New TL, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New TL, need some help

Just got a NBP TL and it was waxed by the dealer. It is dirty now and I want to know how I should proceed on cleaning it. Should I strip the wax, wash it and then reapply wax? Should I just wash it and then wax it again? I would really like to get it to shine.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Wash it .. clay bar it then wax / sealant of choise.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of products do you have at hand?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by exceldetail
What kind of products do you have at hand?
a hose, and a bucket.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Get a sheepskin mitt and a couple Waffle Weave Drying towels so you don't mar the paint washing it.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I also have a NBP TL. Nothing looks better than polished and waxed/sealed NBP paint. However, black shows everything - dirt, scratches, swirls etc. I seriously doubt the dealer polished your paint so there are probably lots of swirls, especially if you look at your paint in sunlight.

You're going to have to polish your paint to get most of the imperfections out. You can do one of two things: get a good detailer to do it or invest in the right equipment and do it yourself. If you just clay and then wax/seal without polishing first then you'll just have really shiny swirls.

I'm sure Exceldetail can steer you in the right direction regarding the correct equipment and products. I consider him the "Yoda" of the Acura detailing forum here.

Oh and congrats on the '07 Type-S!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Instructor

sheepskin mitt
Waffle Weave Drying towels

Check!

Will cheap stuff from walmart/autozone be ok to use until I can order some good stuff?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars until u can afford the good stuff... but seriously send a message to Excel Detail as he is one of the few I have encountered that gives solid advice (even if it means you don't order something form him today - his honesty and willingness to help others comes first - and that berhavior has made me a customer of his for life...)

Welcome to the forums and good luck!
Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maknwar
a hose, and a bucket.
Eeeeeeeeks! Thats quite the bare minimum eh? Grab some No Rinse Wash and Shine, eventually. Its reformulated, and we have it available as well.
Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Get a sheepskin mitt and a couple Waffle Weave Drying towels so you don't mar the paint washing it.
And make that a natural sheepskin washmit.....None of this synthetic *%@* !!
Originally Posted by Yakuza17
I'm sure Exceldetail can steer you in the right direction regarding the correct equipment and products. I consider him the "Yoda" of the Acura detailing forum here.
Thanks Sean! I get a little help from cool peep's in here too!
Originally Posted by maknwar
sheepskin mitt
Waffle Weave Drying towels

Check!

Will cheap stuff from walmart/autozone be ok to use until I can order some good stuff?
It will be "ok".....Add a quick detailer to the list as well. I'd recommend a good quality wash soap, sheepskin (2), use the two bucket method, large WW drying towel (only use enough pressure to manipulate the towels direction, and keep pressure of of edges. Leading edges tend to grab and hold the loose debris (if any) and you certainly dont want to push that down. A quick detailer for between washes, and a spray wax once monthly to maintain your base protection. And, of course a base protectant.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Sweet, I might just hose off the dirt until I can order some quality stuff. Thanks everyone.