NXT smears on my NBP TL

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NXT smears on my NBP TL

I've got a NBP TL and NXT smears badly on my car. I've done the car twice now, thinking it was maybe a quirk the first time - maybe I applied too much. I tried again, using much less NXT, and the smears appear again. The smears look like greasy/oily stains, and are really really difficult to remove. Other than the smearing, I'd really like this product. The smoothness/slickness of the paint after application is amazing. OK swirl hiding as well. BUt the smearing is pretty hard to ignore. I wrote Meguiar's and they said to swipe the car using a damp, warm towel immediately followed by a dry towel. Tried this, no good. Yes, it did change the appearance of the smear, but did not completely remove. So I'm not happy with it, I'm going to try to return it.

Has anyone else experienced this greasy smear appearance?

FWIW, I clayed the car prior to application. And I've decided to try Zaino ZFX, Z-2/Z-5/Z-6 - it's on order and should be here pretty soon.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used NXT and did not have any problems with smearing. One question, you mentioned claying. Did you use a pre-wax cleaner or polish before applying NXT? After claying, I usually use a polish/pre-wax to clean the surface of any residual debris before applying the final coat of wax. Just a thought.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I sometimes get smearing on my NBP CL. It is usually because surface temp of the car is too hot, its too humid, or the NXT wasn't left to cure long enough. Try using some quick detailer when you have trouble with smearing, it will help clear it up.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get smearing if it is humid. Use quick detailer, or just put an extra layer of carnauba on top to help even it out.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since youve ordered Zaino, its a rather mute point anyway, no ?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I didn't use a cleaner or polish after claying the 1st application and for the second application a couple of weeks later, I just washed and then applied the NXT - the paint was still very smooth. I tried quick detailing but it didn't help very much.

exceldetail, I was trying to gauge whether this was a wide spread issue with NXT and dark cars (specifically acura NBP paint) or if it was just a unique experience - possibly I got a bottle from a bad batch or something I was doing/not doing causing the smearing.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've noticed that microfiber towels remove wax very cleanly and leave no smears. What kind of towels did you use?

By the way, I think you'll be very happy with Zaino. I have a NPB TL too and it makes it look awesome!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you use too much? NXT should be applied in small amounts. Its easy to overuse.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:59 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Yakuza70
I've noticed that microfiber towels remove wax very cleanly and leave no smears. What kind of towels did you use?

By the way, I think you'll be very happy with Zaino. I have a NPB TL too and it makes it look awesome!
I used the Meguiar's Gold class microfiber towels to remove.

Originally Posted by VTEC11
Did you use too much? NXT should be applied in small amounts. Its easy to overuse.
Well, I thought I may have the 1st time around but on the 2nd application I deliberately used as little as possible but came up with the same smearing.

I guess I could have gotten a bad bottle, or possibly some kind of compatibility problem with the soap I'm using to wash the car.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Saran
...I guess I could have gotten a bad bottle, or possibly some kind of compatibility problem with the soap I'm using to wash the car.
Soap?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:30 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Xpditor
Soap?
I meant car wash.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Smile A good hair day.

I Zainoed my TL yesterday and left the Z5 on overnight for a good "cure". This morning, it was kind of hard to get off and streaky. I used the new Z8 spray gloss enhancer to get rid of the streaks. That took 90% of them away but I was not totally happy under the unforgiving garage lights.

I got out my Porter-Cable (PC) random orbital polisher, and used a grey finishing pad that is only used for Zaino. (I have another one for waxes). About two minutes with the PC and all streaking was gone. A perfect, deep, finish.

Being compulsive (!), I then put a small microfiber polishing cloth under the pad on the PC and went over it again. I've never seen it look better. I'll try for some pics today- before it rains.

Also, the MF polishing cloth took out all the white residue that had collected in the edge of my clear bra- making it truly "invisible" again.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:38 PM
10th Gear

I Zainoed my TL yesterday and left the Z5 on overnight for a good "cure". This morning, it was kind of hard to get off and streaky. I used the new Z8 spray gloss enhancer to get rid of the streaks. That took 90% of them away but I was not totally happy under the unforgiving garage lights.

I got out my Porter-Cable (PC) random orbital polisher, and used a grey finishing pad that is only used for Zaino. (I have another one for waxes). About two minutes with the PC and all streaking was gone. A perfect, deep, finish.

Being compulsive (!), I then put a small microfiber polishing cloth under the pad on the PC and went over it again. I've never seen it look better. I'll try for some pics today- before it rains.

Also, the MF polishing cloth took out all the white residue that had collected in the edge of my clear bra- making it truly "invisible" again.
I read your post earlier - thanks for reminding me to take pictures! I Zainoed my car today for the first time. I took some before/after pics and I will post as soon as I figure out how.

All in all, I'm impressed by the Zaino - The shine is great, slickness is ok (I think the NXT was slicker) but I'm not too concerned about that. Spiderwebbing/small scratches have been greatly reduced - BUT - I'm not totally sure how much "hiding" Z-5 did vs. "removal" using the Meguiars swirl remover polish during the paint preparation. If I look really close, I can see the very minute scratches, but it's much improved. Unfortunately it's a little overcast out today, so we'll see how it looks under full sun tomorrow or the next day. But from what I can tell, the NBP with zaino looks great, deep and solid.

Application: pretty easy. Removal: more difficult than I would have imagined. There were some spots which were really tough to lift zaino residue off the paint. Especially after the 2nd coat. Eventually I came back around and used the Z-6 spray - the zaino residue came off a lot easier with Z-6's help.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Previously Promissed Pics

Nice day in Florida today. Thought I would take a picture before I drove it and got it dirty.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason it was streaky and hard to remove is not due to the long cure time, but due to using too much Z5. The less you use, the better the result. It should be applied so fine that you can barely see the haze. To make it go farther, I usually dampen the applicator w/ some Z6 gloss enhancer. I can easily apply more than 2 coats w/ just 1 oz. When you have it applied this thin, it comes off fairly easily by hand w/ a microfiber towel. The results have been every bit as good as when I used heavier coats.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Indeed

I do the whole car and the wheels with less than an once. I DO use more Z5 than I do Z2. The Z5 has some filler in it and it takes slightly more. I think it's carnauba wax filler but I'm not certain.

But, if I leave a visible coating like ordinary wax would do, it's a bitch to get off.

In this case: less is more.

I also have the new Z-8 which was described to me by Sal Zaino as "Z-6 on steroids". It works good.

I have the new PC swirl remover product from Zaino and will be trying it today on a small blemish that I stupidly put on the clear bra yesterday while trying to "fix" another blemish.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 PM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xpditor
nice day in florida today. Thought i would take a picture before i drove it and got it dirty.

now that is a shine....
Old 08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Intermediate

I too noticed smearing after my application. Blotches in points that I initially mistook for fingerprint smears.

I just bought a NBP TL last week, but I wanted to experiment on my 03 Tacoma before messing with my TL. I washed, clayed, used Megauir's polish, and followed up with NXT using MF towels on all steps. I suspect that I too put on too much NXT, but like most men we think more is better. I guess I had better get past that and use less next time.

Based on another post my plan is to wash, probably no clay since it is a week old, use Klasse AIO, Klasse SG (possibly 2 coats), and end up with applying S100 carnuba wax.

This post hasn't been the first one to be unhappy with NXT. But damn, my bright red Tacoma did look shiny with its new wax job and chrome wheels .............. ! I too will try to use a spray detailing wax to see if it takes out the blotches.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Instructor

go ahead and clay it... almost all cars are shipped via rail at some point, and you get rail dust on the cars, then onto a truck, brake dust and diesel exhust. Plus you will remove any crap that may have gotten on the car at the dealership. Its not going to hurt it only help it in the long run, so why not use it and start it down the right path??
Old 08-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb I think it's clear...

Yeah. Claying is fun, quick, and easy. Kind of goof-proof, too, if you keep it lubed.

I clayed my TL the first day I had it: 10 days after it was made and painted. I got quite a bit of rail dust and overspray off it.

It's a good feeling when you are done. It's like the morning after your wedding night to a virgin. You're intimate with every square inch and you know you're the only one who is.

By the way, here is a picture of my hood after Zaino a couple days ago. On the back half (right side of pic) is the bare paint after Zaino Z-5 and Z-8.

The front (left) is covered by a clear bra. This is a rare picture that actually shows you what the clear bra looks like. It is usually invisible unless the light is just right - like here. From dead on or the side, and from three feet away, you can't see it or the line. But, this bra material, 3M, has some "orange peel" and you can "clearly" see the difference looking down from on top.

15 months old and not ONE chip anywhere.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Damn Xpditor... that is a size DD bra you have on there.... how many inches up the hood did you take it, mine is only up like 12 or 18.... that looks like 24 or more.... but hey, its doing its job, No chips is the objective
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Senior Moderator

24" is exactly correct! In the center. It's the standard cut for X-Pel/3M pattern.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Wink

Hardrock / Xpiditor, thanks for the clay info. ...........

I am a firm believer in claying, but didn't realize just how much debris can possibly get onto a new car. That clay stuck like a mother to my hand, but upon feeling the effects on my hood and rest of my truck when I did it last weekend, I was both impressed and sold .............

I too got a clear bra put on mine (Invisible Shield). I am hoping the little bubbles get worked out after a week. They told me not to wash it for one week, so I have been patiently waiting !!
Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jhawk5
Hardrock / Xpiditor, thanks for the clay info. ...........

I am a firm believer in claying, but didn't realize just how much debris can possibly get onto a new car. That clay stuck like a mother to my hand, but upon feeling the effects on my hood and rest of my truck when I did it last weekend, I was both impressed and sold .............

I too got a clear bra put on mine (Invisible Shield). I am hoping the little bubbles get worked out after a week. They told me not to wash it for one week, so I have been patiently waiting !!
You have to keep the clay lubricated/wet and it won't stick. You can either use the lube that sometimes comes with it in a kit (pricey) or you can make your own with distilled water and a dab of car wash in a spray bottle.