Please critique the $100+ worth of products my friend just bought for us

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Please critique the $100+ worth of products my friend just bought for us

Before I begin, I WILL be buying from exceldetail in the future. This time my friend decided to buy everything for us from Strauss Discount Auto without me being there.

Please let me know if something is an automatic return and if anything can be exchanged for something better in the same price range. I am a beginner to this so I don't want to jump right into the advanced stuff. I'll be doing everything by hand, but eventually i'll get a PC.

FYI my car is 3 weeks old, PWP / Ebony 2009 TSX.

He already has car soap (some generic shit).

Ok now down to the products! (company name in CAPS)

THE COLOR TREATMENT color enhanced carnauba car polish (this bottle is white)
THE COLOR TREATMENT color enhanced carnauba car polish (this bottle is green) (why the different bottle colors? my friend's car is green btw)
MOTHERS fx spray wax
PRESTONE interior cleaner (has a brush attached to the cap of the spray)
ARMORALL ultra shine protectant
ARMORALL leather wipes
RAINOX glass treatment wipes

to be honest when i first saw these products, i wanted to bitch at him, half of the shit i've never heard of and none of the products i actually had in mind were bought. BUT as a friend i couldn't do that and just said thanks for trying and taking your time to buy all of this.

with that said, this is what i really wanted to buy car wash soap + wax. i will buy clay/polish stuff later on when i need.

Products i had in mind:

Megs Gold Class car wash (exterior)
FS UPP or Megs NXT wax (protectant)
lexol or 303 or Mothers reflection leather cleaner (interior)
ton of microfiber mitts/towels

thats it!

what do you guys think? please help and thanks.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Kang Ho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh my...$100 would have got you 5 good things. Was this friend a girl? Some of these thing are ... your opinion are the same as mine, so I'll stop rambling.

Keep:
ArmorAll products (these arent that great, but you gotta keep something)

Return:
everything else

I would grab:
-Stoner's Invisible Glass
-FS UPP (special occassion)
-Optimum Instant Detailer
-Duragloss Aquawax (maintenance)

I dont think you need any clay/polish yet because your car is faily new and a pc/udm would run you at least $100 already. Post up some pictures once you are done.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Pro

fuck it, i won't keep shit. ill try to return everything

stoners = windows?

and why is UPP for special occasions? i thought that would be my wax

im not sure if im quite at the level of needing the OID and DA... i figure i'll be good with just soap + waxing for now

what about interior detailing? lexol? mothers reflections leather cleaner? aerospace 303?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
fuck it, i won't keep shit. ill try to return everything

stoners = windows?

and why is UPP for special occasions? i thought that would be my wax

im not sure if im quite at the level of needing the OID and DA... i figure i'll be good with just soap + waxing for now

what about interior detailing? lexol? mothers reflections leather cleaner? aerospace 303?
Stoners IG is use for windows. That thing is awesome! UPP is expensive, so you gotta conserve it. Just kidding. You dont need to use it everytime you wash your car. It last for months so you just need to use DG Aquawax for maintenance. Also because Patrick (exceldetail) recommended to use it like that. As far as interior, I would get the 303. I have it, but I havent got a chance to use it yet.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Racer

you could pick up an optimum sample pack from excel for like less then 20$ and be able to do both of your cars. get the eurow special car wash kit for another 20$. then you got 60$ to spend on sealant, wheel cleaner, some 303, maybe some ONRW. im sure you can get a well armed setup and get the most bang for your buck from excel.

...why not just buy from excel now instead of wishing your bought from him later.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Pro

boosty i plan on detailing within a few days and i dont want to offend my friend (that much)

but dear god all of this shit is goin back
Old 08-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Kang Ho

Originally Posted by bo0sty
you could pick up an optimum sample pack from excel for like less then 20$ and be able to do both of your cars. get the eurow special car wash kit for another 20$. then you got 60$ to spend on sealant, wheel cleaner, some 303, maybe some ONRW. im sure you can get a well armed setup and get the most bang for your buck from excel.

...why not just buy from excel now instead of wishing your bought from him later.
I forgot about the eurow kit! That kit is freaking awesome. The Optimum No Rinse Wash is great suggestion.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 AM
Racer

If were talking OTC, i say just pick up a sheepskin mitt, 2 buckets, some megs car wash, wheel cleaner, stoners, 2 waffle weave towels, a decent wax and maybe a clay bar if you want. this should hold you over till you're ready to by a buffer. i would not attempt polishing by hand, there would be no noticeable change, and its not worth the effort.

just buy stuff that will maintain the condition you currently have till your ready to polish with a buffer.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Racer

i know you don't want to offend him, but just tell him you've done the research and you know which products will work. just tell him you want to get the most for you money. if i saved money i would not be offended.

i've gone the low quality route and i've wasted so much money. just saying you should go for the stuff you know will work so you don't wasted money like me.

oh and get megs interior detail or wipes. armor all is a pain to apply and remove and makes everything oily.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Pro

If were talking OTC, i say just pick up a sheepskin mitt, 2 buckets, some megs car wash, wheel cleaner, stoners, 2 waffle weave towels, a decent wax and maybe a clay bar if you want. this should hold you over till you're ready to by a buffer. i would not attempt polishing by hand, there would be no noticeable change, and its not worth the effort.

just buy stuff that will maintain the condition you currently have till your ready to polish with a buffer.
this is exactly what im lookin to get

meg car wash
stoners for windows
UPP for wax
and something for my interior (like u said megs or mothers or lexol or 303 etc)

btw i'm gonna be using a hose... 2 buckets not necessary right?
Old 08-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Kang Ho

this is exactly what im lookin to get

meg car wash
stoners for windows
UPP for wax
and something for my interior (like u said megs or mothers or lexol or 303 etc)

btw i'm gonna be using a hose... 2 buckets not necessary right?
Eurow Kit
Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by SupaRookie
pardon my ignorance

looks like a great kit

so you're saying i dont need 2 buckets

and the 1 bucket from eurow covers me since i have a hose?

(also 13 shipping lol wtf oh well)
Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Racer

with 2 buckets you have 1 uncontaminated with soap then the other is a rinse bucket that will remove loose dirt from your mitt. with the eurow kit it has a grit guard, which keeps dirt at the bottom of the bucket. you could buy some grit guards for 5 gal buckets at autogeek.

honestly though im too lazy to do that and i haven't noticed any swirling or marring with 1 bucket.every once in awhile ill run water through my mitt with the hose.

so i fill the other bucket with car wash soap and use an old microfiber mitt to scrub my wheels. using a wheel cleaner then wiping it down makes dust removal effort less and the wheels look great.

for my interior, i use my mom's leather wipes for the furniture just to clean them. i dont think theres any harm in using that...100% natural. then i use megs instant interior or detailer wipes to wipe down the cockpit, steering wheel, door panels, vents, center consle. its easy doesnt leave residue and i can get it at my local auto zone. its great for quick mid week detail or whenever you need a quick cleaning.

list looks good though, but im not sure where you find UPP OTC. get some good microfiber towels and a soft waffle weave towel for drying(get 2 for quick drying)...or a leaf blower. for wax i use to use NXT, i know it doesnt last long...but it will hide some swirls and makes the surface look great.

Last edited by bo0sty; 08-12-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 AM
Kang Ho

pardon my ignorance

looks like a great kit

so you're saying i dont need 2 buckets

and the 1 bucket from eurow covers me since i have a hose?

Yea, shipping is a bit much. But when I buy from Patrick, it's usually above $50 anyways. Yea, you dont need 2 bucket if you use the eurow.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Pro

damn aight im gonna go get the receipt tomorrow

go to strauss

return everything

get what i can from them

and buy rest from excel

then detail my car...

arg...

my car is dirty as hell already after only 3 weeks cause it got rained on twice...

is it fine to wait a bit longer?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Kang Ho

go to strauss

return everything

get what i can from them

and buy rest from excel

then detail my car...

arg...

my car is dirty as hell already after only 3 weeks cause it got rained on twice...

I wash my car once a month. After it's done, I'm always amaze.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

For the folks who havent ordered this kit because they think I charge too much:

Look at the far right column in red.....
Your only being charged $12.26 for the Eurow bucket and its contents (Kit price expires Sunday @ Midnite PST), coming in at 9lbs, and its a large box. Guess who pays the other $2.19 ? I make <$1.00 on your order.

[size=medium]Service [/size]
[size=small]with delivery date/time [/size] [size=small]FedEx First Overnight® [/size]
[size=small] 8:30 AM [/size]
[size=small]Wed Aug 13, 2008[/size]

[size=small]FedEx Priority Overnight® [/size]
[size=small] 10:30 AM [/size]

[size=small]FedEx Standard Overnight® [/size]
[size=small] 3:00 PM [/size]

[size=small]FedEx 2Day® [/size]
[size=small] 7:00 PM [/size]
[size=small]Thu Aug 14, 2008[/size]

[size=small]FedEx Express Saver® [/size]
[size=small] 7:00 PM [/size]
[size=small]Fri Aug 15, 2008[/size]

[size=small]FedEx Home Delivery® [/size]
[size=small]End of day [/size]
[size=small](4 Business Days )[/size]

Base rate 100.95 75.95 68.25 43.80 30.75 11.16 Additional charges (+) + Residential Surcharge 2.30 2.30 2.30 2.30 2.30 1.95 + Fuel surcharge 35.62 27.00 24.34 15.90 11.40 1.34 Total 138.87 105.25 94.89 62.00 44.45 14.45

As for the UPP being a special product: UPP is a wonderful product that was priced under $20.00 (@ exceldetail.com). That price made it a real value. Four Star introduced the Polycharger into UPP, which increased its durability. Well, along with technology came a near 50% increase in wholesale and retail price. I decided to help offset the retail price with throwing in a couple MF towels to help ease the burden of spending nearly $30.00 on it. Believe me, I bitched and complained to Four Star about the increase. I almost decided at that point, to quit distributing it as I was so irrate at them. But quality is hard to find these days, and once you find something you like, you become loyal to it. Ive been using this stuff for so long now, and have turned it on to a l o t of people, who in turn have praised its ease of use, looks and protection, I have to keep it!
When used as a base protectant, it is a very very good product, and worth the $30.00. Figure 1oz per application (at most), 16oz bottle, quarterly application (4 times annually), thats 4 years of protection! Try getting 4 years of protection at the dealer for $30.00!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Pro

excel does your site not work with FF?

when i click 'order' on a product, nothing happens
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
For the folks who havent ordered this kit because they think I charge too much:

Look at the far right column in red.....
Your only being charged $12.26 for the Eurow bucket and its contents (Kit price expires Sunday @ Midnite PST), coming in at 9lbs, and its a large box. Guess who pays the other $2.19 ? I make <$1.00 on your order.

As for the UPP being a special product: UPP is a wonderful product that was priced under $20.00 (@ exceldetail.com). That price made it a real value. Four Star introduced the Polycharger into UPP, which increased its durability. Well, along with technology came a near 50% increase in wholesale and retail price. I decided to help offset the retail price with throwing in a couple MF towels to help ease the burden of spending nearly $30.00 on it. Believe me, I bitched and complained to Four Star about the increase. I almost decided at that point, to quit distributing it as I was so irrate at them. But quality is hard to find these days, and once you find something you like, you become loyal to it. Ive been using this stuff for so long now, and have turned it on to a l o t of people, who in turn have praised its ease of use, looks and protection, I have to keep it!
When used as a base protectant, it is a very very good product, and worth the $30.00. Figure 1oz per application (at most), 16oz bottle, quarterly application (4 times annually), thats 4 years of protection! Try getting 4 years of protection at the dealer for $30.00!
LOL, I have no reason why my post came out the way it did.
Anyway, FF should work?! I use Flock which is FF oriented.
We could always just do it by email, and I will place the order.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going to do some OTC stuff, get Meguires UQD. It comes in a curvy black spray bottle with a picture of a car on the front. It should be about $9 for a bottle. Can be found your Wal-Mart or Target

It's one of my favorite cleaning quick detail.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
i use 4 star upp, but before that i used meguiars nxt to get me by....its worth the price for an otc product and it will get you by til you can get an order for the upp...

i use two buckets, but not the way everyone else does, i use one bucket of solution for my wheels, tires and wheel wells...the other for the rest of the car...i just spray off my mitt inbetween panels....
Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Racer

theres no reason why you cant wash your car while you wait for the rest of the products.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Pro

theres no reason why you cant wash your car while you wait for the rest of the products.
what do you mean?

wash the car... then wait a few days to wax? it'll get dirty again lol
Old 08-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Racer

you can wash it then wash it again when you ready to detail or wax...although not exactly water friendly...you have a clean car
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Pro

you can wash it then wash it again when you ready to detail or wax...although not exactly water friendly...you have a clean car
i prefer to do it all at once

im goin back to strauss discount auto tomorrow

gonna try to at least get megs soap and megs nxt since you guys said UPP isn't OTC
Old 08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Racer

ya i dont think i've ever seen UPP at the stores, i wish.