Need some help with the process..

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help with the process..

Hi all;

I've got some questions that I hope you all could help me with. I just got a new car a few weeks ago, an '06 Acura TL. It's Black. About 3 days after taking delivery of the car, I noticed that it was loaded up with small swirls and some spider-webbing. None of the swirls can be caught with my fingernails, and the paint does feel pretty smooth. I'd like to give it a good detailing before winter sets in. I live in the Northeast, so that should be like, this weekend!

Here's what I have to date.

PC 7424 w/Edge Pad Kit
XMT 2 & 1 Swirl Remover
Pinnacle Paint Cleanser
Pinnacle Liquid Sov Wax
AG Foam Gun w/DP Foam Gun "stuff"
WG clay kit with the Palm applicator thingy ( Checked the manufacturers site, and I do believe that is the technical description)
Various cleaners for the interior (Pinnacle, also from AG.net)

What I'd like to do to detail the car is the following:

Wash: Foam Gun w/Boars head Brush, yet to be ordered.
Paint Cleanser
XMT 2 & 1 for Swirl Removal
Polish - What would you all recommend for black?
Glaze - What would you all recommend for black?
Wax - I'm thinking Pinnacle Sov Paste? Can I use that with a PC?

So my questions are as follows:

Does this process make sense to you all?
What pads (Edge System) would I be using for each step (I need to order spares)? So far I am pretty comfortable with the orange cutting pad, and very comfortable with the blue and white.
Do the products that I have so far make sense, or is there something easier or better ( I know, that's a relative term)?

Please keep in mind that I am a novice when it comes to detailing, but have gotten a boatload of practice with the PC on my old Deere tractor. Whenever possible, small words would be easiest for me to understand..LOL.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is standard process used by most:
1. Wash - most use two buckets (one for wash and one for rinsing the mitt) but you have a foam gun so you'll just need one bucket to rinse the brush or mitt. Rinse and dry.

2. Clay -
Note: You can incorporate claying during the rinse using soapy water as a lube.

3. Polish - Start with the least abrasive one first and then work up. As far as pad selection goes, I usually start with a light polishing pad or a light cut pad. Work in sections (2 X 2, 2 X3) and frequently check your work. Don't rush! I would suggest getting a halogen work light if you're working inside.

4. Seal - Use a finishing pad with your favorite sealant/wax at 3-4 speed. Hand buff or use a MF bonnett. I prefer hand application, buff by hand and follow with a MF bonnett at speed 3.

There really is no specific polish for a dark paint. Can't comment on on the XMT line although it was developed for use with a PC. I probably would have stayed with the Advanced Swirl Remover and then followed with the finishing polish. I think you'll be fine with the liquid souveran. I've seen a few cars with it and they looked really good.

What one uses for products is a personal choice. If the product does what it's supposed to and you get the desired results and happy with it, you can't ask for more.