Need Opinions on routine and products

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008 | 02:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Need Opinions on routine and products

Hi,
Its time to detail the TL (I have procrastinated, and then had to deal with a repaint,but its been 30 days)

First off, here is my current routine and products I use:
Zaino z-5, z-2, z-6 waxes
Zaino z-7 car wash soap
Zaino Claybar
Stoner's Invisible Glass
Lexol leather conditioner
303 Aerospace protectant
Folex carpet cleaners
Sheepskin mitt
Leaf-blower
PC
Sonus pads (blue, white and yellow)
Assorted brushes from meg's.

My routine (weekly wash)
1. Rinse Car off
2. Using sheepskin mitt, z-7 and bucket with grit-guard, wash the car.
3. Rinse off car.
4. Re-wash car as in step 2 (clean off rims with MF and z-7 mix)
5. Rinse off car
6. using bare hose nossle, sheet water off car.
7. Dry car using leaf-blower

Waxing (once a year)
1. Wash car using z-7
2. Clay car using zaino clay bar, Lube being z-7 mixed with water
3. Wash car with z-7
4. Take smaller scratches out with scratch-x
5. Polish car with color-x
6. wash car to get rid of any fillers
7. apply z-5 then z-2 in alternating pattern, 5x each, with z-6 in between

Interior (monthly)
1. vacuum interior
2. Clean all surfaces with 5:1 water to woolite solution
3. Dry surfaces
4. Park in hot sun and apply leather conditioner (lexol)

Now here's the issue, I'm low on supplies, the car has swirls from the dealer-ship washing it, and has been repainted in one area, with some holograms on it. I need help with the choice of polishes, swirl mark removers and other items to clean it all up.

I have researched quite a bit on here and various other car forums, and absorbed a lot of info. These are the products that I think I should buy, please comment on any wrong or better, or if the choice is right:

Interior
Leatherique twins for the leather
Re-buy 303 aerospace protecant
New bottle of Folex

Exterior
New case of zaino, OR maybe some zymol vintage (I will need to save up quite a bit, thats a mortgage payment...)
Menzerna polishes, 106ff and 87MC and as well Optimum Compound 32oz.
Blackwow for trim
NevrDull for metal
Some sort of tire dressing (No silicon in it)
Plastic-X for plastic scratches on headlights and random trim
Some sort of tire dressing, need recommendations for this one as the aerosol ones don;t cut it anymore

Like I said before, I need to do a full detail, wash, clay, polish and wax. IF you don't understand what I need help with, here it is:
1. Critque the washing/cleaning processes I use
2. Products I need to buy to restore car condition to no swirls/scratches
3. Which products to buy

Just to add, I know OTC products like scatch X or color X won't cut it, so that's why I'm investing in the other polishes/compounds. If there is anything better, please do advise

Thanks!

PS. Excel, will you ever sell Menzerna products?
Old 07-13-2008 | 10:05 AM
Former Sponsor

PS. Excel, will you ever sell Menzerna products?
I actually had a deal with them a couple years ago. They were looking for west coast distribution. It was the right place at the right time!
Then they backed out at ordering time. Thanks Mr Silverman!!
Menzerna USA has left a very foul taste with me. To be so close, and then to be told, "Oh nevermind".......Emails exchanges were never replied to, phone calls to Menzerna were never returned. Im so anti Menzerna, its pathetic. I have heard a lot of great things about Menzerna, as well as some not so good things about it.......I guess each product, no matter who makes it, finds those that swear by it, and it finds those that swear at it! Its sad that I have developed an opinion on a product brand solely due to extreme dissatisfaction with the companies customer service.

On another note, theres a cat in the bag over at Optimum Tech.
Man I wish I could spill the beans! But I cant cuz I would love to bring it up while talking about Menzerna..........
Old 07-13-2008 | 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by exceldetail
I actually had a deal with them a couple years ago. They were looking for west coast distribution. It was the right place at the right time!
Then they backed out at ordering time. Thanks Mr Silverman!!
Menzerna USA has left a very foul taste with me. To be so close, and then to be told, "Oh nevermind".......Emails exchanges were never replied to, phone calls to Menzerna were never returned. Im so anti Menzerna, its pathetic. I have heard a lot of great things about Menzerna, as well as some not so good things about it.......I guess each product, no matter who makes it, finds those that swear by it, and it finds those that swear at it! Its sad that I have developed an opinion on a product brand solely due to extreme dissatisfaction with the companies customer service.

On another note, theres a cat in the bag over at Optimum Tech.
Man I wish I could spill the beans! But I cant cuz I would love to bring it up while talking about Menzerna..........
Thats pretty unprofessional of menzerna.... But any comments or suggestions on what to do or change or buy? PS, exceldetail, you need to fix your site, under tire dressing, theres no Surf City dressings, but under surf city you have dressings!