Opinions on this type of auto car wash?

Old 01-16-2005, 12:07 PM
CEO of IMHO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on this type of auto car wash?

I know everyone who loves cars hates car washes.

I just took ownership of my first black car (NBP/EBONY TSX 6MT/NAVI), and of course I am concerned about swirls, chips, and all of the horrors I was warned about before I decided to go "black."

My prior car (that I still need to sell) was a dark red/burgundy Integra, and I put it through my local "lammscloth" carwash chain probably 60 times over the past 5 years. Overall, I have been happy with the results. But, it wasn't a black car.

Here's the 411 on this auto car wash:

http://www.gasnwash.com/carwashing.html

Any opinions on this specific type of car wash? Is it different than other car washes? Is it reasonably safe for a black car? Please, no knee-jerk anti-carwash responses. I would appreciate informed, reasonable opinions.

Are there any local Delaware Valley visitors who can comment on this chain and its suitability for black cars?

I don't want chips, swirls, and things like that. But I do want to keep it looking clean as much as possible.

Any info/insight appreciated!

Thanks,
Jon
Old 01-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I know everyone who loves cars hates car washes.
Not true. I love car washes.

Either way, with a black car, you will have issues, no matter what. Its black. It ll spider web, and theres just nothing you can do about it. My advice, for a black car, is to not even run it thru a wash, just do a handwash. I've had customers who have ran their black cars thru almost every day, and it does show problems after extended use like that.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Your reply is correct, but you didnt mention proper washing methods ! Sheepskin is great, if its clean. Im sure they wash your car with the same product they washe dthe previous car!? Why not, there into production here, a buck is a buck, and truthfully they really dont give a rats a** about your finish like you do, or appear to. Do yourself and your Acura a favor, wash it yourself, invest in $25.00 worth of quality products, have peace of mind, and a spectacular finish for yrs to come.....I would recommend a Pure Australian sheepskin washmitt, 3-5 gl bucket, some car soap, and a waffle weave drying towel.....Thats what, about 3-4 washes at the local "Rip and strip"?
check here....
Old 01-16-2005, 08:12 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

I hand wash my black tsx every 2-3 weeks and then use the quarter carwash inbetween carwashes when needed. I just wash and finish w/ spot-free rinse and then dont dry it (if you don't touch the car, you cant get swirls). I have to drive down the freeway for about 5 mins to get home, and aslong as my car is recently waxed, things look great. The spot-free does a great job when you don't have the time for a lengthy handwash.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Comptech Freak

i always go to touchless machines, they give 90% clean in 2 min without freezing

now they even got a machine that is without a rail, which is gd for those lowered cars who cannot past thru the rail
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSXsurf
I hand wash my black tsx every 2-3 weeks and then use the quarter carwash inbetween carwashes when needed. I just wash and finish w/ spot-free rinse and then dont dry it (if you don't touch the car, you cant get swirls). I have to drive down the freeway for about 5 mins to get home, and aslong as my car is recently waxed, things look great. The spot-free does a great job when you don't have the time for a lengthy handwash.
How do you not dry your car after washing it without getting water spots?
In the summers in Florida I use distilled water to prevent water spots from drying on my car. I simply spray it on with a bottle - mix it with some soap, scrub and rinse with some more distilled water. Definitely probably leaves some suds on the car, but well worth not having water spots. The key is to use soaps that don't strip the wax to any significant degree.
by the way i have black, and have not had any problems keeping it clean for the year i have had it- although i wipe it down almost daily.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Your reply is correct, but you didnt mention proper washing methods ! Sheepskin is great, if its clean. Im sure they wash your car with the same product they washe dthe previous car!? Why not, there into production here, a buck is a buck, and truthfully they really dont give a rats a** about your finish like you do, or appear to. Do yourself and your Acura a favor, wash it yourself, invest in $25.00 worth of quality products, have peace of mind, and a spectacular finish for yrs to come.....I would recommend a Pure Australian sheepskin washmitt, 3-5 gl bucket, some car soap, and a waffle weave drying towel.....Thats what, about 3-4 washes at the local "Rip and strip"?
check here....

You cannot generalize that a car wash doesnt care about its customers cars finish. If they didnt, and just turned out cars based on production, they would never have any repeat business. And as for using the same product, how can you know they use the same mitt and bucket? We've always changed our buckets and got a new or washed mitt for every car. So you really cant say no one gives a rats ass. Customers will keep returning to a location if their car is treated properly. Its not a production line.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Katana18
You cannot generalize that a car wash doesnt care about its customers cars finish. If they didnt, and just turned out cars based on production, they would never have any repeat business. And as for using the same product, how can you know they use the same mitt and bucket? We've always changed our buckets and got a new or washed mitt for every car. So you really cant say no one gives a rats ass. Customers will keep returning to a location if their car is treated properly. Its not a production line.
Well your obviously not the majority then are you, maybe your the exception to the rule.... By large, I will stick with my generalization MOST CAR WASH FACILTIES DOT GIVE A RATS A**! Further more, most people dont have clue what is proper, when washing their car. I seriously doubt if they know of angles to look at for induced marring caused by "rag" drying....What does your company use to dry towels ? And your going to tell me that with every car, you change to a newly washed, rinsed sheepskin mitt ?
Old 01-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Banned

Well your obviously not the majority then are you, maybe your the exception to the rule.... By large, I will stick with my generalization MOST CAR WASH FACILTIES DOT GIVE A RATS A**! Further more, most people dont have clue what is proper, when washing their car. I seriously doubt if they know of angles to look at for induced marring caused by "rag" drying....What does your company use to dry towels ? And your going to tell me that with every car, you change to a newly washed, rinsed sheepskin mitt ?

Well then, tell us how you really feel. Do all black people steal too? Well, when a car is ran thru the tunnel, it gets air dried, and then any drips are caught by clean towels. Clean, by meaning, you can only use that towel for one car, then it goes back to the washing machine.

As for cars that are washed by hand, we get a new or washed mitt, every time, and get a new bucket of soap so no dirt gets on the new vehicle.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:36 PM
CEO of IMHO

So far, it looks like nobody has any experience with this specific type of carwash? If this is the case, then is it possible that this "lammscloth" thing is soft enough not to create swirls?
Old 01-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Well then, tell us how you really feel. Do all black people steal too? Well, when a car is ran thru the tunnel, it gets air dried, and then any drips are caught by clean towels. Clean, by meaning, you can only use that towel for one car, then it goes back to the washing machine.

As for cars that are washed by hand, we get a new or washed mitt, every time, and get a new bucket of soap so no dirt gets on the new vehicle.
So now im a racist ? Gimee a break will ya ? OK, OK, your facility is the exception to the rule......Now answer my question, what does your facility use to dry with ?
Old 01-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Banned

So now im a racist ? Gimee a break will ya ? OK, OK, your facility is the exception to the rule......Now answer my question, what does your facility use to dry with ?

I never called you a racist. I was just making a generalization, like you were. Its easy to look at one thing and say to yourself, "Hmm, if ones like that....all of them must be" . Like I said, we use blowers to dry the car, then towels to catch any drips. I dont know the exact 'makeup' of the towels. They're not microfiber or anything, but are safe for car finishes, we've never had any problems. Besides, you cant use microfiber to dry a car, but you already knew that.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Besides, you cant use microfiber to dry a car, but you already knew that.
Huh? Since when? I've been using MF towels since day one with my TSX. Works perfect and better then any regular cotton towel out there.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joerockt
Huh? Since when? I've been using MF towels since day one with my TSX. Works perfect and better then any regular cotton towel out there.

Microfiber is better suited for taking off wax. I mean, you CAN use it to dry off a car, and if it works for you, thats great. I've just always used them for wax and polishing.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Racer

I have a confession to make. Today, for the first time, I took my baby to a car wash... and I liked it.

I have been extremely careful with my TSX ever since I got it. I had washed it at least once a weak, and always scoffed at those that entered the automatic car wash next door (I have to wash my car in a self-service bay). I fear my judgement was incorrect.

Since my TSX was covered with road salt and it was still pretty cold out, I decided to do the unthinkable and use the touchless car wash. Let me tell you, I was EXTREMELY impressed. The machine was so simple... just a set of nozzles that circles the body of the car about a half a dozen times or so. At any rate, within 5 minutes, my baby was sparkling clean, albeit a little wet.

Of course, I don't plan on replacing my hand washing with the touchless wash anytime soon. However, during the winter months when it is much to cold to hand wash and cars get plastered with road grime and salt, it is amazing. If you can find a good touchless wash, go for it! I wish I would have been more apt to try one earlier.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Microfiber is better suited for taking off wax. I mean, you CAN use it to dry off a car, and if it works for you, thats great. I've just always used them for wax and polishing.
Well I use it for that as well in the form of MF bonnets on the random orbital. But why would you not use MF towels over anything else to dry your car off with? Not only are they very soft, but they absorb a lot more water then any cotton towel.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joerockt
Well I use it for that as well in the form of MF bonnets on the random orbital. But why would you not use MF towels over anything else to dry your car off with? Not only are they very soft, but they absorb a lot more water then any cotton towel.

I prefer the California Water Blade. Cuts drying time by 75%. Then I take my air compressor and blow out any water in the cracks. Only downside is, the car has to be perfectly clean, as does the water blade. But I dont have a problem with it, since I'm probably the best car care guy that I know of. :wink:
Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Katana, have you ever tried a quality waffle weave MF to dry with? If you havent yet tried one I think you'd be pleasntly surprised. Not all MF towels are created equal. I have over 300 and in about 16 different catagories. Some are made just for buffing, some just for leather, some just for glass and so on.

By the way, where is your shop? I live pretty close to you.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:30 AM
No-navi, yo

Besides taking off wax, Microfiber is THE fabric to dry off car with after washing. This topic has already been discussed many times. You can do a search.

As long as you make sure there is no dust or fine particles in the clothes or on the car surface, there won't be swirl marks after you finished. But I guess a blower would do the trick too.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TSXtc

By the way, where is your shop? I live pretty close to you.
Well, I used to run the wash over in Lake Mary, right by I-4. But now I'm at a new place, on Lake Mary Blvd and 17-92.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Just dial 1911

I prefer the California Water Blade. Cuts drying time by 75%. Then I take my air compressor and blow out any water in the cracks. Only downside is, the car has to be perfectly clean, as does the water blade. But I dont have a problem with it, since I'm probably the best car care guy that I know of. :wink:
I used the CWB for about 2 washes before I discovered MF towels. Hated that thing. All I do now is use the hose without the nozzle and let the water just sheet off. I also stoped using the compressed air cause that took forever. I just drive the car around the block at high speed, come back, use Z6 and dry the rest of the car off with the MF towel.

I cant see how you can fully dry your car with the blade, but if you have a method down, then congrats.

Edit: BTW, here is the towel I use for drying: Cobra Waffle-Weave
Old 01-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Well, I used to run the wash over in Lake Mary, right by I-4. But now I'm at a new place, on Lake Mary Blvd and 17-92.

i think i know right where you are. i grew up in lake mary. you're right by the mcdonalds and the truck cap place, right? and the old place by i4 right next to longhorn??

i'll have to stop in and say hi one of these days.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TSXtc
i think i know right where you are. i grew up in lake mary. you're right by the mcdonalds and the truck cap place, right? and the old place by i4 right next to longhorn??

i'll have to stop in and say hi one of these days.

You're thinking of Tropical Corners. My new place is called All-Stars. Its right across from SCC on Lake Mary Blvd, next to a Sunoco gas station. And you're right about my old place, it was right next to Longhorn. Worked there for 3 years before me and the GM decided we couldnt get along and split ways.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
Instructor

You're thinking of Tropical Corners. My new place is called All-Stars. Its right across from SCC on Lake Mary Blvd, next to a Sunoco gas station. And you're right about my old place, it was right next to Longhorn. Worked there for 3 years before me and the GM decided we couldnt get along and split ways.

ok, right by the old tennis courts correct?