PC 7424xp Just Arrived - It's HEAVY

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009 | 03:41 PM
Instructor

PC 7424xp Just Arrived - It's HEAVY

uh - this thing feels like it weighs a ton. I can't see holding this thing up for any length of time. IDK, I'm worried that I won't use it much at all unless absolutely necessary.

Given the weight of this thing, I'm now perplexed as to how to use it properly. If using it on a horizontal surface (hood, etc) do you allow it's weight to rest on the car or try to hold it up to take the weight off? If using it on the doors, do you have to press it much? I would imagine so to get even pressure for the hood & doors?

I can't imagine using it for any length of time without a break which is OK I guess. I'm just surprised at how heavy it is and that's without the plate, handle, wet pad. Is it silly of me to think doing it by hand would be easier?
About how long does it take to do the average full process on a averagely neglected car? :o Am I being a wimp? I admit to my arms not being in the best shape. This will be interesting.
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Bold
Originally Posted by meagain
uh - this thing feels like it weighs a ton. I can't see holding this thing up for any length of time. IDK, I'm worried that I won't use it much at all unless absolutely necessary. Its just a tad heavier then the older, less amped one. Comes in at just over 5lbs. Little heavier then a Gal of milk. Feel confidant, its an easy machine to use, and just take your time! Next thing ya know you'll be doin the neighbors "SS Excursion"

Given the weight of this thing, I'm now perplexed as to how to use it properly. If using it on a horizontal surface (hood, etc) do you allow it's weight to rest on the car or try to hold it up to take the weight off? If anything, you add several pounds of force. This helps in manipulating its movement. If using it on the doors, do you have to press it much? I would imagine so to get even pressure for the hood & doors? Same thing, enough pressure to make it go where you want it to go.......

I can't imagine using it for any length of time without a break which is OK I guess. I'm just surprised at how heavy it is and that's without the plate, handle, wet pad. Is it silly of me to think doing it by hand would be easier? Tell you what, if I recall, you have a couple cars your doing. Do one by hand, then the other with the PC. Then answer your own question.
About how long does it take to do the average full process on a averagely neglected car? Several hours, depending on existing condition. :o Am I being a wimp? I admit to my arms not being in the best shape. They will be soon!! You will be fine!! Seriously. Your not a whimp, your just inexperienced with the machine! This will be interesting.
Old 09-17-2009 | 05:51 PM
Instructor

Well, I've decided some of what I'm feeling is the cord and the imbalance caused by the still wrapped up cord near it. I'm over it. It just threw me for a while. I could see it being helpful to have the cord running above instead of dragging it around. Actually, I can very well see where this cord could be a PITA and one has to be careful of it sliding against the car as you move, etc.

I wish I could practice on something. I figure I have a ton of experience with sanding so I think I should be OK.
Old 09-17-2009 | 07:17 PM
bringin lead

My plan was to buy an old hood or fender or door from a junk yard or body shop and practice on it instead of my TL. Ran across a friend that had a door at his house from an old clunker. I've been practicing on it for the last week or so - I'm now comfortable with the machine and the process.

I've figured out the steepest part of the learning curve is the product / pad combo and when to use what. George, Patrick, and Todd have made this last part easier with their recommendations and the DIY posted this week. Also, start paying attention to the products and pads people use when they post threads about details. Portland RL, Megalodon, Jesstsn and others have given me tons of tips without even knowing they were doing so.
Old 09-18-2009 | 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor

FirePR2002, im envious of the R/T ! Do you have any pics?
Old 09-18-2009 | 06:14 AM
Banned

I'm seriously considering picking one up today. So many other things I need to buy, but I do have swirls and such that I'd like to take care of.
Old 09-18-2009 | 07:54 AM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by exceldetail
FirePR2002, im envious of the R/T ! Do you have any pics?
none you want to see, unfortunately. it was my wife's before we got together and was NEVER taken care of. clear has failed on every horizontal surface - i don't think it was ever waxed, let alone washed before we met.

it freaking SCREAMS though due to the 5.9L engine and posi-rear.

this is what it looks like though (if you imagine clear gone on the hood, tops of fenders, roof, and bed rails):

Last edited by FirePR2002; 09-18-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2009 | 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

I always wondered how they shoved nearly 6 liters in there......Im sure it does scream!
Old 09-18-2009 | 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, I've decided some of what I'm feeling is the cord and the imbalance caused by the still wrapped up cord near it. I'm over it. It just threw me for a while. I could see it being helpful to have the cord running above instead of dragging it around. Actually, I can very well see where this cord could be a PITA and one has to be careful of it sliding against the car as you move, etc.

I wish I could practice on something. I figure I have a ton of experience with sanding so I think I should be OK.

meagain if you used the first edition of the UDM you will be glad the current cord is as long as it is. The other one was just the right lendth to get the plug hung up in your feet or when foing the roof of a SUV it would hang up on the ladder or rub over the side panels. The cord is also a softer material so its not an issue. I have been using it now since thay first came out.
Old 09-18-2009 | 08:40 AM
bringin lead

I always wondered how they shoved nearly 6 liters in there......Im sure it does scream!
there's room for more actually. i'll snap a couple pics of the beast and send them to you this weekend.
Old 09-18-2009 | 08:57 AM
j1n
Pro

i dont know why people say to practice on an old car or random piece.... i bought the flex which is more powerful then the PC and i jumped right in and started to polish my car. just watch a DIY video on how to do it and just go ahead and do it. i dont know how you can fuck up unless you hold it in one spot for a long ass time. there is a bunch of PC DIY vids on autogeek.net . i just followed those directions even tho i used the flex... pretty much the same thing.

The only thing i learned after i did the first spot on the car was that i needed to use more presure and i just redid it again with the orange pad and compound.

also with the cord. i would have it behind me and have the cord over my shoulder so it wouldnt touch the car at all. i also used an extension cord so i would have plenty of slack.
Old 09-18-2009 | 10:23 AM
Instructor

Sounds good. I have the TL today so I could get started on painting chips. I probably should wash the car first but was thinking of just cleaning the wounded areas to get a layer on it. It would help if I could find the darned paint!

I didn't get my pads yet. Probably next week I'll be able to do something with the machine then.
Old 09-18-2009 | 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Sounds good. I have the TL today so I could get started on painting chips. I probably should wash the car first but was thinking of just cleaning the wounded areas to get a layer on it. It would help if I could find the darned paint!

I didn't get my pads yet. Probably next week I'll be able to do something with the machine then.
Looks like Tuesday Me....
Early in the week, there was an vehicle accident that closed down the road leading to the location of my warehouse. I could not ship orders on Monday, sorry folks!!
Old 09-18-2009 | 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
none you want to see, unfortunately. it was my wife's before we got together and was NEVER taken care of. clear has failed on every horizontal surface - i don't think it was ever waxed, let alone washed before we met.

it freaking SCREAMS though due to the 5.9L engine and posi-rear.

this is what it looks like though (if you imagine clear gone on the hood, tops of fenders, roof, and bed rails):

Chip it! I want one!
Old 09-19-2009 | 10:31 AM
Instructor

Looks like Tuesday Me....
Early in the week, there was an vehicle accident that closed down the road leading to the location of my warehouse. I could not ship orders on Monday, sorry folks!!
It's already moving faster than I anticipated anyway. I have the Tuff Shine tire stuff already.

I got most of the chips done though have to do some more buildup on a few.

Anyone think Optimum Hyper compound would knock down the paint bumps as well as 3000 Megs unigrit? I'm wondering if it'll at least do some of the tiny ones.