Need Shiny Paint!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:42 AM
ABP 6 SPD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Shiny Paint!!!

I bought my car used and the people before me didn't wax and take care of it as it should have been. It has swirl marks and such all over. I took it to a detailer and paid like $100 for exterior only detail with compounding. Well let me tell you the swirl marks are still there def not worth the money. Is there anyway to get that new car paint back??? I know its tough because it ABP but come on theres got to be a way to get rid of all the swirls and now the swirls from the buffer from the detailer. Someone know a good detailer in the area or a process that i can do thats proven???
Old 10-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well first thing I would do is go back to the detailer and point this out and get them to either give you your money back or do it right. A first time PC user and make a cars paint look great with no swirls.

Next thing is to start normal matenience on your paint just watch what products you use to wash and dry your car to avoid swirls.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Sounds like the detailer just did a patch up job to get your money. If you weren't satisfied with the outcome, you should have told him, showed him the swirls were still there and have it redone or a refund. Some pictures would help to better assess what the surface looks like. There are alternatives before jumping straight to a compound. Hopefully, it can be corrected. Most sruface defects can be removed with the right pad and polish combo. I'm sure others will comment the same way. Here's a thread by 3Putt and he's from NJ.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Go at it yourself, then theres no one to blame but yourself! Oh, by the way, its the most rewarding and the first step to total car care addiction, to which all of the above posters are also guilty of.
Do yourself a favor, get addicted like the rest of us!
You wont find a better place for resources to help you get your car looking its abolute best, then Acurazine Wash and Wax.....I promise.....
Old 10-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Go at it yourself, then theres no one to blame but yourself! Oh, by the way, its the most rewarding and the first step to total car care addiction, to which all of the above posters are also guilty of.
You wont find a better place for resources to help you get your car looking its abolute best, then Acurazine Wash and Wax.....I promise.....
Need more wax.... Need more wax......
Old 10-14-2006, 08:13 AM
The Old Grey Whistle Test

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by exceldetail
Old 10-30-2006, 09:25 PM
13.5buysit

Originally Posted by R6BRI
I bought my car used and the people before me didn't wax and take care of it as it should have been. It has swirl marks and such all over. I took it to a detailer and paid like $100 for exterior only detail with compounding. Well let me tell you the swirl marks are still there def not worth the money. Is there anyway to get that new car paint back??? I know its tough because it ABP but come on theres got to be a way to get rid of all the swirls and now the swirls from the buffer from the detailer. Someone know a good detailer in the area or a process that i can do thats proven???
It could be a bad painters mistake. I've never put swirls on a paint job with a orbital buffer. A good detail guy should be able to tell if he can fix it by looking or testing a spot. A lot of CW industry magazines are pushing Express Detailing( bring high profits). Ask some old school car buffs for detailers and don't be cheap.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:06 AM
ABP 6 SPD

I didn't think i was being cheap. I told the guy i wanted the best and only exterior. How much should that cost?? Im just going to do it by myself like was said earlier it will give me some self gratification. Anyone know of any threads that have a process in detail?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R6BRI
Im just going to do it by myself like was said earlier it will give me some self gratification. Anyone know of any threads that have a process in detail?
One of the best resources for detailing would be Autopia's online "How To" Library. Here are two other sites about detailing. OCD and Car Care Research Guide.

The basic normal process without going into the finer points would be:
1. Wash - use a soap with lubricity to wash the surface of the vehicle to remove any dirt, road debris and contaminants.
2. Clay - a clay bar will remove imbedded contaminants from the paint surface creating a smooth and clean surface.
3. Polish - a creamy, liquidy substance with diminishing abrasives that will correct surface defects such as swirls, minor scratching and oxidation. Will also increase gloss and reflectivity of the paint and will provide a sterile surface for a sealant to bond.
4. Sealant - the last step is a sacrificial layer to protect the paint. Recommend using a polymer for durability and longevity.