Need some guidance for NPB

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need some guidance for NPB

Hey guys - newbie here so any help is greatly appreciated.

First time using a Porter Cable on my NPB TSX and not getting the results I want.

My Process:
Optimum Compound II With Hydrotech Blue Pad
Optimum Polish with Hydrotech Tangerine

After I do the Opt Compound II I can see immediate results with removal of a ton of light swirls and scratches. The paint looks much clearer but there still remain some deeper scratches that just wont come out.

Do you guys think I need to get some heavier cutting pads or a different combination to get some better results? What would you suggest?

It doesn't help that I see all the excellent detailing write ups on this forum and expect better results..even for my first time. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Thanks Excel!

I know I am going down a dangerous road with detailing. My brother just saw my work and he said it looks fine but I can see the scratches in certain angles. I can see how this gets addicting fast.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, I deleted my previous reply after researching the latest and greatest Hydro tech, lol. (sorry)
Try the orange with the Compound. It appears the blue is more aggressive then the Orange?
Your order of aggressiveness is as follows, from least to most.
Opt Pol/Orange
Opt Cmpnd/Orange
Opt Pol Blue
Opt Cmpnd/Blue
Once you use Blue and/or the compound, chances are your going to need to follow up with the Polish II and a finer pad, which I hope youhave.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by exceldetail
Ok, I deleted my previous reply after researching the latest and greatest Hydro tech, lol. (sorry)
Try the orange with the Compound. It appears the blue is more aggressive then the Orange?
Your order of aggressiveness is as follows, from least to most.
Opt Pol/Orange
Opt Cmpnd/Orange
Opt Pol Blue
Opt Cmpnd/Blue
Once you use Blue and/or the compound, chances are your going to need to follow up with the Polish II and a finer pad, which I hope youhave.
I actually started with the Hydro Orange first with the polish then moved up to the Blue with the compound. (least agressive to more agressive)

Some deeper scratches still remain though. I am not sure if its my technique or my product/pad selection.

So from a product pad standpoint I have used the most aggressive I have currently. How long does it take to work in optimum compound?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Its definitely not the product. I can vouch for the Optimum products. Its hard to get perfect results first time around, this is all new to you! Secondly, its more then likely not the pads either. Its just the fact that you are not familiar with what your doing, the pad and products characteristics are totally unfamiliar. I suggest you go back to the lightest combination you have, and try again, but adjust your technique. Its EXTREMELY important that you familiarize yourself with the products and combinations, pressures applied, speeds used, arm movement etc. I always suggest a minimum of three passes. DONT stop there. As long as you have lubrication, do 4, 5 or even 6 passes. The worst thing you can do is expect professional results the first time out, it just doesnt work that way. You can expect cleaner paint, and more clarity.
Be patient, and try again. Every time you use your PC, you WILL learn something.....
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Advanced

Thanks Excel.

I am going to try it all again today. I did a little more research and I dont think I am letting the polish break down long enough. I am going to do some extra passes and see how it turns out. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by ofusball21
Thanks Excel.

I am going to try it all again today. I did a little more research and I dont think I am letting the polish break down long enough. I am going to do some extra passes and see how it turns out. Thanks again for your help.
Optimun doesn't break down like the megs stuff because of the lubrication properties so you can work it a long time ... You also might be using too much thus not letting the product to work.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Optimun doesn't break down like the megs stuff because of the lubrication properties so you can work it a long time ... You also might be using too much thus not letting the product to work.
I am using 3 nickel sized dots in a triangle for a 5.5 inch pad. Is that too much?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I am using 3 nickel sized dots in a triangle for a 5.5 inch pad. Is that too much?
Once the pad is primed I use about 6 pencil eraser sized dots spaced evenly around the pas about 1" in.

Give that a try.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Any updates as to your progress? Love to help you out if you have some questions Nad!!