Pls Help with water like spots on rims and car

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008 | 07:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Pls Help with water like spots on rims and car

Originally Posted by poisx7
anybody know the best way to prevent water spots especially on the rims frm forming that whitish or rain drop pattern on the chrome wheels, it is fugly looking if u ask me.
I think there is something(minerals) in the TX water or rain that really makes this happens everytime nver had this prblem up Midwest.
My routine is
I wash it off every time i see it but its very difficult to keep it off, i once fot so irritated and washed the wheels every 2days just to avoid seeing those dried up whitish/salty water spots but as soon as they dry or in 2hrs here comes the dang*on spots again.

>i normally use eagle one never dull an then wipe it down.
> then i used mothers chrome polish ( but stopped using it afta 2 wks since they do the same job)
> the hard part/job is in wiping it down real good but sometimes the water spots are so resistant that u can still see them a little so to work it off... I try to spend abt 30 mins/wheel to really get it off.

so the question is what am i doing wrong or what should i be doing.

i was thinking washing it with just plain h2o and soap might wrk but its seems tedious becos the wets rims just create even more mess and needs to be dried well b4 u can even polish or use never dull.

is there any wax chrome safe that cud help, amoroil just doesnt do it.

no acidic or alakaline chemicals pls those will eat up ur wheels or chrome with time = oxidation spots
OR

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...29#post2794029
Old 08-16-2008 | 10:17 PM
Suzuka Master

First off if the spots are already there you need to polish them off .. If you do this then they don't come back ..

You can get new ones .. is this what your seeing?

Also I found it really hard following your post ... sounds like your not drying your wheels after they are washed?

My suggestion is to wash them down good with water then dry them then wipe them down with a clith saturated with white vinegar to try and remove the water spots. Using #0000 steel wool with it will help.

Then wash the wheels with carwash soap & water and dry them .. then apply a layer of NuFinish liquid .. and after at least 24 hours wash & dry & apply another layer of NuFinish.

After that dry your wheels at the end of the wash.
Old 08-17-2008 | 05:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

offcourse, I dry them after the wash. If they are not dry u can not even polish them since the polish contains petroleum distillates that wnt even mix with water.

I will also try ur suggestion above,
Now what does the white vinegar do ?
& I believe Nufinish is some sort of wax right ??
Old 08-17-2008 | 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by poisx7
offcourse, I dry them after the wash. If they are not dry u can not even polish them since the polish contains petroleum distillates that wnt even mix with water.

I will also try ur suggestion above,
Now what does the white vinegar do ?
& I believe Nufinish is some sort of wax right ??
White vinegar will help dissolve water spots which are mineral deposits.

Yes NuFinish is a polymer sealant. ( Wax)