfect condition forever. thus the random orbital polisher is a good tool to have.

Once you start this hobby of paint correction; you will never stop! it's a fun hobby to make the paint as beautiful as it can be.

if you do choose to take it to a detailer; prices can get up there in a hurry.
Because of labor.
it takes a long time to do; less time if you have more man power .

Donn0128 06-21-2019 09:32 AM

Unless you know how to properly use a orbital buffer you can create more problems than you will fix. Might be a better idea to pay to have it professionally detailed.

justnspace 06-27-2019 10:32 AM

^uhh, a porter cable is very easy to operate with basically NO learning curve because it wont mess up the paint

90foxnotch 06-27-2019 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16445272)
^uhh, a porter cable is very easy to operate with basically NO learning curve because it wont mess up the paint

This is correct, with new age polishers it is extremely hard to burn paint or create swirls. An old buffer, of course you can mess things up-easily. The orbital polisher is a detailer's best friend.

justnspace 06-27-2019 10:38 AM

the only thing that I dont like about the PC is that I have to make multiple passes.
I've been thinking of steppin it up to a rupes :D

but i still dont have a job, so....yeah. lol

90foxnotch 06-27-2019 10:41 AM

My friend game me a rupes polisher to borrow and it was awesome. But for $350 I’d just buy a cheaper one and use quality compounds. Come over to Ohio we have lots of jobs lol

Mario's '03 07-11-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by AnotherTL (Post 16441496)
I have a '12 TL SH-AWD that has some light scratches and general swirl marks, not bad I'm just really picky. My question is if I buy a polisher would it be something I would use once to get the swirl marks and scratches out and then never use again or is this something I would need to do over and over again? I'm debating between buying the polisher, backing plate, pads and polish and doing it myself as opposed to taking it somewhere to have it done. Any advice?

Hey there OP, here is a suggestion and link to a video if you're still on the fence. Watch this guys videos
, they could be a little long but very informative. I bought a PC as a starter and have been happy with it.

Tech 07-13-2019 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mario's '03 (Post 16451674)
Watch this guys videos...

I watched his videos a few years ago and he makes many good points, especially the one you posted.

He does go overboard on evaluating polishers stating that some can wreck your paint if you are not clued in. I use a FLEX and even though it is a true Dual Action polisher (with forced rotation), you'd have to be really clued out to wreck your paint.