Paint Correction + AvalonKing ceramic = holey moley

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Paint Correction + AvalonKing ceramic = holey moley

As the title implies, I completed what ended up being a 2 day process of 2 bucket washing, clay bar, ipa wipe down, paint correction (using Meguiar's Microfiber DA Paint correction kit with a DA polisher from harbor freight), another IPA wipe down, and then applying AvalonKing to my 7 year old RLX. Holy moley, it's amazing!

The following 5 users liked this post by amthar:
1StGenCL (08-13-2021), CheeseyPoofs McNut (09-06-2021), Kelsen (06-17-2021), nist7 (06-16-2021), ttribe (06-18-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Neighbor

Your car looks incredible! I have been wanting to try the clay bar after seeing the photos of other's vehicles. One question, what is the ipa wipe? That one is new to me...
Old 06-17-2021, 09:25 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks!

I'm going to answer you with a long answer.

The real improvement was from the paint correction step - it removed swirl marks, light scratches, water spots, etc. Paint correction step is what made it look brand new. The AvalonKing Ceramic Coating is what makes it look "wet", like a mirror and makes ongoing maintenance (washing) super fast and super easy process.

The clay bar helps remove grime and build-up from the clear coat. It pulls debris out/off of the clear coat. It doesn't help with swirl marks, light scratches, water spots, etc.

IPA is isopropyl alcohol. I used 90% IPA in a spray bottle. IPA wipe down ensures your clear coat is perfectly clean. After clay barring an IPA wipedown is important to remove everything & anything else that might still be on the clear coat (including clay bar residue) before performing paint correction with cutting discs. IPA wipedown is also important after performing paint correction to make sure all the cutting compound is off the car and the clear coat is again perfectly clean and ready for your finishing product(s).

After washing, clay barring & an IPA wipe down, you can be confident that the clear coat is perfectly clean and ready for you to apply your finishing product(s). In my case, it was the AvalonKing ceramic coating. A ceramic coating is basically a hydrophobic layer that sits on the top of the clear coat and is a replacement for waxes & polishes. It's important to really take your time and thoroughly clean and prep the car before applying something like a ceramic coating because it seals your paint as-is for 2-3 years (depending on environmental variables).

TLDR; IPA is isopropyl alcohol and is important step if you're trying to get the car down to a perfectly clean clear coat in order to apply paint correction or to apply your finishing product(s).

The following 3 users liked this post by amthar:
Acura TL Builder (06-24-2021), JohnWilson (12-09-2022), Kelsen (01-18-2022)
Old 06-17-2021, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Thanks. The detail is quite useful. I went to the avalon website and upon reading the how-to started a "wishlist". I see your vehicle is housed in a garage and that provided the protection while the ceramic coating "cured" (for lack of a better term). However, with your experience, do you feel it would be safe for the process to cover the vehicle with a cover for those without a garage?
Old 06-18-2021, 07:11 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Heaven's Devil
Thanks. The detail is quite useful. I went to the avalon website and upon reading the how-to started a "wishlist". I see your vehicle is housed in a garage and that provided the protection while the ceramic coating "cured" (for lack of a better term). However, with your experience, do you feel it would be safe for the process to cover the vehicle with a cover for those without a garage?
it would be pointless to apply the ceramic coating without the paint correction.
it will also be pointless if you apply the ceramic coating in direct sun light.

what do you mean, cover? like a tent? sure!!!!! as long as it is out of direct sunlight when you apply any kind of product...including washing with car soap.

meaning; you need to wash, dry, clay bar, IPA, Paint correct, IPA, Ceramic coat in the shade.
if this means buying a tent or doing it in the morning or at night, so be it.
any product applied in direct sunlight will not yield great results...will get poor results. from products melting, to leaving etched marks, to leaving water spots.
You cant wash cars in direct sunlight

and yes, it takes me anywhere from 12hours to two days. it's just a lot of work to do.

Last edited by justnspace; 06-18-2021 at 07:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (06-24-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 10:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
Originally Posted by Heaven's Devil
No, you would not want to use a car cover while the coating cures.

It can still flow while its curing and get smudged or marked by the car cover.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

I know this is a much delayed response, but I too do not have a garage. I had two garages lined up to borrow while I did this project. I was lucky in that my first choice, my future in-laws, came through. My fiance's dad is really into cars and he helped me with the project - which was super helpful because it's one helluva project!

All my glass has water spots on it - I picked up some of this
Amazon Amazon
and need to schedule another trip down to their house to apply this to the glass and then ceramic coat the glass in the garage.
Old 03-20-2022, 02:53 PM
5th Gear

Car looks great how bad was the paint before the correction
Old 03-24-2022, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

LOTS of swirl marks on the hood and trunk, the doors were not terrible, roof wasn't either. I wish I would have taken before photos
Old 01-07-2023, 04:26 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Bumping this - wow that looks great. I'm going to attempt this once the weather clears up. Thanks for the additional information regarding the process, steps, etc. It was helpful to know what to pick up before starting anything.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:51 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I couldn't wait for the rain to end so wound up just testing everything out on my wife's car. Your writeup was incredibly helpful. It was a very time consuming process but the end result was worth the time.