New Car Care suggestions/advice.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post. Thankss.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
You're really fighting a fire without water......
I take my cars to the carwash. I have a new (to me) RDX. I want to keep it beautiful and undamaged
As for asking the car wash minimum wage guys and gals to use quality products, its not going to happen. These guys and gals turn and burn cars, thats their job. Get em in, get em out.
Your best bet is to arm YOURSELF with the proper paint upkeep items and do it yourself.......
Old 07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Instructor

I'm sure you're right, that the car wash people aren't going to do the best job. However, I'm not going to do it myself. I have limitations.

Nevertheless, I want to keep my car in good shape. That's why I ask what I should ask for from a detailer. And, what kind of car washes can I use -- brushless is nearby, as are brush car washes. These are the automatic kind that basically rinse off the car (I am a couple of blocks from the water and there's constant sand inside and out, plus the joy of Great Blue Herons flying and baptising from overhead).

So, I encourage input about detailers in general, as well as detailers in St Petersburg area; what kinds of car washes won't exacerbate damage, what waxes I should tell people to use, etc.

My previous Passat and Saabs looked great and had wonderful finishes that didn't have to be handled with kid gloves, so this is new for me.

Thanks for taking the time with me.

PB

Originally Posted by exceldetail
You're really fighting a fire without water......
As for asking the car wash minimum wage guys and gals to use quality products, its not going to happen. These guys and gals turn and burn cars, thats their job. Get em in, get em out.
Your best bet is to arm YOURSELF with the proper paint upkeep items and do it yourself.......
Old 07-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

If it's simply not possible for you to maintain the appearance, use a touchless wash. You might even go as far as providing Waffle Weave drying towels to those selected to dry your vehicle. When selecting a detailer, ask his routine. Is he using hi speed rotary (Ok in qualified hands), orbital, references, and product line. Does he/she have a helper? Do they use microfibers, glazes, waxes, sealants? The list can go on........
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Question: You suggested that I seal and then wax afterwards. I used this Pinnacle wax a friend gave me before he left the country and he was telling me how great it was. I used it on my older Accord and I could tell how the carnauba oils brought out a deep shine to the older paint. Everyone was noticing and complimenting the car out of nowhere after years - quite surprising.

I have UPGP and plan on using that because I believe the synthetic will give me longer protection (through the winter in Cali) than the Pinnacle. Am I mistaken? I can't imagine the paint would be getting all or some of the carnauba benefits after a synthetic sealant.

I was thinking to simply use the carnauba once and the sealant another since I plan on doing this every 6 months or every year when I get lazy. I appreciate any advice.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:19 PM
8th Gear

Great detailed post!!! I will take all notes in mind!!!
Thanks a bunch!!
Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AcuraElement
Question: You suggested that I seal and then wax afterwards. I used this Pinnacle wax a friend gave me before he left the country and he was telling me how great it was. I used it on my older Accord and I could tell how the carnauba oils brought out a deep shine to the older paint. Everyone was noticing and complimenting the car out of nowhere after years - quite surprising.

I have UPGP and plan on using that because I believe the synthetic will give me longer protection (through the winter in Cali) than the Pinnacle. Am I mistaken? I can't imagine the paint would be getting all or some of the carnauba benefits after a synthetic sealant.

I was thinking to simply use the carnauba once and the sealant another since I plan on doing this every 6 months or every year when I get lazy. I appreciate any advice.
There is no right or wrong combination with sealants and Nubas. The preferred method is the Nuba after the sealant. Whats important is use SOMETHING, and use if with frequency. Ive always been of the belief that sealants look every bit as good as Nubas, and thats why I use strictly sealants or hybrids.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 PM
2nd Gear

i used "black box by turtle wax and it did wonders looks like a brand new car !
Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
As for washing, what is your opinion on the old Mr Clean AutoDry carwash system?
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Harper
As for washing, what is your opinion on the old Mr Clean AutoDry carwash system?
You will find that its more of a rinse system .. your still going to have to wash ... and the filters for it are short lived & expensive.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

I used it when it first came out and was kind of impressed......until a few washes later I noticed all my slickness (protection) had disappeared. I have no idea what the latest models present to the user.....
Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 PM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
Hi! I need some advice.... I'm getting my car detailed tomorrow: wash, clay, compound, polish, wax, the works! What do I do from here on out? I'm know the first thing I'm going to do is never take my car to a car wash AGAIN! I've learned my lesson .....So, I want to keep the swirl marks away and keep that freshly detailed look on my car. What do I do?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Very good read. Anyone who owns a Acura should take pride in their ride ......
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 PM
10th Gear

Any thought on zanos i have a black 2010 TSX
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
10th Gear

great read i feel like im going to live on this thread...also...my car is not gagrage (horrible i know) but i do have a car cover...but...what do i need to look for in a good quality car cover...and what else can i do to help protect my car?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Cruisin'

Not sure if this is in the right spot, tried to make a new thread but not allowed to yet...

have any so cal people attended Meguiar's free thursday night open garage? or a saturday class? I'm going to check it out soon, just wanted to see if anybody has been already?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jay714
great read i feel like im going to live on this thread...also...my car is not gagrage (horrible i know) but i do have a car cover...but...what do i need to look for in a good quality car cover...and what else can i do to help protect my car?
I highly recommend car covers by California car covers (). I bought a Noah and added a 3" skirt to the bottom to ensure I got full coverage of my lip kit and wheels. I'd call them if you plan on making your cover more custom like I did.

Truthfully though, garaging your car should be the #1 thing in overall car care. Not all of us have time to set aside each day to touch up their car.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Cruisin'

New 2012 Acura TL

Just bought a new 2012 Acura TL Advance. The exterior paint is black (crystal black pear is what acura calls it), and the interior is black leather. It is a beautiful car. I had a few questions if you/or anyone wouldn't mind answering. I also had the dealership apply what they call "Glass Coat" made by Simoniz. It comes with a written warranty that covers just about everything for 7 years. Any opinions on that?

Also, in simple terms, can you recommend the products I need to keep it clean, shiny, etc... I want to do what I can to keep/clean bugs, normal weather wear, brake dust, wheels cleaned, brake dust cleaning or protection, tire cleaning, interior dash, screen display (plastic overlay I believe).. Sounds like a lot, but just basically keep it clean.

I'm wondering if any of the products would strip the glass coat i just had applied. I do keep my car in a garage, although it is old style (open front end). I don't mind washing, cleaning, protecting my car once every week or two. Thanks for answers. If you/or someone could just recommend what to get and how to use, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

CKay
Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Cruisin'

New 2012 Acura TL

Just bought a new 2012 Acura TL Advance. The exterior paint is black (crystal black pear is what acura calls it), and the interior is black leather. It is a beautiful car. I had a few questions if you/or anyone wouldn't mind answering. I also had the dealership apply what they call "Glass Coat" made by Simoniz. It comes with a written warranty that covers just about everything for 7 years. Any opinions on that?

Also, in simple terms, can you recommend the products I need to keep it clean, shiny, etc... I want to do what I can to keep/clean bugs, normal weather wear, brake dust, wheels cleaned, brake dust cleaning or protection, tire cleaning, interior dash, screen display (plastic overlay I believe).. Sounds like a lot, but just basically keep it clean.

I'm wondering if any of the products would strip the glass coat i just had applied. I do keep my car in a garage, although it is old style (open front end). I don't mind washing, cleaning, protecting my car once every week or two. Thanks for answers. If you/or someone could just recommend what to get and how to use, I would appreciate it. Thanks. You can reply to my email as well: peachpup47@gmail.com

ckay
Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ckay
Just bought a new 2012 Acura TL Advance. The exterior paint is black (crystal black pear is what acura calls it), and the interior is black leather. It is a beautiful car. I had a few questions if you/or anyone wouldn't mind answering. I also had the dealership apply what they call "Glass Coat" made by Simoniz. It comes with a written warranty that covers just about everything for 7 years. Any opinions on that?Also, in simple terms, can you recommend the products I need to keep it clean, shiny, etc... I want to do what I can to keep/clean bugs, normal weather wear, brake dust, wheels cleaned, brake dust cleaning or protection, tire cleaning, interior dash, screen display (plastic overlay I believe).. Sounds like a lot, but just basically keep it clean.

I'm wondering if any of the products would strip the glass coat i just had applied. I do keep my car in a garage, although it is old style (open front end). I don't mind washing, cleaning, protecting my car once every week or two. Thanks for answers. If you/or someone could just recommend what to get and how to use, I would appreciate it. Thanks. You can reply to my email as well: peachpup47@gmail.com

ckay
As far as using products over the Glass Coat you better check with them... it will be interesting to see what happens when the first bird sh*ts on the hood and it etches the clear .. will they reclear the hood? These warranties have more outs than you can imagine. Do you have to have it reapplied periodically at your cost?

Re the Glass Coat ... you should have asked these questions before you paid for it.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Cruisin'

yes, i should have asked questions. I did read the warranty. It seems pretty good, but you are right-there are probably a lot of outs. It said it does cover, bird droppings, bugs, tar, tree sap, etc ...any damage they cause it says 100 percent coverage. it also lists what it doesn't cover-accidents resulting in paint damage, such as collision with other vehicle, etc... They also put a a protectant on all the leather interior and dashboard. It covers, food stains, grease marks, vomit, blood, dirt stains, etc.... 100 percent. Does not cover if accident causes a rip in material, etc... But you are right, I am sure there are a lot of other details. But the warranty did look good.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
As far as using products over the Glass Coat you better check with them... it will be interesting to see what happens when the first bird sh*ts on the hood and it etches the clear .. will they reclear the hood? These warranties have more outs than you can imagine. Do you have to have it reapplied periodically at your cost?

Re the Glass Coat ... you should have asked these questions before you paid for it.
Sorry, for adding more, but after reading reviews online, research, i see i payed for something I didn't need to. I payed like $350 for this stuff. I don't think it will hurt anything, except my pocketbook! So again, could someone put my on to the right path of keeping my new car clean and shiny! What wash? sealer? wax? etc... I like the idea of spraying on a detailer or spritz right after washing before drying. Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wish I could've read this before i began detailing my car, would've saved tons of time researching. Great post!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM
5th Gear

Great post with lots of useful information!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Very informative thread, thanks! I plan to clay/buff my new to me TL here very soon with my 7424XP.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:21 PM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I did my first wash after purchasing my used TL. I used Meguiar's Gold Class wash, then I dried it off with a dry microfibre towel, but I still seen these swirls. Is it wax? The dealer I bought it from said he had it detailed. I'm new to the whole washing process so I only bought the Meguair's and Turtle Platinum Series Ultra Gloss Liquid Wax.

Can I just apply the wax on my next wash or do I have to fix this first?

Last edited by jeeva86; 10-15-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
wow, does the whole car look like that? That definitely should be fixed. Was that there before you did anything? If it was done by the dealer (or whoever dealer had do it) I would take it back and point out the damage. That looks like hours and hours of polishing to remove.

Oh....I think you should start a new thread for this as well.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Those are holograms caused by the detailer not knowing how to use a rotary buffer. Your not going to remove those by hand. I'd point it out to the dealer and maybe they will fix it .. Usually they can't because thier detailer doesn't know how ..

A good detailer with a Random Orbital and the right polishes / pads can do it in a couple hours.

I see a lot of cars from dealers like that. If that had to buff it like that it usually means the paint was in pretty rough shape.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
wow, does the whole car look like that? That definitely should be fixed. Was that there before you did anything? If it was done by the dealer (or whoever dealer had do it) I would take it back and point out the damage. That looks like hours and hours of polishing to remove.
He wouldn't be able to do that by hand.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:41 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the information EXCELDETAIL. Love to learn new tricks and tips!!!!!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:11 PM
10th Gear

Seriously thanks for the post, you condensed more useful information into a few paragraphs than the entire world wide web put together. Very useful for a new TSX owner like myself.. Thanks man
Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
6th Gear

Thanks so much for the post.

I have been taking my car to get detailed because I am too intimidated to ruin my new car. This is overwhelming. I think I will start with just a car wash after getting the right equipment. Then I will work my way into the other steps if time allows a diy.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the grit guard bucket insert? i have a black 2012 AWD Advance TL and i want to take every step to avoid scratches and swirls. i bought a sheepskin mitt and waffle weave microfiber towels, and am considering a couple grit guard inserts.

i have engineer friends who have reviewed the use instructions for the grit guard and are skeptical that it provides any benefit. one even suggests it will be counter productive based on the instructions to shake the mitt vigorously in the bucket. he says that will just stir up the debris and cause it to attach to the mitt.

anyway, i would appreciate the thoughts of anyone with experience with this product.

thanks much in advance.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by drive4show
has anyone had any experience (good or bad) with the grit guard bucket insert? i have a black 2012 AWD Advance TL and i want to take every step to avoid scratches and swirls. i bought a sheepskin mitt and waffle weave microfiber towels, and am considering a couple grit guard inserts.

i have engineer friends who have reviewed the use instructions for the grit guard and are skeptical that it provides any benefit. one even suggests it will be counter productive based on the instructions to shake the mitt vigorously in the bucket. he says that will just stir up the debris and cause it to attach to the mitt.

anyway, i would appreciate the thoughts of anyone with experience with this product.

thanks much in advance.
Well first off you don't need to shake the mitt vigorously to release anthing in it .. a good mitt will release everything with just a swish in the bucket.

As for your engineer friend ....he is off base here .. without a grit guard of some sort you "can" possibly refloat some grit but most of the stuff that causes harm will settle in the bottom. You don't beed to spend $$ on a commercail one & shipping. I made my own from an egg crate light defuser . You can get 4 out of a 2 x 4' defuser .. put 2 in the bottom of your pail.

All I have in mine is 1 and it does the trick.

The other thing is if your marring using a sheepskin mitt then you scrubbing to hard. 4 light strokes will get off the same as 1 aggressive stroke and no marring.

Here is a pix of mine

Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jesstzn
thanks for the reply. i do appreciate it. it's been a while since i had a black car. my previous car was a 2005 TL. It was silver so it didn't show any scratches. Nice creativity with the "gritguard" btw. thanks again.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 PM
4th Gear

Great info thanks! What is your thought on Meguiars Ultimate products?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:21 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Nottinghamer
Great info thanks! What is your thought on Meguiars Ultimate products?
I just bought the Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax.
I am a newbie but I think it's great stuff!

Btw... how do you guys clean the wheel wells?
Do you take off the tires for this job?

I have a 2012 TL and its a pretty tight area to get your hands in there.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:46 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently purchased a brand new RDX. And I'm glad you posted this thread. I was starting to feel bad that I didn't pay for the "factory paint sealant" which would of cost me another $800. The finance guy was scaring me into thinking that my paint won't last as long without purchasing the service.

I'm also wondering how people feel about washing and waxing your cars yourself or having a professional wash/waxer do it for you.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by inotlate
I recently purchased a brand new RDX. And I'm glad you posted this thread. I was starting to feel bad that I didn't pay for the "factory paint sealant" which would of cost me another $800. The finance guy was scaring me into thinking that my paint won't last as long without purchasing the service.

I'm also wondering how people feel about washing and waxing your cars yourself or having a professional wash/waxer do it for you.
I am a newbie and I just starting washing and detailing my car.
I bought my car just a couple of months ago and I ran the car through the automatic car wash about 3 times and I had the exterior detailed. The car was scratched up to hell.

The first wax job I've done taught me a very important lesson as to why you should wash your own car. Apparently I did not wash the car thoroughly enough. Few particles got on to the foam applicator while waxing and I ended up with more swirl marks. Lesson learned here is that if you do not use clean towels and what not to wash, dry and wax your car, you are going to end up with swirls and scratches. If you want your car to look its best, do you own washes.

It was very tiring in the beginning but after a couple of times and you see the gloss and shine on your baby... it is very rewarding. I think I found a new hobby if you will.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 PM
4th Gear

good info

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Car Care suggestions/advice.