Polishing Tailpipes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Subsonic

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Polishing Tailpipes!

Alright, so the one thing i cant stand, is rolling in a dirty car. Which sucks cause i dont have time to do a full wash this wkend (stupid finals). But i did have time to do this.. which was buggin me for a while!

Dirty arse tailpipes. I hate em. I hate caked on carbon crud that gets burned in.. drives my nuts.

I did this to my civic a few years ago, took me over an hr to get all the crud off it. I had a used axelback put on, and my friend never cleaned it... EVER. Unfortunately, i forgot to take before pics... but here's the end result:

This pic was taken over a yr ago, and the pipe STILL looks like that now. I have to wipe it down every wk cause I burn pretty rich, so carbon builds up really fast!

NOW! onto the TL!!!

This is 10 months worth of carbon+other crap. During the winter months, it's pretty hard to clean it regularly, since i cant hand wash my car...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4168226_n.jpg
So i wiped it down with a damp cloth. This took off a lot of the salt+sand+etc that was still on it that the touchless washes couldn't get off.

After that, i took out the brasso, and a clean cloth, and started polishing it. This is after one pass. DEF not good enough! Took off all the carbon, but the metal is dull and unimpressive.

This is after 3 passes or so. Metal is starting to shine, but still not there yet for me.

This is after 6 passes (about 20-30 mins). This is much more like it

Other side after 6 passes:

I know from the pics, the driver's side looks a lil shinier, but i think that's cause of the angle of the sun, in reality, they both look about the same in terms of shininess. If i had more time, i would've kept on going for another 6 passes. Maybe when i wax my car in a few wks, i'll do another 6 passes.

After polishing the tailpipe, it's MUCH easier to clean after that. Just take a cloth and wipe it down, and all the carbon comes right off!!

NOTE: DO NOT get the polish on the paint!

Last edited by Teddybear; 04-23-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
good work