optimum wait time to detail after painting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
optimum wait time to detail after painting?

my car is in the process of getting a lip kit molded to my car. when the full kit is done i want to get my car wax, buffed, swirls out the paint, etc. how long should i really wait until after all this is done to get it detailed? ive heard different opinions on how long you should wait after new paint is applied but i figured this would be the best place to get a good answer.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
And the correct answer is ............. Ask the guy thats painting it ... he know what is best.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
And the correct answer is ............. Ask the guy thats painting it ... he know what is best.
Best answer given by Jesstzn... the shop will (should) know best.

Typical cure time on a freshly painted surface ranges from 90 - 120 days. If they are able to bake the painted piece it can reduce the cure time needed quite a bit but since it's being molded on your car, I don't think that'll be the case.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:21 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I was told to wait at least one week after a paint job before "waxing" (Lanzini). But, I've heard that you should wait around 3-months after a paint job to install a clear bra.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:01 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
One of the most often asked question (besides Leather care and Glass cleaning) and a subject that results in a great deal of confusion and misinformation regarding polishing or waxing re-painted panels.

The majority of refinish paint is supplied by BASF DuPont, PPG and Sherwin Williams is 2K (2 component paint + activator) polyurethane systems; one component is polyisocyanate and the second is a polyol (acrylic or polyester polyol). Solvent-based paints (which still constitutes the majority of what is still being used, despite VOC regulations) once the two components react they form a strong polymer chain.

Newly applied paint is soft, much softer than OEM paint, while newly refinished paint is about 90% cured within 24 hours, although it does take up to 30 days for it to become fully cross-linked (even with the help of a drying oven and various additives). New paint needs to outgas for approximately 90 days (i.e. the solvents need to evaporate) if this is hindered by an inappropriate product application the clear coat may form a 'hard film' on top and the clear coat matrix may remain 'soft'. Most product data sheets (PSheet) state paint will air dry in 12 hours to buff and take 16 hours to fully dry.

Fresh paint safe glaze’ - while a paint is cross linking, using solvent- based waxes or sealants is not ideal since the solvents penetrate the paint and soften it and will interfere with the outgas / cross linking process. The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine or mineral oils(to produce a high shine) and a mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’ for the same reasons

The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe’ water-based or polymer type product, Zaino Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) Optimum Car Wax is water-based and is safe on fresh paint, or use Presta Fast it’s a liquefied paste wax manufactured with premium, natural and synthetic ingredients. This unique wax can be applied over 24-hour old clear coat and single-stage finishes without risk of die back, because it creates a breathable film that permits solvents to cross the wax film. Allow an ‘initial gas off’ (evaporate) /cure aerobic process of 7 days before application

These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in a water-based paint to outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

Note:
1. DuPont and , PPG recommend a 90 day period whereas BSAF advise 30 days; but any recommendation is dependent upon what paint, hardener, drying system, additives etc were used, the body-shop / paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice
2. Paint manufacturer have specific technical guidelines (see ‘Product Sheet’ or P-Sheet) on how to use their products to affect a warranted spot/panel/ repairs or a full repaint. This preserves both the paint manufactures and factory warranty (if offered)

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet I more than appreciate these articles are very technical in content and therefore will not appeal to every detailers level of knowledge or experience. But chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved
Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
And there ya have it. TY Jon.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by exceldetail
And there ya have it. TY Jon.
Always glad to share experience / knowledge
Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TOGWT
Always glad to share experience / knowledge

Is it ok if we cut & paste that for later use? Its very good.
D.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 668 Likes on 390 Posts
Thanks togwt.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Is it ok if we cut & paste that for later use? Its very good.
D.
Experience unshared is knowledge wasted. Glad to be of help