Optimum Compound on PC

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optimum Compound on PC

Just wondering what speed people have used on the PC for Optimum Compound. It says on the bottle to use 1500rpm (1.5 on the dial?). I did that yesterday and while it did a decent job, there were still some swirls and other defects I couldn't get out.

Note, I was using a white pad (polishing) to apply the compound. I'm thinking maybe I need to move to a more aggeressive pad (orange cutting pad) for some of the more stubborn areas or crank up the rpm's on the PC. (i.e. my spoiler and rear deck which seemed to be really roughed up as well as the passenger front door that looks like it's been scrubbed with steel wool )

I just wanted a general guide on what everyone else has used for the Optimum Compound, since 1500rpm seemed to be really low.

BTW, the car is Nighthawk Black.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1.5 doesn't equal 1500 RPM

I usually use 6 for compounds and about 5 lbs of pressure to the head of the pad. OC and orange pad is a great combo.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mach30SiR
1.5 doesn't equal 1500 RPM

I usually use 6 for compounds and about 5 lbs of pressure to the head of the pad. OC and orange pad is a great combo.
hehe...good point. Was trying to figure out how one would determine the rpm. I figured that the number on the dial would roughly equal the rpm.

I guess I'll just wait until the end of the year and try it again. I'm still recovering from yesterday's job.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:42 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,830 Likes on 4,281 Posts
Originally Posted by syee99
Just wondering what speed people have used on the PC for Optimum Compound. It says on the bottle to use 1500rpm (1.5 on the dial?). I did that yesterday and while it did a decent job, there were still some swirls and other defects I couldn't get out.

Note, I was using a white pad (polishing) to apply the compound. I'm thinking maybe I need to move to a more aggeressive pad (orange cutting pad) for some of the more stubborn areas or crank up the rpm's on the PC. (i.e. my spoiler and rear deck which seemed to be really roughed up as well as the passenger front door that looks like it's been scrubbed with steel wool )

I just wanted a general guide on what everyone else has used for the Optimum Compound, since 1500rpm seemed to be really low.

BTW, the car is Nighthawk Black.
I just did my NBP yesterday. I polished at 6 on the dial with an orange pad, and i just happened to be using Poor Boys #2. The car came out great, but I think the key is enough down pressure on the pad and move it slowly to allow the polish to work and really break down.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed ratings for rotaries in RPM and OPM (orbits per minute) for a dual action buffer. A 5-6 speed setting, usually for surface defects and paint correction allows the PC to breakdown the abrasives contained in polishes. Lower settings (3-4) can be used for applying a sealant or chemical cleaner as well as product removal. A 2-3 setting with a MF bonnett can be used for a final buff.

I try not use any more than 5-7 pounds of pressure on troublesome areas and I've never had the PC bog on me. I usually let the weight of the PC do the work, but in some cases you'll need to exert a little pressure. Put your machine on a scale and apply downward pressure till you get to the 5 pound range to get an idea of how much pressure needs to be applied. It's not all that much.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
Speed ratings for rotaries in RPM and OPM (orbits per minute) for a dual action buffer. A 5-6 speed setting, usually for surface defects and paint correction allows the PC to breakdown the abrasives contained in polishes. Lower settings (3-4) can be used for applying a sealant or chemical cleaner as well as product removal. A 2-3 setting with a MF bonnett can be used for a final buff.

I try not use any more than 5-7 pounds of pressure on troublesome areas and I've never had the PC bog on me. I usually let the weight of the PC do the work, but in some cases you'll need to exert a little pressure. Put your machine on a scale and apply downward pressure till you get to the 5 pound range to get an idea of how much pressure needs to be applied. It's not all that much.
Thanks for the info Hawhyen51 - that's exactly what I'm looking for. So with my Optimum Compound and Megs #9, I should keep it at 5-6 on the PC, and then 3-4 for the wax?

I guess that makes sense. I had it on 1.5 for the OC, and 4 for the #9. While it helped a little bit, it didn't exactly turn out the way I was expecting. I'll keep that in mind for next time.