Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice Steve, nice !
This place gets new experts every week!! I love it!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just ordered some NRWS, mister, and a few other things from Exceldetail.com and I have to said their customer service is unbeatable. The order was flawless they had all of what I needed at a very competitive price. But best of all shipping was very very quick.

Thanks Pat!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:43 PM
Pro

Talking

Originally Posted by giff74
That is a great explanation, thanks Steve.
Not a problem, glad I could help! This product truly is a great find for those of us in rough winter climates. I hate not being able to wash in the cold 0 - 30 degree weather and letting the salt just sit on my car. This has solved that problem. The only negative, if you can even call it that, is the fact that I have to use one extra towel when drying because I can't use the sheeting method to get rid of most of the excess water. I also love driving by the neighbors new black G35x, covered in salt, while I have a freshly cleaned TL almost every day

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Nice Steve, nice !
This place gets new experts every week!! I love it!
Well thanks Pat, although I'm far from an expert in comparison to most here Although, I'd like to think I'm moving along from where I was when I got the TL in August. I just remember what it's like knowing how to do very little and I needing very detailed explanations to feel confident using certain products.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Pro

Here we go guys, some more shots of Optimum NRWS in action.... This was quick wash tonight, I wanted a clean car for tomorrow, I couldn't stand all the salt on the side of the car. You can see I didn't do the wheel wells, but it looks 100 times better, IMO

THE CAUSE:

THE EFFECT:

PRE-TREAT (Half the door is sprayed to show effect of pre-treat):

THE RESULTS OF NRWS:

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Oh damn! I think we need a NRWS b4/after pic thread!! Nice work! Best of all its easy!
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Pro

^^^

Thanks Pat. I was almost thinking of starting a new one, since I've added two sets of pictures to this one, haha. I've become addicted to this NRWS all of a sudden. When I first bought it in the summer, I didn't really use it because I could use the hose, now I use it once (sometimes twice a week )
Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Cool

Prolonged cold, ice everywhere, bucket wash impractical. Water is not draining.

Took the TSX to the local pay and spray. Preloaded garden sprayer with 2 oz ONR and one gallon water.

Used garden sprayer on dry car - about a half gallon. Let dwell a couple minutes while collecting & loading change for the self-serve. Micro drops lift off the dirt. The car was covered with salt, sand, and goose droppings.

Low pressure sprayed the car for three minutes.

Another half gallon from garden sprayer of ONR mix. Then high pressure spray for another three minutes. Got the car a little cleaner, second wash not necessary.

TSX is no way clean enough to dry with a towel. Plenty of spots need a bucket wash, too cold.

Drive around fast for a spot free ride. Is it clean? No. Does it look good? Yes (its silver). The pay and spray has some conditioned water that my tap can't compete with.

Time at the pay & spray was ten minutes. Their tunnel wash would have gotten the car cleaner, but likely with some scratching. Don't rub the car till its clean.

5o9
Old 12-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Pro

^^^

5o9 - that's certainly a different method I haven't read about before. Can I ask you why you don't do the full wash many of us do at home? Pre-treat, wash as usual, MF WW dry?

Granted, you may be more prone to scratches than usual, but I think only if your car is in severely dirty condition. Plus, the way I look at it - the very minimal scratches you may get can easily be corrected with a UDM come Spring time or mid-winter when we get that very occasional warm day for a full wash. I'd rather correct a few very minor scratches come spring time than to let salt sit on the car for an extended period of time

I was with NRWS weekly at least, sometimes twice a week. Maybe because I do this, there is rarely much dirt on the car, certainly not like the salt covered picture I posted above.

Just my - I'm curious to hear your opinions though...
Old 12-15-2007, 01:02 AM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

Just wanted 10 minutes at the pay and spray and enjoy a drive to dry. Certainly got the salt off, was left with a bit of road goo and goose droppings.

I'm happy, going to do it again tomorrow.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

I used Optimum NRWS for the first time yesterday. I ran the car through a touch-less car wash first, primarily to get the salt off of the underside. Next time will just go to a spray it yourself place. Used a sheepskin mitt and two microfiber towels. Will try the garden spray technique first next time.

The NRWS worked just fine, car looks great. I also did a part of my wife's car. Her car had not been pre-washed. That part looks fine too. Ran out of time to do the rest.

One thing that impressed me that I haven't seen mentioned before. The cloths and the mitt were quite dirty when I finished, particularly the mitt. The amazing thing was how well things cleaned up and how quickly as well.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ILTomK
I used Optimum NRWS for the first time yesterday. I ran the car through a touch-less car wash first, primarily to get the salt off of the underside. Next time will just go to a spray it yourself place. Used a sheepskin mitt and two microfiber towels. Will try the garden spray technique first next time.

The NRWS worked just fine, car looks great. I also did a part of my wife's car. Her car had not been pre-washed. That part looks fine too. Ran out of time to do the rest.

One thing that impressed me that I haven't seen mentioned before. The cloths and the mitt were quite dirty when I finished, particularly the mitt. The amazing thing was how well things cleaned up and how quickly as well.
Another satisfied user!
Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 AM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
That's too bad

But cmon, only 2 times during the entire summer? My car would be covered in filth if I did that. It takes me less then an hour to do a quick wash. Might want to loosen up your schedule
Joerockt: This is a little late but it did not dawn on me that your response was directed at me. Anyways, yes I usually only need to wash (water, bucket of soap, rinse, etc.) a couple of times during the summer. It rarely rains in No. CA during the summer. I keep my car so clean that a wash is not warranted. Note, my TL is not my primary automobile during the week and it is parked in the garage. I will commute in the TL-S twice per week which is 80 miles/day.

The process I use does not create marring although it is not possible to completely eliminate it if you drive your car on a normal basis. For paint, my normal maintenance arsenal consists of a wood handle CA duster, quick detailer spray, and loads of MF cloths. I will dust daily if necessary and use the quick detailer as needed when the duster is no longer effective.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SweetJazz
Joerockt: This is a little late but it did not dawn on me that your response was directed at me. Anyways, yes I usually only need to wash (water, bucket of soap, rinse, etc.) a couple of times during the summer. It rarely rains in No. CA during the summer. I keep my car so clean that a wash is not warranted. Note, my TL is not my primary automobile during the week and it is parked in the garage. I will commute in the TL-S twice per week which is 80 miles/day.

The process I use does not create marring although it is not possible to completely eliminate it if you drive your car on a normal basis. For paint, my normal maintenance arsenal consists of a wood handle CA duster, quick detailer spray, and loads of MF cloths. I will dust daily if necessary and use the quick detailer as needed when the duster is no longer effective.
You'd be surprised to know that it rarely rains in SoCal as well

Yea, I would never use a duster as its just dragging dust and dirt over the paint. I'd rather spend the few extra minutes and use ONRWS once a week...But whatever works for you....
Old 02-03-2008, 08:47 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a question about the pretreat process, do you just spray the product with the appropriate ratio of water and that's it? Is there anything else involved?

I must say I am pretty much sold on this product, it'll save me time and as well as water too.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Eoanou
I have a question about the pretreat process, do you just spray the product with the appropriate ratio of water and that's it? Is there anything else involved?

I must say I am pretty much sold on this product, it'll save me time and as well as water too.
Follow the same ratio 1oz/1gal (if not more) of NRWS and water in the sprayer.......The theory behind this technique was derived after a rainstorm. I had noticed how the rains drop had presoftened the accumulated dust and debris, making for a safer, and easier removal at washtime. So I thought, "well why not mimick this with NRWS?"....The rest is history.......
NRWS:
  • Helps encapsulate dust and debris
  • Saves water
  • Contains actual chemical polymers which bond to the paint providing lubricity
  • 32 oz = approx 32 gallons of wash water
  • Saves time, no need for hoses, and a rinse cycle.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I can't believe how good this stuff works.

Trips me out.

I didn't understand how it worked until I saw that video.

Thanks Patrick.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Your certainly welcome. I imagine your order arrived?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:05 PM

Your certainly welcome. I imagine your order arrived?
Well...technically I'm not supposed to know since it is after all...my Xmas gift.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:12 PM

So...one final question and hopefully it isn't too stupid of a question.

You mix the ONRW with the right ration of water in the spritzer.

You just spray that to the vehicle then wipe off?

Or...how does the spritzer come into play?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by steve9207
Giff,

Check out this page from Pat (exceldetail.com) for NRWS techiniques.

Personally, I'll fill up the mister first and generously mist the entire car letting it soak in while I go fill up my bucket with the grit gaurd and then my other bucket with 2 gallons of water (2 ounces of Optimum NRWS). By the time I come back upstairs to the garage, I give each panel a quick spray before I wash it. Then, I proceed to wash just like I would via traditional methods. Dunk the washmit of choice into your NRWS / water solution and then wipe down the roof, working your way down to the hood, doors, etc. I generally wash the roof, then dry. Then, the hood / bumper, and dry. Then I'll wash the remainder of the car, drying each section after I wash it.
Disregard my dumbass previous post...

I was looking back over your thread Patrick and I'm looking for your page on NRWS techniques but the link is dead.

You still have this page around?

Didn't see it on your website either...maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by nf3d0149ab; 12-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:38 AM
Former Sponsor

I dont know WTH is going on with Acurazine, but it seems like every winter season when NRWS use peeks, all the previous threads get lost. I just tried searching and NOTHING is coming up (are you listening AZINE?!)
Let me look around some other sites I posted it on and see if I can come up with a link......I remember doing the same thing last year as well.....
Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Pro

I dont know WTH is going on with Acurazine, but it seems like every winter season when NRWS use peeks, all the previous threads get lost. I just tried searching and NOTHING is coming up (are you listening AZINE?!)
Let me look around some other sites I posted it on and see if I can come up with a link......I remember doing the same thing last year as well.....
Tell me about it, that's why I started Season 2 of NRWS...I couldn't find any of these posts from last year. And for some reason the search function wasn't working at all a few weeks back.

I was really trying to find the link on exceldetail.com showing the process with the sprayer for someone the other day...
Old 01-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I think this is what you were looking for??
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Pro

Pat - that's exactly what I was looking for - time to bookmark it I think. Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Racer

the 'pre-soak' can this be substituted with a simple hose/spray down with a water hose or is this pre-soak solution a MUST? from what ive read and seen, W O W....
Old 01-05-2009, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

The presoak with a hose is good. The presoak with the NRWS is even better. The NRWS adds lubricants BEFORE you physically touch the car.......But if you can rinse debris away with a hose before the NRWS, thats a step in the right direction.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
In my view, using a hose defeats the purpose of the product. The product is designed to be used where a hose is not easily accessible or there are water restrictions. I've now used the product 5 times and I've found that spraying first and then wiping with an MF soaked with NRWS and water does an excellent job. In fact, i have to wonder why a traditional wash outside with a hose should ever be done. This product is that good and the results are as good or better than when I wash outside with a hose using Megs gold. I might just continue this process year round unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
The Detailer

Well, a traditional wash can be fun if you have a foam gun or foam cannon. That's mainly the reason why I still like traditional 2BM washes.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Denzil
Well, a traditional wash can be fun if you have a foam gun or foam cannon.
I love foam cannons!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 PM

rlerman

While I don't know a lot about detailing or the NRWS...

I would imagine that you need to wash your car with water at some point...I don't know.

Sounds weird that you could use this all year long and not run any risk...but maybe you can.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM

And from what I understand...what also matters is how dirty your car gets.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rlerman
In my view, using a hose defeats the purpose of the product. The product is designed to be used where a hose is not easily accessible or there are water restrictions. I've now used the product 5 times and I've found that spraying first and then wiping with an MF soaked with NRWS and water does an excellent job. In fact, i have to wonder why a traditional wash outside with a hose should ever be done. This product is that good and the results are as good or better than when I wash outside with a hose using Megs gold. I might just continue this process year round unless someone can convince me otherwise.
You are absolutely right! And your method is certainly approved by myself at a minimum.
NRWS does have limitations, and a pressure wash with a nozzle and hose is certainly appropriate if the limits of NRWS have been exceeded. But........a pre rinse is usually adequate under most conditions, and it can be used all year long, in place of traditional methods. But the conditions have to present themselves as such! Its just like any other detailing product, it has its limits, and user error is possible!